HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2001, 02:25 PM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fly4fun
I do have AMA insurance so I should be covered unless AMA has a clause that Im not covered on a school property. I have to read the AMA Rules and Regs again. Am I breaking some kind of law flying on a Public School Property? Also sometimes I fly in a park in My neiborhood with an association. Im still waiting to be told I cannot fly there by the association manager. Im just trying to find out a good place to fly without getting into trouble. Thanks for the reply.
fly4fun,

Just remember that AMA rules state that a flight line must be established and maintained at all times while you are flying. I have interpreted this as, in the case of parks, an imaginary line behind which spectators watch and your flight must not cross that line. If this is the case, I'd worry about being covered by insurance.

In many situations I've been in, it is extremely difficult to keep the spectators behind me.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2001, 04:50 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
What happens if spectators don't listen and cross the "flight line"? I can stand there and scream at people to get off the runway til I go hoarse, but they'll still keep running round and round like it's some sort of high school track If it's beyond our control, can we be faulted for still flying? After all, it would be extraordinarily unsafe to land if the people we were landing to avoid endangering were on the runway!
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Oct 18, 2001, 07:38 AM
crashnburn
n/a Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Fehr
What happens if spectators don't listen and cross the "flight line"? I can stand there and scream at people to get off the runway til I go hoarse, but they'll still keep running round and round like it's some sort of high school track If it's beyond our control, can we be faulted for still flying? After all, it would be extraordinarily unsafe to land if the people we were landing to avoid endangering were on the runway!
That's exactly my point. If a flight line is not maintained at a park (because you really have no control over the crowd), will the AMA insurance cover you.

Don
Old Oct 18, 2001, 05:00 PM
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2001
91 Posts
I've been flying a local school fields for about 8 years now, with gliders and small electric planes. Never had a problem. I do have a 'golden rule' of not flying when anybody else is in the field. This means that sometimes I go back home or try another field, but like I said...never any problems! If people arrive to watch after I've started flying I get them to stand next to me or behind me. My insurance responsibilities are covered by an addition to my home insurance...I chk'd...
Wayner is offline Find More Posts by Wayner
Old Oct 22, 2001, 12:28 AM
WI
Joined Oct 2001
18 Posts
I also fly at the local high school. It is ideal, with a paved track for takeoff/landing, and they have about 12 seamless football and soccer fields. It doesn't get much better. I also use the gym on weekends. I work for the school district, in case you were wondering, and I no one seems to mind...in fact most people are interested in what Im doing.

Here is one tip for you if you intend on asking for permission to fly on school grounds:

Try to find a tech-ed or shop teacher and ask them if they mind. They may bring the whole class out to watch.

Or...ask a janitor. I would be very suprised if they denied your request.

If you are confronted in the future, you can honestly say that you had been given permission.
AndyM is offline Find More Posts by AndyM
Old Oct 22, 2001, 02:50 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
Speaking of! The evening janitor at the elementry school recognized me the other day and shouted over as I got my plane out. He used to work in my office building and was the best damn janitor I've ever seen (and I'm not just saying that! he was a great guy... we even gave him a going away party when he left, and passed the hat for a couple hundred bucks worth!) Turns out his startup janitorial company got the contract for the school and a couple other places and he's got a couple guys working for him And at any rate, I know he doesn't care that I'm flying there, lol. I'm afraid to ask official permission because I'm afraid they'd say no. As it is now, the worst I'd expect them to really do is ask you to leave.
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Oct 23, 2001, 09:06 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,322 Posts
Small World Huh.
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun