HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:10 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Discussion
Parafoils

Has anyone been successful at taking a small ram air Power or traction type kite , and turned it into a powered paraglider type aircraft?
I saw a site (cant find it now) that sold a RC paraglider glider and also a RC Powered paraglider. And there is also another called Sea breeze I think , that has made a RC powered parachute . PPG's and PPC's Are about the same , but the ram air wings are a little different in function and shape though .
Just wondering if anyone had tried it with dedicated ram air kite yet .
inventing_man is offline Find More Posts by inventing_man
Last edited by inventing_man; May 21, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:22 AM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
311 Posts
I'm in experiments with vectored parafoils.

What I can say, is: it's not so easy to vectorize a ram air wing like the vectorization of a kite . Lots of new problems.

Will report, when I've successfully made it.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Apr 15, 2011, 09:17 AM
The Gorge - Oregon USofA
Joined Sep 2006
151 Posts
You mean like these?

http://opale-paramodels.com/
Twisted Sheets is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Sheets
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:23 PM
check the crazyplanes ...
Germany
Joined Dec 2006
311 Posts
Yes, wingspan 160cm, but not with a tricycle undercarriage. I'm using different vector units in my experiments.

flattermann
flattermann is offline Find More Posts by flattermann
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:48 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Yes that is it ,, the Opale . Thanks for the link.
Not really sure vectoring would work ? Its weight shift for turns and power on and off for elevator function . Vectoring might unload the wing ?
It looks like maybe the line sets , on a typical ram air kite would need to be redone for getting the weight in the right spot and the wing to properly spread ?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
\
I found a open source download called surf plan that designs ram air kites . It also configures the bridal and line cascade . I have not had a lot of time to study all the functions , Has anyone used it yet ?
Last edited by inventing_man; Apr 25, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
Sky foil kite idea

Inventing man
I am thinking of making a ram air wing by sewing three of these kites together to get a 60" wing span.

http://www.dynakite.com/store/cart.p...duct_list&c=66
and look for sky fly kite

I made one from scratch and it flew great as a kite, have not tried it on RC contols at this time.

A friend of mine did an electric RC with a1.3 meter parafoil wing he bought at Amazon . com (about $30), if you are interested I can send you the Youtube link which shows the gondola and wing flying.
nvmike is offline Find More Posts by nvmike
Last edited by nvmike; May 16, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Hey thanks ! Post it here so we all can see !
I ordered a HK paraglider wing for 25 yesterday. Its a 2 meter wing . The lines are already set for use as a PG . Looks like trying to re-line a kite for the correct CoB and AoA is quite an undertaking . There is a " buddy price" on these wings if Someone orders in 13 days It would be 14 dollars , and I get a 10 dollar refund . http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14284 heres what it looks like . There are a few things about this wing that are well documented in the HK forum.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/f...ics.asp?FID=93

I found a dated ( started 2009 ) RC paraglider build thread in another topix on this site , So I'll start it here instead .

What I think I will do here , is build the trike frame light to make it look like a current full scale trike Like the Green Eagle 4 stroke and try to sorta scale it to the size of the wing . The prop will be bigger I suppose , But thats ok, I can work around that .
I'm building the frame light because Weight shift will be the primary method of control and use the brakes to "show off " later after I have a clue about how to fly it . LOL !
So , in building the overall trike frame light , the weight shift mechanism will carry the primary bulk weight that makes up the airframe weight . Adding up the HK trike and equipment they call for , came out to 3 pounds and that makes it fly at its best reportedly . Weight needs to be In the proper location for weight shift , which is where the pilots butt is, right between the risers . This will be a servo moved weight box on little bearings for wheels inside its own box to keep it in place . It will move left and right of center. And it wont take much movement to make the wing turn . The weights in this box can be added to or subtracted from , to match flying conditions . Weights can also be adjusted in this weight box to help counter prop torque and fly more level by setting them more to one side ..If needed
Thats the plan anyway . The trike frame to wing scale works out to about 15 inches long and 4 inches wide , not including landing gear .
Heres the Green Eagle
Last edited by inventing_man; May 19, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:39 PM
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
Question for Inventing man

How do I order from HK so you get a credit?

I am looking forward to your postings on the project.

NvMike at mike_myrhow@yahoo.com
Last edited by nvmike; May 19, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
Parafoil video

Here is a link to a 3 minute video showing some construction details and a flight.
The aluminum frame is a Dollar store level ($1) at 2 oz. Turning is done with a servo pulling wing tip lines down, pitch is by motor speed. Motor is 28x34 outrunner with 11x5.5 prop from headsuprc. Canopy is 1.3 meter. This is not my build, the builder and pilot is my friend Lionel.

rc.paramotor easy to do.rm (3 min 42 sec)
Last edited by nvmike; May 20, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:28 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Mike that is just cool as heck ! A bloody level ...who would have thunk it . LOL .Did you do any line mods to the kite?
When I first saw it in the vid I though of using a large shelf bracket for something quick . Its already bent LOL .
I thought I posted the link for the "buddy" buy thing. Sorry , I'm trying to find it again. DANG HK! make it easy why dont you .

Ok i found it http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?c...2-F66C65ABAF01 Look at the very bottom of the page .
Last edited by inventing_man; May 20, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
Reply to Inventing Man

The trike was made by a friend of mine, the light weight level was my idea.
No changes were made to the foil or the lines, other than some very small adjustments to the line lengths to trim the sail. The lines attach to the T toward the top, the cross bar is hinged in the middle and activated by a servo.

I am looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Mike
Last edited by nvmike; May 30, 2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old May 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Cool , so the wing was more or less made for a RC paraglider I take it .
I beam construction , cant beat it !

While I'm waiting on the wing to arrive , I'll be doing some frame drawings and fabrication trials . I made a prop shroud out of the rim and top portion of a plastic pale today . Its about 10 1/2 inches Od and a inch wide . , at least its a start .
Old May 20, 2011, 09:29 PM
Joined Nov 2009
38 Posts
My Parafoil build

For my first parafoil build I plan to use the fuselage from my Rogallo kite. This will cut the building time down. This will give me the advantage of elevator and rudder while I am working on the trim on the parafoil.

I will add a vector thrust unit (to start with I will just vector the yaw). I have the VT unit finished and bench tested.

My goal is to have a frame (fuselage) with vector thrust and then switch between Rogallo, stunt kite, parafoil and fixed wing. I am presently using one fuse with a KF foam wing, a biwing and a pizza box wing, it takes just a few minutes to switch wings. I will post pictures and a video when I get it all working.
Old May 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
Whats a search engine?
Missouri
Joined Jun 2006
886 Posts
Versatility is Good ! Believe it or not , I'm working on a full scale F.A.R. part 103 legal Tri-sport trike myself . It's to fly fabric -n- tube ultralight glider wings , PPG wings and Hang Glider wings , using a 4 stroke v twin for power with minimal hardware change overs to swap wings out . About 20 min to re rig . What you see here weighs about 30 pounds . Test loaded to 2 x over nornal load cap or 600 pounds max

Name: TST Frame Pic.jpg
Views: 222
Size: 28.5 KB
Description:
On the RC paraglider trike I did some template making today for the frame , I came up with a cool idea on how to build it to look like tubes , but its not . And it saves a lot of time not having to add attachment points and a lot stronger and lighter too . I'll have the jig saw cranked up tomorrow .
Last edited by inventing_man; May 24, 2011 at 10:07 PM.