SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:40 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Some comments I forgot to say in my maiden post...

- Snaps are great. And I'm still on stock setup.

- When you look at the wing, you think the wingloading will be great, but when you stop the motor (heli spin very freely), it's not as floaty as it look. I would say that flying until you hit throttle cutoff may be tricky if you're far from your landing strip.

@Joel: Nice low KE in your video

Wind is now around 20mph here too. Look like it could be like this for a few days now. Glad I could do my quick maiden for sure, and luckily, it's a great day for the F-27Q Stryker! Off to the field again with my windy birdy!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2011, 11:54 AM
USA, VA, Manassas
Joined Aug 2010
43 Posts
Well maidened mine. Now...I knew it wasn't going to go well...BUT it went better than I expected. I flew around a bit, just trying to get used to ailerons and drained one battery. Second battery I got up and started playing a bit with rolls and such. All went well until I went in to a roll too low. Ended up nose first into the ground.

Damage was the prop mount snapped and a bit of cracking on the nose of the fuselage. Already glued together, just need to get a new prop mount. I'd assume I can buy a beast mount.

There will be a learning curve for me with the Sbach, but it is fun to fly.
ajsnow6234 is offline Find More Posts by ajsnow6234
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:16 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
Nice vid RG ! Man you have a lot of plane eating trees there. I only have 2 where I fly and field is about twice the size where you are flying. The trees seem to always be eye balling my planes . Really shows how good the acceleration is. I need to set up some sort of vid hat to make some post with vids too. Still really windy here so I might just drink a few cold ones and hope tomorrow will have less wind.
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:19 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
Well maidened mine. Now...I knew it wasn't going to go well...BUT it went better than I expected. I flew around a bit, just trying to get used to ailerons and drained one battery. Second battery I got up and started playing a bit with rolls and such. All went well until I went in to a roll too low. Ended up nose first into the ground.

Damage was the prop mount snapped and a bit of cracking on the nose of the fuselage. Already glued together, just need to get a new prop mount. I'd assume I can buy a beast mount.

There will be a learning curve for me with the Sbach, but it is fun to fly.
Where did the prop mount break - shaft right behind the prop or somewhere else. I ask because mine broke on a "not a crash, but just less than a perfect landing". It broke right behind the prop. I have an old beast that has been piled in hard more times than I want to think about as I was flying it before I was ready for it, but have never broken this part. A couple of props on the beast, but never this piece. On my Sbach, I did not even break the prop or mar the plane when this piece broke.
And for your question, I put one off one of my Beast's on it and it works fine. But if yours broke on the shaft like mine, make sure you have the spacer that fits behind the prop. I did not have mine, so had to make something to take up the extra room so the prop would tighten down. The beast uses the big plate that the spinner mounts on for this purpose, but the Sbach spinner just mounts on the prop and needs a spacer behind the prop. One of the three little screws seems to have the threads in the motor pretty well gone and didn't want to tighten up, but I put a drop of ca on the screw and tightened it as much as I dared and it has been holding fine.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Jul 01, 2011, 01:12 PM
Horizon Employee
Joined Jan 2006
84 Posts
Enjoyed reading the posts guys. A little insight into the set-up I prefer.

Run the battery all the way aft in the slot. If you have some aerobatic experience this is the best CG. Its not snappy and elevator response is good. Light but not twitchy.

On KE, as some have noted, its not real strong without the SFGs. My preference is the largest set of SFGs. Glue them on and go fly. With them on its a whole now airplane. Same as it was everywhere eelse, but KE and anything where you use rudder is MUCH easier and better. Try them. If your like me, you wont fly it without them anymore.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old Jul 01, 2011, 01:41 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
How easy/hard is it to swap props? No more difficult than it is with the Beast. ....
Thanks, Joel.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 01, 2011, 01:42 PM
USA, VA, Manassas
Joined Aug 2010
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly View Post
Where did the prop mount break - shaft right behind the prop or somewhere else. I ask because mine broke on a "not a crash, but just less than a perfect landing". It broke right behind the prop. I have an old beast that has been piled in hard more times than I want to think about as I was flying it before I was ready for it, but have never broken this part. A couple of props on the beast, but never this piece. On my Sbach, I did not even break the prop or mar the plane when this piece broke.
And for your question, I put one off one of my Beast's on it and it works fine. But if yours broke on the shaft like mine, make sure you have the spacer that fits behind the prop. I did not have mine, so had to make something to take up the extra room so the prop would tighten down. The beast uses the big plate that the spinner mounts on for this purpose, but the Sbach spinner just mounts on the prop and needs a spacer behind the prop. One of the three little screws seems to have the threads in the motor pretty well gone and didn't want to tighten up, but I put a drop of ca on the screw and tightened it as much as I dared and it has been holding fine.
well it looks like it broke right behind the prop. I was under the impression i'd need the prop adapter part #EFLU4167, but its not available yet. I'll have to look around for what i need from the beast to make it work.
ajsnow6234 is offline Find More Posts by ajsnow6234
Old Jul 01, 2011, 02:19 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Thanks for the comment mmcconville. And props on the plane, no pun intended. Definitely, the best ultra micro I've owned.

Just curious, where do you like your cg to be. As I said earlier I had to move my battery all the way forward (and even that really wasn't enough) to get my cg at the manual's recommended 29mm back from the leading edge.

I haven't tried the SFG's yet, maybe on my next flight. Will the SFG's diminish the ability to fly in strong winds? So far my Sbach has handled the wind exceptionally well. I was flying around in 8mph winds like it was 0 mph out.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:33 PM
Joined Jun 2011
135 Posts
OMG - still windy here (20-25 mph+gusty). Going to the cold beer plan now. Just wanted to let mmcconville he did a great job designing this plane. Thank goodness you went with a brushless and real wing profile. I know about profit and sales but Im tired of lame ARFs having to be moded to just be fly-able. Good job ! Just wish I could get more time on my new Sbach .
nickimde is offline Find More Posts by nickimde
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsnow6234 View Post
well it looks like it broke right behind the prop. I was under the impression i'd need the prop adapter part #EFLU4167, but its not available yet. I'll have to look around for what i need from the beast to make it work.
As I said earlier, the one from the Beast fits. But make sure you have the spacer that goes behind the prop. Mine apparently disappeared when it broke or was never there. I made one from a small fiber washer we use at work. Drilled it out to fit the shaft and it works fine.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2008
698 Posts
Wow, I'll tell ya this thing is definitely a handful. I'm pretty good with micros, not an expert. I can fly the beast pretty smoothly, but the Sbach for me is going to take some serious practice. It's a rocket.
tamiyafan1975 is offline Find More Posts by tamiyafan1975
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
Wind and sfg?

Like an earlier poster, I would like to know if the sfg affect the planes ability to fly in a breeze. I am not as experienced as many here, and shy away from wind if at all possible, but the Sbach seems to almost laugh at a breeze compared to other ultra micros at least when flying without the sfg.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 04:57 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcconville View Post
On KE, as some have noted, its not real strong without the SFGs. My preference is the largest set of SFGs. Glue them on and go fly. With them on its a whole now airplane. Same as it was everywhere eelse, but KE and anything where you use rudder is MUCH easier and better. Try them. If your like me, you wont fly it without them anymore.
Have to love HH pros for showing up here! My problem with the Sbach is the fact that it does love to be pushed hard (way more than any of my other UMs). And the harder you push it, the more you smile! I have a feeling that my SFG won't last long so I want to keep them for a little later on. My biggest problem is the fact that I have a very short landing strip and must land hot. I think I'll break the SFG during one of my famous screwed up landing. Are they harder to break than they look? Somebody said: "make a template" and that sound like a great idea. And I'm also curious to find out if flying in heavy wind will be a problem with SFG on. No matter what Mike, this is a great UM for sure! Dang, I may need two of them. One with SFg and one without!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:18 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
Just got mail stating the UPS will be delivering my SBACH next Wednesday! Already programmed my DX8 and just need to wait. I really appreciate all of the comments from those of you who already have yours...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Jul 01, 2011, 05:23 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
I sincerely hope that none of you had the problems I had, my LHS ended up sending all the ones he received back after 4 out of 6 were bad. Really a shame that all the work and thought that Mike M and they guys put into this gets tainted with poor QC. I'll get one in a few months, after they fix em
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec