HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:36 PM
Winter Flyer
Yukon, Canada
Joined May 2008
108 Posts
Tough luck man. Hopefully that doesnt happen to me, cause the closest hobby shop is 2100 km away!! always a pain when you gotta wait for parts and stuff in the mail...
Spitfire22 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:56 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Well guys, went down and got a the replacement one, tried it out, seemed okay, got it home and after about 45 seconds of it being on with a fully charged battery the elevator stuck in the full down position and the left aileron stuck in full up, so two defective servos in this one. The motor was fine though. Really disappointed, it's dead calm and 65 out. Two in a row points to a defective batch. I hope you all have better luck....maybe I'll take it back and get a fresh beast......sigh.
SpartanExec is offline Find More Posts by SpartanExec
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanExec View Post
Well guys, went down and got a the replacement one, tried it out, seemed okay, got it home and after about 45 seconds of it being on with a fully charged battery the elevator stuck in the full down position and the left aileron stuck in full up, so two defective servos in this one. The motor was fine though. Really disappointed, it's dead calm and 65 out. Two in a row points to a defective batch. I hope you all have better luck....maybe I'll take it back and get a fresh beast......sigh.
That is not good.

Horizon sure has been having a lot of trouble with their products...
Had thought about getting one and having it ready...but the "E-Flite" label stops me from buying it...YMMV

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:15 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
I've had fairly good luck with HH products...DX8, UMX Beast (first one had a bad elevator servo), most of the other UM's and several Parkzone planes and never had an issue. As cool as the little tosser is, I might just get my money back and put it toward one of my larger Extreme Flight planes....best quality in an ARF I've ever seen.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,927 Posts
Don't get me wrong..HH does have some really cool micros..and when all is working right they are really enjoyable to fly.

But when you go out and spend $$ on a new plane and have trouble...then get a second one and have an issue...that right there would make me want to buy something else.

If there are issues in time they will get them solved...but the folks who got those ones now that have issues won't be to happy and HH working out the bugs down the road won't really matter at the moment.

I was really hoping these would be alright,and give e flite a second chance..wanted to use the electronics in a scratch build or two...guess i'll let some time go by and see how things go.

Ridgewalker
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:36 PM
Denver
Joined Mar 2004
460 Posts
Does anyone know which plane in Realflight and or Phoenix flies most like the UMX Sbach 342?
Thanks
vrex is offline Find More Posts by vrex
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:49 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanExec View Post
Got mine today, defective motor and elevator servo right outta the box. gotta head down and exchange it. At least my LHS is cool and doesn't make me send it back to horizon
sounds like why mine is in a tree
every thing was fine then no power and it didnt want to turn

rage now its stuck 30' up in a tree
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:02 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,876 Posts
I picked up my SBach at my LHS today and put 8 flights on it! Wooohooo! It's definitely faster than even the Hyperion/5043 Beast and its equal in vertical performance with the Hyp batteries, anyway. Even on the low rates, the elevator is touchier than the Beast's as well it should be with only 5% expo. But it's no big deal... "oh, THAT's the way it is" and then adapt.

I flew it 6 min on the 180's and 8 min on the 240's. Good power throughout. Pretty windy but it was controllable. The wind made it like it was on an elevator, it would bounce up and down with no pitch changes.

Did lots of touch 'n go's. Very nice to land... just greases it on. No KE's yet. Still a newb. But lots of loops and rolls. Oh, and speaking of newb, how GREAT is the color scheme for orientation!

EDIT: Needed 2 clicks up elevator. Very sensitive elevator. Without those clicks it wanted to dive for the ground, not just descend. Maybe it just felt that way because it was going so fast. With the battery pack (both 180 and 240) mounted all the way back as far as possible the CG was just perfect and it flew like it was perfect too... maybe a little nose heavy with the 240.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:19 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Sorry to hear some of you had problems with your Sbachs. I've been lucky so far with all my HH gear.

I'm debating if I want to maiden in the rain. I packed everything up and by the time I got to the driveway, it started to rain.
It's typical Seattle rain, just a constant drizzle so I'm still deciding...
At least there shouldn't be very many people at the park
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
Sorry to hear some of you had problems with your Sbachs. I've been lucky so far with all my HH gear.

I'm debating if I want to maiden in the rain. I packed everything up and by the time I got to the driveway, it started to rain.
It's typical Seattle rain, just a constant drizzle so I'm still deciding...
At least there shouldn't be very many people at the park
I have nothing to base this on but I've been leery of LiPo's, exposed motors and water. Just seems like you're asking for trouble. Bzzzt! But as I say, no experience.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:59 PM
Extreme Flight Minion
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
well after checking all 6 that he got, three were bad and three were good. so the third time is the charm! really poor QC though.....but I'm happy now
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
It's a Great Day to Fly
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Joined Jan 2002
3,865 Posts
Got a call today, the SBach was in. While unpacking all the tape looked like it was untouched, but the prop looked like my Beast prop after my first flight when it contacted the ground while still spinning. Very distinctive chewed prop end that told me someone flew it or at least ran up the prop and let it contact an unmoving surface. I swapped out the prop for a 5043 and was somewhat surprised to see everything fit perfect, no mods. There is a little spacer behind the stock prop that isn't needed with the 5043. I charged the battery, bound the transmitter and dialed in the recommended rates and expo. Now waiting for a calm, dry time to try her out. I'm excited.

Len
LenBFP is offline Find More Posts by LenBFP
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenBFP View Post
Got a call today, the SBach was in. While unpacking all the tape looked like it was untouched, but the prop looked like my Beast prop after my first flight when it contacted the ground while still spinning. Very distinctive chewed prop end that told me someone flew it or at least ran up the prop and let it contact an unmoving surface. I swapped out the prop for a 5043 and was somewhat surprised to see everything fit perfect, no mods. There is a little spacer behind the stock prop that isn't needed with the 5043. I charged the battery, bound the transmitter and dialed in the recommended rates and expo. Now waiting for a calm, dry time to try her out. I'm excited.

Len
What is the stock pitch on the SBach?
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I have nothing to base this on but I've been leery of LiPo's, exposed motors and water. Just seems like you're asking for trouble. Bzzzt! But as I say, no experience.
There was a break in the rain and I was able to get some flights in.
It was really windy so I didn't fly very long for fear of crashing. She is one fast bird and I was surprised how little throttle it took to maintain altitude.
The wind was knocking it around but it had more than enough power to push through it.

I can't wait to get it back out when it's not so windy!
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Jun 29, 2011, 09:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Got in some good flying tonight. Learned a bit more about the plane.

Knife edge is pretty good but I find that it wants to lose altitude when starting to apply elevator when turning. Takes a good bit more throttle to hold than the beast and a lot more rudder. Didn't try the SFG and I imagine that will help quite a bit.

I managed a few decent KEL's too. Again, I think the SFG wll make those even better.

I also noticed that the plane seems to dip during rolls but maybe I need more elevator expo? I don't think it's a CG issue because it flies beautifully inverted...

Harriers are smoother than with the Beast too

But all in all it's a great plane. I'll try the SFG tomorrow. Anyone tried them yet?
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm