SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
I put a 240mAh 3S pack in my Sbach this evening...No cutoffs or anything...So I flew it....What an exhillerating thrill!!!...SUPER fast and fun---All of the way until I smacked it into the asphalt in the street......Scratch a fuselage and wings...I have an order to Wholesale Trains for both...I'm going to rebuild my Sbach with an AS3X brick from a Beast...I really like how the AS3X performs in my Beast...I may have to experiment as to which program/model to run but that's part of the fun, isn't it???!!!???...

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
I put a 240mAh 3S pack in my Sbach this evening...No cutoffs or anything...So I flew it....What an exhillerating thrill!!!...SUPER fast and fun---All of the way until I smacked it into the asphalt in the street......Scratch a fuselage and wings...I have an order to Wholesale Trains for both...I'm going to rebuild my Sbach with an AS3X brick from a Beast...I really like how the AS3X performs in my Beast...I may have to experiment as to which program/model to run but that's part of the fun, isn't it???!!!???...

Kevin
I don't think you can use a Beast brick to convert to AS3x because of the integrated servos. I believe you need to use the GEEBEE brick instead, but I'm doing some research into this myself.

I think we'll see the SBACK come back with as3x. I just don't see horizon ditching the production line for it when all they need to do is upgrade the electronics to have an awesome 3D capable monster!

Tom
d2tw4all is online now Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
I don't think you can use a Beast brick to convert to AS3x because of the integrated servos. I believe you need to use the GEEBEE brick instead, but I'm doing some research into this myself.

I think we'll see the SBACK come back with as3x. I just don't see horizon ditching the production line for it when all they need to do is upgrade the electronics to have an awesome 3D capable monster!

Tom
You can use a Beast brick. Several of us have done it. You just have to make new pushrods to fit. Having 2 servos on the brick is an advantage. You have to buy 2 fewer BB servos to do the conversion.

The only previously existing model HH will ever put AS3X on is the Beast. This was for AS3X's introduction because the Beast had such a following. They will not be putting AS3X on the Sbach. Too bad... it's great!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
People have used the Beast 3D brick to convert the Sbach to AS3X, it does need homemade connectors made for the Rudder and Elevator because they are as you say on the brick.

There are posts on this thread about how to fabricate these rods easily
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:45 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
The only previously existing model HH will ever put AS3X on is the Beast. This was for AS3X's introduction because the Beast had such a following. They will not be putting AS3X on the Sbach. Too bad... it's great!
it seems that you write quicker than me

Such a shame that HH have said they will not "upgrade" any present models to AS3X.
Why not? The Sbach has a fantastic following (like the Beast) and as said, the moulds are all done. I'm sorry but HH should bow to popular demand and do a U turn here, if only so we can have a new plane cheaper!

Come on HH, with all the bad press you've had lately, get a load of us back on board with a model we want

Tony
SilentPilot is online now Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Sep 10, 2012, 05:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:

Tom
The Beast/GeeBee Brick fits pretty easily:

The Rudder Pushrod is reused. The elevator needs a new, longer .030" CF rod.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
it seems that you write quicker than me

Such a shame that HH have said they will not "upgrade" any present models to AS3X.
Why not? The Sbach has a fantastic following (like the Beast) and as said, the moulds are all done. I'm sorry but HH should bow to popular demand and do a U turn here, if only so we can have a new plane cheaper!

Come on HH, with all the bad press you've had lately, get a load of us back on board with a model we want

Tony
+100 the Sbach was and is a great micro! Still flying, 27 hours longed in the air, stock with 5030 prop and hyperions.
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
With my AS3X Sbach I'm going to use "conventional" 2 gram Tamiya servos for the ailerons...I can buy 3 of these for the price of one HH linear servo...I will cut some reliefs in the wings to somewhat conceal them as they are very thin...

I'm going to use the Sbach brick and the 4 HH stock servos in my modified Champ on floats with ailerons and maybe even go with flaps...I've flown my Champ on floats on 1S and it performs "OK" when the battery is fresh...But after a couple of minutes of flying I can't do touch and goes from the water...Need more power!!!...I'm thinking about installing a Turnigy 2900kv motor into my Beast AS3X 3D and take the motor from the Beast and install it in the Champ...Power upgrades for everyone!!!

Back to the Sbach...Shame I'm hearing about its discontinuance!!!...I'm flying mine (well---WAS before the crash yesterday!!!) with a 5043 prop and it really streaks across the sky on this prop...When I install the AS3X brick I'm thinking about installing the 5030 prop as I would like to try 3D with the UMX Sbach...I can actually hover a short time and do a couple of torque rolls with my Beast 3D...And I have never flown 3D before other than some Harriers!!!...Looking forward to the improved Sbach...

Kevin
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene View Post
With my AS3X Sbach I'm going to use "conventional" 2 gram Tamiya servos for the ailerons...I can buy 3 of these for the price of one HH linear servo...I will cut some reliefs in the wings to somewhat conceal them as they are very thin...
There is talk that these servos won't hold up to AS3X duty. Servos in AS3X planes are very active all the time. HH had to put ball bearings in their servos to get enough duty out of them. If you do this I'm sure we'd all be curious to know how they hold up. Keep us posted!
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
There is talk that these servos won't hold up to AS3X duty. Servos in AS3X planes are very active all the time. HH had to put ball bearings in their servos to get enough duty out of them. If you do this I'm sure we'd all be curious to know how they hold up. Keep us posted!
I will keep all up to speed!!!...It's not only ball bearings that HH installed but larger motors as well...I've heard in other posts that some are using "conventional" servos and having success...Linear servos with exposed wipers and jackscrew mechanics are very light but not the best in terms of longevity/quality...Just look at all of the threads for defective servos...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
Quote:
I already posted the loophole: There is no Sbach plane anymore. Xtremeair, the makers of it, renamed it to the XA42. Therefore HH can now release a "new" AS3-X42 !!!

I agree with what has been said that it just wouldn't make sense to discontinue it. after all they still have the venerable um t-28 in production after years. I think that HH is going to re-release it as AS3X, probably with new livery.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Last edited by kalmon; Sep 10, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,480 Posts
Quote:

Tom
Tom,

FYI - the Beast 3D, Gee Bee, and Carbon Cub use the same brick w/integrated tail servos. The three planes also share AS3X programming. The ideal solution for an AS3X Sbach is to use the drop-in AS6410NBL servoless brick. However, the Beast 3D/Gee Bee/CC brick also works well - as others have reported.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:40 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,757 Posts
AS3X programming results

I posted this over on the Mig forum as well but wanted to add it here:

I captured the data sent to the brick during programming and here it is.

3D Aerobatic
All directions normal - Horizontal:
Write:
AA 02 00 14 12 14 09 09 09 01

AA 02 00 14 02 14 09 09 09 F1 Roll only reversed
AA 02 00 00 12 14 09 09 09 ED Pitch only reversed
AA 02 00 14 12 00 09 09 09 ED Yaw only reversed

Beast 3D:
AA 02 00 14 13 14 09 09 09 02

MIG-15:
AA 02 00 14 10 10 09 09 09 FB

High Speed:
AA 02 00 10 10 10 07 07 07 F1

Sport Scale
AA 02 00 14 14 14 09 09 09 03

There is so little data being sent for the large config files. What this means is that most of the decoding of those config files happens in the program and then only the raw info is sent to the brick. It should be very easy to find at a bit level what the codes mean and flash the brick with custom values for the gains. I'll keep working on it as time allows.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:56 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
United States, OH, Chillicothe
Joined Jul 2012
357 Posts
So is the gyro worth it? My question is, doesnt the gyro use more battery? What would be cool with the gyro is a UMX Eurofighter Typhoon Twin Df, with perhaps a umx battery of 400mah 3s.
Birds of Prey is offline Find More Posts by Birds of Prey
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Mar 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds of Prey View Post
So is the gyro worth it? My question is, doesnt the gyro use more battery? What would be cool with the gyro is a UMX Eurofighter Typhoon Twin Df, with perhaps a umx battery of 400mah 3s.
It's not the gyro so much that's using up the power but the servos having to constantly work...I have both the Beast V1 and V2 3D...I like the flying of the 3D Beast but I like the power system of the V1 better...Many are using the power system of the V1 in the 3D Beast for a perfect marraige of power and flying...

Kevin