HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:46 AM
Canberra, ACT, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Exactly like the one i flew, it was near on perfect in every area and flew really well straight out of the box

on a bad note, i ordered mine at last and now have to wait 2 weeks for the next shipment as they sold out DOHHHHHH! hahaha oh well lucky i have a PZ RAF SE-5a to play with (Vids are up )

cheers chuck
Sorry to hear that they were out of stock by the time you were able to get one.

It is interesting the variation between aircraft though, there are many on here who are reporting having to have the battery as far back as possible and still being a little nose heavy.
doil is offline Find More Posts by doil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:02 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kola View Post
Anyone selling somthing like this?
Nobody make adapters like mine (I always torture myself and use 22awg wire to reduce wiring resistance). But somebody just a few post above said Glenn from RC-connectors.com is now making some (for 3 batteries I think). I've heard only good things about his connectors/adapters.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Jul 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Nobody make adapters like mine (I always torture myself and use 22awg wire to reduce wiring resistance). But somebody just a few post above said Glenn from RC-connectors.com is now making some (for 3 batteries I think). I've heard only good things about his connectors/adapters.
RG - Are you selling adapters as well or just making for yourself?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:39 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner2000 View Post
RG - Are you selling adapters as well or just making for yourself?
Sorry, not selling! I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do as it is. Heck, just keeping over 20 airplanes airworthy all the time is almost a full time job (with the way I fly them!) Trust me, I make my own battery packs, and I find that RCBabbels packs are really not expensive after all as I can appreciate the work. Same with Glenn who's making all kind of adapters. If I had more time, I would be tempted, but for now, I'm just happy I can find the time to make my own. Parts are cheap, buy putting them together in a reliable way take a too much time which I don't have. I think that if I would pay myself only $10 an hour to make them, my adapters would still be too expensive to sell!

P.S.: I'm a nerd. I crimp my wire then solder it too (take much longer). Still not trusting crimp only, even if someone said Nasa is crimping their wires... Knowing that, I would not go to the moon either anymore!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:44 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Here are the speed run tests part two, this time I flew closer to the camera .
Cheese:
Still no luck with RCSpeedo, WaveOscope and Hyperdine. I can isolate the part of video I want to investigate, I can even make a wav out of it, but the end result is almost noise. Probably the codecs your camera is using... It does make some pretty funky graph for sure!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:06 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,383 Posts
Quote:
Cheese:
Still no luck with RCSpeedo, WaveOscope and Hyperdine. I can isolate the part of video I want to investigate, I can even make a wav out of it, but the end result is almost noise. Probably the codecs your camera is using... It does make some pretty funky graph for sure!
Hmm that's weird, how did you read the first video I made? I used a windows 7 computer to do the editing on the 2nd take on the videos, the first take I was using a vista computer to edit it. I flew with the same friend at the same place, around the same time. Does your converter work on the video I put on youtube?

That's a weird looking graph!
Cheese5 is offline Find More Posts by Cheese5
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:16 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,108 Posts
Quote:
That would be me. Glenn will make up custom stuff for a very reasonable price. Just ask him. He made my 6S to 3 2S charging harness for a little less than the cost of the parts! Not say he'll do that for you, though... I'm "special".
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:20 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese5 View Post
Hmm that's weird, how did you read the first video I made? I used a windows 7 computer to do the editing on the 2nd take on the videos, the first take I was using a vista computer to edit it. I flew with the same friend at the same place, around the same time. Does your converter work on the video I put on youtube?

That's a weird looking graph!
This time, I used the last MP4 videos you sent me. Most of my editing/conversion software are somewhat working on them, as I can cut them, extract audio, etc. Yet, when I run my 3 different doppler software, they all come out empty, or with unreal results. I still suspect it's the camera you use, but again, I'm probably the only fool who's trying to get a doppler from such a small brushless motor, so maybe it's simply pushing it.

Winds are in the 40mph range right now, but as soon as I can, I'll try a few more video from my side to see if it can be done reliably. I'll use the keychain, and my Canon camera (which can make video up to 1080P).
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:37 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,018 Posts
You can get a decent radar gun for around 80 bucks from amazon. I bought one but havent had the chance to use it yet.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Jul 2006
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK Count View Post
Something concerning dynamic prop balance at the SBach:

Remove the cowling, hold the plane with one hand and move the throttle stick to full power-put one finger on the motor frame top-you feel the vibration--add thin tape on one blade > trial & Error method > and check the vibration again....more or less vibs ?...try more tape or change the blade side. Don't miss the blades where you had taped before and removed > one blade side has "GWS" marked, the other side "dimensions"

Good luck...and none vibrations in the future
I do that and the most noise is gone. A little but not much louder than the Beast now.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Last edited by microheli; Jul 21, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
You can get a decent radar gun for around 80 bucks from amazon. I bought one but havent had the chance to use it yet.
You'll have to come back with a report soon. I've heard they do work with the ultra-micro airplanes, but sure enough, it will be interesting to hear how easy (or not) it is to get the speed with it. On the other side, software is free, and everybody has a camera. Heck, I'm using a $10 keychain camera myself!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:39 PM
Beast 60E Maniac
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Feb 2010
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microheli View Post
I do that and the most noise is gone. A little but not much louder than the Beast now.
Yes, the benefit is great, isn't it
SLK Count is offline Find More Posts by SLK Count
Old Jul 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,062 Posts
I ended up buying a couple of ThundePower G6 25C 2s 250mAh packs whilst in my LHS. I didn't realize that the Sbach connects to the the stock lipo via a 3 pin balance connector. So now I need to change the balance connectors on my ThunderPower lipos. Where can I get the connectors from?

Or maybe I should just use Micro Deans but then I won't be able to use the stock battery. I heard it's really poor but I've not been able to fly the plane yet, due to bad weather and family commitments.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:01 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,383 Posts
Quote:
This time, I used the last MP4 videos you sent me. Most of my editing/conversion software are somewhat working on them, as I can cut them, extract audio, etc. Yet, when I run my 3 different doppler software, they all come out empty, or with unreal results. I still suspect it's the camera you use, but again, I'm probably the only fool who's trying to get a doppler from such a small brushless motor, so maybe it's simply pushing it.

Winds are in the 40mph range right now, but as soon as I can, I'll try a few more video from my side to see if it can be done reliably. I'll use the keychain, and my Canon camera (which can make video up to 1080P).
Oh well......that's weird. Maybe the motor is not loud enough. But I remember seeing a video of turboparker's sukhoi xp flying high speed passes and someone (was it you?) dopplered it to be around 42mph. Maybe someone can get the speed of the Sbach, a ballpark measure would work well . I'll try some other software and see if they can get a measurement.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:03 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jul 2010
4,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahbouni View Post
I ended up buying a couple of ThundePower G6 25C 2s 250mAh packs whilst in my LHS. I didn't realize that the Sbach connects to the the stock lipo via a 3 pin balance connector. So now I need to change the balance connectors on my ThunderPower lipos. Where can I get the connectors from?

Or maybe I should just use Micro Deans but then I won't be able to use the stock battery. I heard it's really poor but I've not been able to fly the plane yet, due to bad weather and family commitments.
You could convert all your batteries to one connector of the other. I don't get how the thunderpower JST connector batteries work. They don't have a balance connector, so how do they balance the 2 cells?