Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 10, 2011, 07:07 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokgeok View Post
PS. Spouny what happened with the wing? did you manage to fly it yet ?
I have received my missing wing, but with a servo which needs to be replaced
I got replacement servos last week, but no time to do the work, during next week I hope flying it because except the servos replacement, the plane is ready.
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 02:55 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
I just read a quickie review on the HK web site about this plane and the reviewer stated that it would hover at 1/2 throttle. I wonder if it's the same plane as the BlitzRC Works?
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
I just read a quickie review on the HK web site about this plane and the reviewer stated that it would hover at 1/2 throttle. I wonder if it's the same plane as the BlitzRC Works?
It's the same plane, but I don't know if it is the same motorization set (there is many versions).

I have made my 2 first flights today, it was a windy day so I have to fly it in better condition to really know what this plane can do or not.
My first impression joins Roswalt opinion, this plane flies very well, it is OK for acrobatics, but I doubt that it is a 3D plane...
Concerning my motorisation set (the stock 45A ESC / stock B3648 Motor / stock 3 blade prop), impossible to hover at half throttle maybee enought thrust to hover at 3/4 throttle, but the power reserve from 3/4 to full throttle is not important enough to hover without risk (for my skill level).
Next time I will try the APC 14x7 prop as there is an extra thrust with it, but it is not what what will transform the plane into a 3D monster
Last edited by Spouny; Jun 16, 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Hi guys!

The first thing I have to say is that I want to buy this plane, hopping that it is a good choice for 3d flying, must of all, I want to hover it and learn how to do all related to hover stuff.

The problem I see is that some of you are posting some not that good comments about this plane here and Im loosing my expectations on this plane.
It looks like a dream to have a less than $200.00 3D capable plane that if I crash theres a lot of chances to glue it and fly again in minutes or hours.

I was wondering, why theres no good convincing videos of this plane in you tube? It is not fair to say that it is because it is a bad plane not capable to do some good 3D, at least a sustained torqueroll. Not to show off about my skills but I did the first exi 450 3D video on you tube, showing that this cheap heli with a $14.00 gyro was capable to do a lot more than an inverted hover. Before that, for most people this heli was a beginners piece of crap.
It would be nice and usefull to see some videos of you guys showing your skills on 3D planes, just to see the backgrounds of the people are judging it.

Any link???

I want to buy this baby!
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
It's the same plane, but I don't know if it is the same motorization set (there is many versions).

I have made my 2 first flights today, it was a windy day so I have to fly it in better condition to really know what this plane can do or not.
My first impression joins Roswalt opinion, this plane flies very well, it is OK for acrobatics, but I doubt that it is a 3D plane...
Concerning my motorisation set (the stock 45A ESC / stock B3648 Motor / stock 3 blade prop), impossible to hover at half throttle maybee enought thrust to hover at 3/4 throttle, but the power reserve from 3/4 to full throttle is not important enough to hover without risk (for my skill level).
Next time I will try the APC 14x7 prop as there is an extra thrust with it, but it is not what what will transform the plane into a 3D monster
LOL I dont have any 3d planes that hover at half throttle. Not even the 3dhs ones. Maybe everyone is expecting too much from this plane. Its a big foam cheap plane. I would not expect it to be in a class with balsa planes. If it doesnt hover enough you can always purchase a turnigy motor for like $12. I like foam planes because they take more damage and i gorrilla glue them back together easy but balsa will always fly better. My balsa planes are all being retired for a foam fleet now because they just take to much time and money. I have this same plane as a 72in balsa same color and everything. It hovers at 3/4 throttle maybe more.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Jun 16, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Without speaking about the pilot skill level, as you underline it, it's important, but my first observation is that the stock motorization set is not powerfull enough for hovering in good conditions.
With more power, by replacing ESC and motor, the plane is maybe 3D capable, but I cannot say it without having tested it.
If you have to replace ESC and motor, you cannot speak any more about a less than $200 plane... and without forgetting that on mine I had also to replace 2 servos because those delivered with the plane are poor quality servos.
In all honesty, I chose this plane for the same reasons as you (price, easy repair, hope to make 3D wih it) but in performance it is not at the level of some other planes which fly in my club, certainly they are a little more expensive, but the problem is that upgrading the MX2 we arrive at the price of these planes, and it is still not at their level.
In my opinion, this plane is good choice if you want an easy repair foamy acrobatic plane and if you fly it without upgrade, but it's not the best choice if you plan to "upgrade it to improve it"

edit : @ bigwood212 : You are right, that depends on the importance that you grant to the fact that it is easily repairable, personally I made an error with this plane because I hoped that it approaches balsa planes performances, what is not the case.
I have 2 other acrobatics planes, they are cheap hobbyking models, on the first one the motor is the one sold with the plane, on the 2nd it is an upgrade, but with both of them I can hover at half throttle... , a big power reserve is very reassuring in 3D learning phase and when we still make errors
Last edited by Spouny; Jun 16, 2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:23 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
really? What planes from hobbyking hover at half throttle? I haven't seen many that are full fuse foam. You can upgrade power but tradeoff is weight. You shouldn't have to upgrade the esc just the motor. A motor and and if you want servos from hobbyking are cheap. The eflite carbonz yak doesn't hover at half throttle and I paid $400 for it. I've found that more power is useually harder to control. I'm ordering this plane and I will try it out then maybe try different setups like 5cell.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:27 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
I wonder if they sell it as a kit.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Thanks for your comment Spouny! But guess what? I bought it!!! Just couldnt wait anymore... Im in with this plane now and have to go on to make it work. After your sad news I have good news for me... I have a castle ice 100a available or an align 70a esc (from a trex 500 I have for spares) so I think I have more than the half of the upgrade cost covered.
Im completely lost about motor performance on planes, so I will apreciate if you guys help me on what propeller to use looking for hover with the stock motor(mine is Banana hobbys version) that I will try first. Also a good motor option to consider. Something like a turnigy by that I mean something cheap.

Help!!!!

Hope I can pay back with a good video of this thing... but first have to learn to fly (I mean 3D it)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
2 new flights today, no wind and I confirm what I said after yesterday's flights, there is not enough power/thrust for 3D with my stock MX2 (european version), lipos are brand new nano-tech 3300 4S...
Maybe that the versions from bananahobby or hobbyking are more powerful
Now you think/beleive what you want, but in my case, I had to be full throttle for hovering, what means that, if as me, you still make errors because you are learning 3D, it is better to try that high in the sky, because near the ground there is no power reserve to take up the plane if needed

Furthermore I have doubts on the main wings solidity, after a fast descent I have used a little bit hardly the elevator, the wings are not rather stiff because it bend, I do not know if there is a risk which they break, but it is not reassuring at all...

@ bigwood212 :
1) This insignificant thing, with a 1000mAh 3S lipo is hovering at half throttle (stock motor)
OK this plane is far too much flexible to be used as it is sold, but there is nothing to upgrade except carbon strips to stiffen it, and with this plane I can easily hover all flight long if I want, probably because it is slow and tail heavy

2) This Extra 260 upgraded with this $15 motor and an APC 11x5.5 prop can hover at half throttle too. The power, and 3D possibilities of this configuration are very far from what offers the MX2 stock version, it is incomparable...
With this configuration, my skill level allows me only 10 to 30 seconds hovering time, but when I lose control I just have to put full throttle to take height and catch up the situation, without risk
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
r...... The eflite carbonz yak doesn't hover at half throttle and I paid $400 for it. .....
My Carbon-Z hovers at just about 1/2 throttle, but I'm using a 13x4 prop, so maybe that's why. I'm thinking that if the MX had the same setup, it would probably hover OK too. So maybe if I wreck my Carbon-Z, maybe I'll give that power setup a try in the MX.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Hey bigwood, is the 55" mx2 wing that you are talking about? You mean that cheap motor on the giant version with a 1000mah 3s lipo? Or am I confused?
If it is, please, what propeller?
Please Help, I think I screw it buying it
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Hey bigwood, is the 55" mx2 wing that you are talking about? You mean that cheap motor on the giant version with a 1000mah 3s lipo? Or am I confused?
If it is, please, what propeller?
Please Help, I think I screw it buying it
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:12 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
We got different setups here. From the looks the hobbyking setup is better.

Hobbyking recomends a 2200mah lipo and lists the flying weight as 4.18 pounds.
Motor: 36-48 Brushless Outrunner
Servo: 2 x 9g, 2 x 17g

Banana hobby says 3200mah and 4.6 pounds
Motor: 42-50 Brushless Outrunner 700KV Motor
Servo: 4X 9g high speed micro servos

The hobbyking version is setup to be lighter with a higher kv motor and larger servos for the elevator and rudder. The banana hobby has a larger lower kv motor.
Last edited by bigwood212; Jun 17, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
The hobbyking setup is the same as mine (except the ESC), bought in Europe

Before buying my MX2 in France, I have called another European shop that was listed the plane for €30 less expensive (but not available) to know when it will be back in stock. The shop seller answer was : "Several months because the manufacturer has made some modifications on the plane equipment (motorization set and servos), we are delivered by boat thus we shall have no stock before several months.
This is all the information that I have on these differents versions, I don't know if banana hobby's version is the first manufaturer version or if it is a special version upgraded by this shop and sold by them only.

For sure, as I'm flying my MX2 with 3300 mAh 4S lipos, it is possible to save about 100gr on the "ready to flight weight" by using 2200 mAh 4S lipos, maybee a good thing but probably not enough to transform the plane.
As bigwood212 said, I think that a 5S configuration is maybee the least expensive and the simplest solution for those who did not plan to use lipos 4S already in their ownership...
Last edited by Spouny; Jun 17, 2011 at 06:52 PM.