Hmmm.... not one good review there.....
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2011, 01:28 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
... but not knowing the weight of the stock motor it's hard to tell....
It's here.... message #45
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old May 22, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
CML Distribution - Top Gun Park Flite MX 2 Flying Video (1 min 24 sec)
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old May 23, 2011, 09:53 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
Hmmm.... not one good review there.....
As it got listed last friday 13th, maybe in a couple of weeks we can find reviews from that HK plane..
Abib is offline Find More Posts by Abib
Old May 26, 2011, 07:18 AM
fly away,fast
Joined Jul 2009
228 Posts
so over all guys if u had to go thru it again wuld buy this plane?
f22 parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by f22 parkflyer
Old May 26, 2011, 11:56 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
118 Posts
Sorry to say: NO!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22 parkflyer View Post
so over all guys if u had to go thru it again wuld buy this plane?
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old May 26, 2011, 12:56 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Probably not - It's a better plane than the folks on here might lead you to believe, but it isn't a "keeper" in my opinion.

To be fair, only two planes I've ever come across have been designated "keepers" so my standards may be different than most. For everything it offers and the way it performs you could certainly do worse, but you could also do better. Just my 2 cents!
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old May 26, 2011, 02:18 PM
fly away,fast
Joined Jul 2009
228 Posts
thanks guys
f22 parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by f22 parkflyer
Old May 27, 2011, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Probably not....but I wouldn't say that buying one is a bad decision.....it just wasn't the best one for me in the end.

I wanted a model to make a transition from warbirds to aerobatic. Several fellow flying buddies had the ST Models MX2 and I was looking for something similar but different. I guess I was looking for the wrong thing, because I got what I looked for....really I guess I wanted the same.

Still, I've got it now and after a few tweaks and "adjustments" (read, repairs ), she is much nicer. Taping up the ailerons helped a lot (and that is recommended for any model). I still haven't got the down thrust right, but its just fine tuning now.

My big gripe is spares; no one in the UK is stocking them at the moment and I am really fed up of looking at my bent and battered cowl and my tail wheel that is more epoxy that tail wheel. They are cosmetic things I know....but come on.....you should be able to get spares somewhere!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 01:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Update

Let me give you a little update from my MX2.
I try the 15x6 prop and I find it compare to the 14x7 a little slower but with very good strength.
The thing I like the most using this prop is that it adds a few grams in the nose so with the extra 50gr I use in the cowl made this plane land almost automatically.
I just level the plane with the ailerons and decrease the throttle and that's it! the plane lands by it self

PS. Spouny what happened with the wing? did you manage to fly it yet ?
geokgeok is offline Find More Posts by geokgeok
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokgeok View Post
I just level the plane with the ailerons and decrease the throttle and that's it! the plane lands by it self

PS. Spouny what happened with the wing? did you manage to fly it yet ?
That's what I am looking for, but so far haven't achieved. I think after my first crash, I may have upset the "balance" of things a little. Firstly, I can never be sure that the firewall is epoxied back in at the same angle. Secondly, I have fitted a Hacker 30 motor and the weight and size are not identical.

That means that my CoG / thrust lines aren't pre-set anymore. I've got a plane that pushes nose down under power and then pops up with the throttle cut; a symptom of having to put a bit of back stick trim in to get her to fly level under power. As a result, the nose pops up on final approach; it's quite disconcerting to have to hold her nose down to get her to glide!

The answer is more up thrust, but as I am still waiting for a 14 x 7 prop to arrive, I'm holding off on any changes until that is fitted. In the meantime, I have just been suprised at how far above the vertical CoG the prop / motor is actually mounted!
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:48 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
I've got a plane that pushes nose down under power and then pops up with the throttle cut
I'm not much of a plane expert but it sounds like you have a tail heavy plane with the motor mount point downwards!
So when you hit the throttle the plane goes down and when you cut the throttle the tail falls back...
If I was you I would try to change the motor angle just a little bit pointing up.
Let us know if you change anything.
Good luck
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:20 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Yes, you are right, it needs more up thrust!

Its balanced about right; the reason it pops up isn't because it is tail heavy, it is because it is trimmed to counter the excessive down thrust a bit.....so when the power is off, the elevator trim pops her up.

I'm fairly confident I know what needs doing. I'm waiting for some larger props and then I'll take her out and trim her for a gliding....and then adjust the thrust accordingly.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2009
9 Posts
Mine came yesterday from HobbyKing.. Pretty easy to build it up.. 30 minutes and done.

Hope this weekend everything works out..

Abib is offline Find More Posts by Abib
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abib View Post
Mine came yesterday from HobbyKing.. Pretty easy to build it up.. 30 minutes and done.

Hope this weekend everything works out..
Great! let us know your setup (weight added if needed, TX,RX, prop if other than the 3 blade) and how the maiden was.

...also videos are welcome