HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:34 AM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
I don't know anything about fuel burners Joe and never intend to.

3D is my passion for now and its all electric baby!!
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Joe,
Gotcha on the 3D, but anyone that is doing IMAC is head and shoulders above me. I'm still working out the basic , SMOOTH, maneuvers. Heck, I have trouble keeping the nose up in a series of rolls! Oh well, it is fun and I'll never want to compete. Just want to be competent and bring home the same number of planes I left with!

BTW - the latch I installed says to use foam safe CA, that is good because this is a foam plane! BUT, however, I did the latch 16 HOURS ago and the darned CA is still tacky. I don't like to use kicker with foam CA because of the heat issues, it seems to turn white also, but it makes the top harden and doesn't allow the "inside" CA to harden. IMO. Why so slow to cure?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,109 Posts
Don it may be silicon release agent .you should clean any thing you glue on this plane with isopropal alcohol. The stuff travels and gets every were, and can play havoc on glue joints and paint operations.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
FYI ...you can use regular CA on EPO foam. It won't hurt it. I've used kicker on every foam plane I've built or repaired and it hasn't hurt them. If your brand of kicker is causing problems, change brands.

I've been told that there is a Gorilla glue that is much better for foam than CA. I can't remember the exact type and I haven't used it yet but, will give it a try next time I need to glue something foam.

Also, it's important to sand the finish (paint, etc.) off the surface(s) to be glued. Otherwise the glue will adhere to the finish and not the foam.

RJ
rowdyjoe is offline Find More Posts by rowdyjoe
Old Feb 13, 2012, 02:54 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigroger View Post
I don't know anything about fuel burners Joe and never intend to.

3D is my passion for now and its all electric baby!!
Yep, I said the same thing until I flew a glow trainer last summer and got hooked. The power difference is amazing. However, the new, larger electric motors today are making up the difference. I've seen electrics equivalent to a 1.60 size glow engine and they truly perform like it.
Cost savings is narrowing though as those motors are more expensive and the larger batteries needed to attain that electric power are heavy and expensive.
I'm equipping my newest birds with gas due to the cost of glow fuel and the increase in torque and power to weight. They sound great too.

I'll admit that electric is cleaner and less fuss but, the size of the plane is limited by the size of the electric motor. I haven't seen a motor yet that will power a 100cc sized (or larger) giant scale aerobat.

I haven't abandoned electrics though as I've bought the MX2 and still have few EDFs on the wall. However, I find that when our Texas winds are blowing 15 to 20mph my 55cc bird will fly when the electrics are grounded. 10mph seems to be the limit for the smaller electric birds and I expect the MX2 to do fairly well in 15mph winds. I've found that when the weight of the plane reaches 5 lbs or more they seem to penetrate better. Wing design plays a role too.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 13, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:11 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
dkrhardy,
"Gotcha on the 3D, but anyone that is doing IMAC is head and shoulders above me. I'm still working out the basic , SMOOTH, maneuvers. Heck, I have trouble keeping the nose up in a series of rolls! Oh well, it is fun and I'll never want to compete. Just want to be competent and bring home the same number of planes I left with!"

I'm not that much further along than you. I'm still having trouble with my rolls.
Practicing the IMAC maneuvers has made me a better pilot already and I've only been to one contest. When I go flying I always make it a point to practice the required routine two or three times. It helps me learn the sequence but, it also requires wings level entry and smooth actions on the sticks ...which is not as easy for me as it sounds.
It also requires a well set-up airplane. The maneuvers in the Basic class are very simple (comparatively) ...half cuban 8, loop, roll, stall turn, immelman, humpty bump, sharks tooth, etc. No inverted required in this category ...which I love to do and find it easy if my bird is tuned properly. They are fun to fly whether you compete or not.

Here's a link to the web site ...http://www.mini-iac.com/Training/tabid/121/Default.aspx . .... scroll down a little and you'll find the first video labeled "Basic". That's the routine I fly. Simple but, challenging to do correctly.

RJ
Old Feb 13, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc993 View Post
Don it may be silicon release agent .you should clean any thing you glue on this plane with isopropal alcohol. The stuff travels and gets every were, and can play havoc on glue joints and paint operations.
Doc, and Joe - it seems even water takes the paint off of these planes, but I did use alcohol on the very edges to be glued. The latch instructions said NOT to use regular CA, only foam safe, so I presume there is an issue with the type of plastic it is made from. It is curing but very slowly.

Half Cuban 8, loop, roll, and stall turns are about all I do. I like the reverse Cuban also. I do inverted, but just do straight or a slow turning pattern. OK Joe, one of my planes flies very nice but inverted takes a TON on down elevator to fly level. That means it should be nose heavy, but it is trimmed rather neutral for regular flight and does not seem nose heavy. It does need a fair amount of power on final though, gotta fly it almost to touchdown. Nose heavy?

Don't know how your weather was today but here it was 5-10 MPH wind, closer to 10 MPH, sunny, and cool (55), but a nice day for flying. Did 4 batteries through the Switch Sport and 1 battery through the balsa S Sportster. My friend maidened his Dynam 1250mm Sbach, all safe.
Don
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:51 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
Don,
Ok on the safe flights today. Any time you can bring them home in one piece is a good day of flying.

About the forward stick required when inverted ....trim your plane for straight and level hands off. Then, at full power, put your plane in a vertical climb right in front of where you're standing and then let go of the sticks when you've reached a safe altitude. If it deviates in any direction from straight up (with sufficient airspeed) you need to correct your motor angle. Any plane will usually fall one way or another at stall so, make sure your speed is up. Obviously, if it pulls toward the gear, you need "up" adjustment; toward the canopy, down adjustment; to the left, right adjustment; to the right, left adjustment.
I suspect that may be your problem. If your trim is neutral and requires that much fwd stick, you probably need some "down" on your motor. I normally use washers to shim the motor/engine but, have seen other folks use wood, etc.
I have a Seagull Yak 54 (90 size) with a 20cc gas engine mounted and it pulls hard to the left so, I'll add washers to the left side mounting posts to offset that problem. I'll test fly it to see if I need more washers, etc. So, for me ...not being very scientific ...it's a trial and error thing. Adjust, fly to see affect, adjust more if necessary.
I also have a Seagull Spacewalker II 120 with a 26cc gas engine that pulls toward the gear. I've added washers to the bottom 2 mounting studs to bring the nose of the engine up.

Believe me, you'll enjoy flying any bird much more when it's rigged properly.

Oh, the weather here is rainy and chilly. Winds seem to be OK but, I don't enjoy flying in 38 degree humid weather. Too cold and damp for this old man.

I wonder if anyone has tried spraying a clear coat over the factory finish to protect it? It will add a little weight but, it may be worth it.

Good luck,
RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:35 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Yep, I said the same thing until I flew a glow trainer last summer and got hooked. The power difference is amazing. However, the new, larger electric motors today are making up the difference. I've seen electrics equivalent to a 1.60 size glow engine and they truly perform like it.
Cost savings is narrowing though as those motors are more expensive and the larger batteries needed to attain that electric power are heavy and expensive.
I'm equipping my newest birds with gas due to the cost of glow fuel and the increase in torque and power to weight. They sound great too.

I'll admit that electric is cleaner and less fuss but, the size of the plane is limited by the size of the electric motor. I haven't seen a motor yet that will power a 100cc sized (or larger) giant scale aerobat.

I haven't abandoned electrics though as I've bought the MX2 and still have few EDFs on the wall. However, I find that when our Texas winds are blowing 15 to 20mph my 55cc bird will fly when the electrics are grounded. 10mph seems to be the limit for the smaller electric birds and I expect the MX2 to do fairly well in 15mph winds. I've found that when the weight of the plane reaches 5 lbs or more they seem to penetrate better. Wing design plays a role too.

RJ
Lots of brushless options that are going on the cheap side of things

and they do have upto 150cc size brushless motors
150cc Sbach on 10s!
Pilot RC Sbach 342 150cc Electric Conversion Hacker A150 DesirePower (4 min 29 sec)
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
Thanks Joe, I WILL look into that!
Don
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:30 PM
Arlington, TX
Joined Jul 2009
1,245 Posts
Great googly moogly !!!! You didn't make me eat those words, you shoved them down my throat. Where'd you get the motor for that giant? Did you steal it from your wife's washing machine? Does "10s" mean 10 car batteries?

Seriously, that's GREAT. Please tell me/us all about it. Who made the airframe? Which motor are you using and who makes it? How long have you been flying it? What does it weigh? Is the airframe a "special" model to suit electrics (ie. has it been lightened)?

You fly it beautifully and thanks for including the video. I'm very impressed.

RJ
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,996 Posts
LOL I thought the same thing .... washing machine motor!
Don
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe View Post
Great googly moogly !!!! You didn't make me eat those words, you shoved them down my throat. Where'd you get the motor for that giant? Did you steal it from your wife's washing machine? Does "10s" mean 10 car batteries?

Seriously, that's GREAT. Please tell me/us all about it. Who made the airframe? Which motor are you using and who makes it? How long have you been flying it? What does it weigh? Is the airframe a "special" model to suit electrics (ie. has it been lightened)?

You fly it beautifully and thanks for including the video. I'm very impressed.

RJ
OH MAN!
thank you but it aint mine..
I saw this a few days ago and about filled my pants!
the biggest surprise to me is this guy flies on 10s, I thought it would take 15 or 16s to get this big bird in the air..
I hope to build a 50cc size Sbach on 10s this summer, and then a 80cc brushless Warbird soon after!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Just flitting about!!
Joined Aug 2011
2,637 Posts
What about this bad boy?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FGlow%5F.html

Don't know if that will lift that big plane but they say 9-10s setup and suitable as 160glow replacement..
bigroger is offline Find More Posts by bigroger
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
nick779 is offline Find More Posts by nick779