HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:51 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy.123 View Post
One more thing, I am going to replace the stock servos with new ones. Any suggestions? I saw some suggestions on another page from hobby king but they are back ordered and I want to fly sooner.
Look at the servos I posted above, they are stronger and much faster then stock servos. Only problem is they are a tiny tiny bit longer than cutouts so you need to slightly lengthen it.
Edit: sorry only just read that you want non backordered items, I think there was a corona servo at HK suggested, try that maybe?
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2012, 03:01 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Thanks Sammy. That is very impressive as damage goes! The new motor looks nice and with the mount set it is very affordable, good and good. You're lucky you got the servos, they are now on backorder. GL on Saturday. If the wind stays as light as the weather guessers say, AND if my mentor can go .... maiden today.
Don
Its worth the wait for these servos, they are much nicer then stock servos. Although I didn't have any big problems with stock ones, they are just too slow for an aerobatics plane. And they centred just very very slightly off.
Good luck Don have fun with maiden.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
My good friend and I went to fly today, light wind "mostly" down the rwy. Mentor/friend could not go. Sooooo, maiden another day. I took my Switch and my 48" balsa Super Sportster. Flew the Switch and had fun. Flew the Sportster and had trim issues. Dropped the right wing big time. Trimmed for semi-level flight and decided to land and sort it out. I had not flown it for MONTHS and forgot what a floater it was. Our rwy is 800' long and I could not get it on the deck! Ended up going off the end just barely moving and hit a fence pole. Knocked a hole in the leading edge between 2 ribs. Nothing serious, just need to put a balsa piece in and do a 3" LE sheet with a bit of new skin. Missed all ribs! LUCKY! Forgot how it flies, real floater. Why did it have a wing drop? Don't know just yet, damage takes priority over that ... for now. Flew the Switch 4 more times just so I knew it wasn't just me! Overall a good day.
One of our club members had an unexplained crash with a T-28, even his LiPo caught fire from impact damage. Then upon retrospect, a wing had been repaired with foam CA, at the field, and might have been flown too soon. That foam CA takes more time to dry and harden.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:17 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Don, That sucks a little, oh well another day for both planes hope you suss out that wing drop on you Sportster. Still wishing you good luck on your maiden
Sam
Old Feb 10, 2012, 05:26 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Well my MX2 is ready for tomorrow

Here's a video of the rudder and elevator in operation with new servos.
And some pics. Pilots name is Hans, I bought it from the LHS and the owner is named Hans, and its looked just like him, only without the grey hair
Starmax MX2 new servos test (0 min 16 sec)
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:18 AM
Deutschland, NDS, Oldenburg (Oldenburg)
Joined Aug 2011
573 Posts
hopefully hans is up to his duties in the mx2... control surface movement is pretty fast on your machine now, i like that!
Snoggle is offline Find More Posts by Snoggle
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:36 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoggle View Post
hopefully hans is up to his duties in the mx2... control surface movement is pretty fast on your machine now, i like that!
Yea, ailerons are still a little slow, these will be changed next I guess. Even some HXT900's would have to be better than whats in it now. Wish Hans luck for tomorrow! (That be Hans Solo, for the star wars fans )
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Did someone say those servos are fast? Uhm, well, if I had those fast ones I'd probably be waaay over controlling the plane. Jeeez, I put in expo so I sure don't need those!
Don
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Did someone say those servos are fast? Uhm, well, if I had those fast ones I'd probably be waaay over controlling the plane. Jeeez, I put in expo so I sure don't need those!
Don
They are only as fast as you can move your fingers
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Verrry happy with the new setup on the MX2, flew twice today, no issues.
Motor has plenty of oopmh to prop hang, not way over the top (although 5S batteries would really make it move!) But with a 14x8 prop, its a a fair amount better than stock motor. I want to try and experiment with different props. 14x7 may go ok, but speed may suffer a bit much.
The canopy ejected itself at one stage, but my faithful flying buddy, and girlfriend chased it down . I need to cut the relief air hole a bit larger I reckon.
All in all I was pleased, I need to fly in less wind, it was very blowy today, nearly could get ground speed to zero!
Still need to watch for wing drops though, haven't taped aileron joints yet.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:50 AM
Romania, Neamt, Piatra Neamt
Joined Sep 2010
65 Posts
Could you post an image with the hole in the fuse for the air vent. I'm planning on doing the same, but have no idea where and how large. Thank you in advance.
AndyRo is offline Find More Posts by AndyRo
Old Feb 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRo View Post
Could you post an image with the hole in the fuse for the air vent. I'm planning on doing the same, but have no idea where and how large. Thank you in advance.
Very rough, but it works somewhat.
Under high G manoeuvres I still drop canopy.
Hole is about 20mm x 20mm, and under servo tray, but I think it needs to be a bit bigger. Ill try making it larger but if that doesn't keep canopy on, Ill have to come up with a latch of some sort.
I finished the day flying with a rubber band wrapped around fuse holding canopy on, works fine but isn't appealing to the eye. Just a field bodge job to keep it in the air
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Quite a few pages ago someone had posted a link to a better manual for the MX2. I copied it to my desktop and it has many good tips including air holes in the fuselage. They say to do 3 holes, and I did. They look to be about 1" in size and are located at 180, 235, and 265mm back from the back edge of the landing gear foam piece. I used a small hole saw attachment on my drill. Made for a clean set of holes. The foam is pretty thick the further back you go, so take your time and watch out for servo wires! I diconnected everything and got them out of the way 1st thing. I also added an extra magnet at the rear of the canopy, hope it will hold it!
Don
Old Feb 11, 2012, 04:35 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,148 Posts
DK your on the right track.Look at the balsa 3d planes, our motors,and battery's are bigger,and we are operating in the 60 to 90 amp range, most of the 48" planes have three cell, 45 amp and smaller motors .They have a large opening behind the canopy on the bottom of the plane.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,001 Posts
Today is super windy in S. AL so there is no golf or flying.
I've been watching the ProAm at Pebble Beach for my golf fix and did some CG with the MX2. My ESC is as far forward as it can go, it is literally touching the inside of the cowl. I pushed my 2650 4s all the way forward in the "tunnel" and still had to add 1 1/4 oz of weight inside the cowl to get it close. The 3000 4s batteries fit in better? Does that extra weight help much? Getting my battery to stay in place is my concern. I put some Velcro on the bottom of the tunnel as well as a piece on my battery, but I don't like it. It's not as solid as I'm used to. There is room for a strap on my other planes. I cut a piece out of the packing foam and jam fit it to help hold the battery. I can pick the plane up and shake the snot out of it and the battery doesn't move ....but ... I wish there was a battery that fit closer to the wing rod/spar that was heavy enough to balance this critter. If it would fit closer to the opening I could used more Velcro and still be able to get my fingers on it for removal. I may just add a bunch more weight in the firewall area so I can place the battery more conveniently. Jeeez
Don