HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2012, 06:35 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Sammy .... the measurement is the number supplied by the builder/manufacturer. The only possible issue is to whether to do it right side up or inverted. Numbers are the same. Does that help?
Don
Cool, cheers I was running about 110mm right side up, it flew fine for what I noticed. When I get new motor (hopefully early next week) I'll have to calculate battery location to get correct CG again.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:51 AM
Annapolis, Maryland, USA
Joined Mar 2005
175 Posts
RE. BALANCING UPSIDE DOWN OR RIGHTSIDE UP:

I ALWAYS balance low wing monoplanes upside down. I have a COG balancing tool sold by Great Planes that specifies this: Balance high wing monoplanes rightside up; balance low wing monoplanes inverted.

What about those with sort of "mid-fuse wing" positions? Well, my 3D Hobby Shop Edge 54 looks like that, and it seems to balance about the same either inverted or right side up.

But for the MX, there's no question: inverted only.
Waterbird is offline Find More Posts by Waterbird
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Thanks! I have that same balancing "machine" and there was no way it was going to fit under the landing gear to check balance at the wing root. So, I'll do it inverted. I'd classify this MX2 as a mid wing, since the wings go into the fuselage rather than attach squarely to the bottom. But, The darned manuals were not specific. Thanks again.
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Feb 07, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
OK folks .... I enlisted the talents of my DW (Darling Wife) to assist me with the ESC programming. The menu shows a SINGLE music note and then the tone sequence. It plays several notes. I could not get to a point where it played ONE stinking note. That is where my confusion occurred. As an air traffic controller for ALL of my life, right is right, wrong is wrong, white is white, etc, etc, etc. So when they show ONE note, I'm looking for one note ... no variable. She simply said "they mean music"! huh? Several notes? Why do they show one? Soooo, with her thinking, it was done. Dang, will I be this way the rest of my life? I've also figured out the DX8 ... they have the graph display for no stinking reason. You just enter the %'s for your DR and expo and that graph is there for OOH AHH effect. Means nothing! So, you pay for the thing that they think is impressive. That and 30 model capacity. OK, OK, you also get timers and warning stuff too.

I am having an issue with the springs on the tail wheel. I bought a 200 piece kit so I have springs coming out of my ..... and I have used soft ones and stiff (!) ones and none of them allow the wheel to turn with the rudder. This time I am well and truly stumped. Plane will fly soon, even if I have to go back to those tail rods.
Don
Last edited by dkrhardy; Feb 08, 2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:45 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Don, I bought a couple of really cheap retractable ball point pens, stripped 'em down and used the springs within. They had to shortened somewhat and have loops bent on either end, but that's no biggie and they work perfectly well.
Ben D Wing is online now Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Ben,
Those are the same type I tried the 1st time and they didn't work. On my plane the one side of the spring just stretches when the rudder is turned and the wheel doesn't turn. This is with the tail in the air and there is no load on that wheel. Maybe I have them too strong and they won't let the thing turn. Gotta play with it I guess. Lord knows I have lots of springs to choose from!
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,403 Posts
Hi guys, can someone please measure the dimensions of the canopy and the dimensions of the cowling for me.
Thanks!
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 08, 2012, 06:28 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
OK, with 200 springs to play with I think I've got the right ones on it. Tail wheel turns with the rudder, just not as much. I presume that when the plane is moving it will be better. Maiden tomorrow, if the wind permits! I have the low rate waaaay down, I think I used 50% and high is about 80%. Expo is 30% for both. My servos seem more than capable and center/re-center perfectly. No noise nor "flutter". Anyone know which plane on Real Flight 6 mimics the MX2?

msev - that is gonna be hard to do. They both have lots of curves and tapers. What are you trying to do?

Don
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
My new motor has arrived ill be putting it back together tonight after work
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Sammy - I went back to the end of december and only found a mention of your motor problem. What happened and what did you get to replace it? Just in case mine goes bad!
Don
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Sammy - I went back to the end of december and only found a mention of your motor problem. What happened and what did you get to replace it? Just in case mine goes bad!
Don
Motor bell separated from inner coil during a throttle runup on ground (luckily), spat that with prop a good 30m
I did have the motor apart a few flights before, so I think a circlip failed. I wouldn't worry too much about yours. Ill take some pics of the damage (to motor only - phew) and upload them tonight, its a bit impressive. I got a NTM motor from HK, I think I have link shown on my post a while back? I can post link up later too just forgot the size numbers.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 05:32 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Here's what happened to stock motor. You can't see it in the photo, but the red end cap and black outer tube are now oval (ish)
I have my new motor in, a bit of modding the original motor bracket, but all good
Motor weights (old school inaccurate scales, should be close):
-stock (as is seen in photo below, all mounting hardware included) 225g
-NTM prop drive 42-48 and accessories 275g

I have installed D-MG16 servos for the elev and rudder, wow they are a lot faster than stock servos! The servo tray needed the cutouts very slightly extended, which ruins one of the screw holes, but I just drove one with a larger head in and its fine.

Very much looking forward to remaiden, saturday hopefully!
Last edited by sammyc; Feb 09, 2012 at 05:38 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Thanks Sammy.
That is very impressive as damage goes! The new motor looks nice and with the mount set it is very affordable, good and good. You're lucky you got the servos, they are now on backorder. GL on Saturday. If the wind stays as light as the weather guessers say, AND if my mentor can go .... maiden today.
Don
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,106 Posts
Hi All I fly g5.5 and use the carbon z yak , the Gp extra 300,the cap electric 3d, If you can fly these you can fly about any thing.Then just for kicks try and fly the Bugatti r 100 ,and the pond racer.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Feb 09, 2012, 12:57 PM
Kick tires & light fires
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Horizontal Stabilizer

I personally love this plane, minus one thing. At hi speeds my horizontal stab. flutters violently. In fact it broke my tail wheel in mid flight last time i flew. Anyone else having this issue? I made a slit down the middle of the stab, inserted a reinforcing dowel in the slit and poked through the fuselage to the other side of the stab. I then epoxied that in and painted a thin layer of some epoxy on the underside of the stab to let it harden and hopefully stiffen the stab. up. The next time I flew at high speed, it fluttered, the tail wheel broke off and now i am at this point. One thing I learned is this foam is tough to with stand the force from these flutters!

One more thing, I am going to replace the stock servos with new ones. Any suggestions? I saw some suggestions on another page from hobby king but they are back ordered and I want to fly sooner.
Flyboy.123 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy.123