HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
Mav - I just watched them, very nice! Uhm, that tree incident .... what happened and how did the plane hold up to the sudden stop?

What kind of dual rates did you use, hi and low? Did you dial in any expo? Using simple words, please because I am a simple man , was it at all twitchy? Seemed to be very pitch sensitive in the videos, but then with the zooming in and out and the auto focus going on it may not have been the plane, just the rapidly changing view. I have been compiling a mental checklist and it seems you did ALL of the things that I'm concerned about. Good job, now I have a visual to go with my thoughts! BUT, I'm going to use the tail wheel! Also, will the pants come off without cutting into the gear strut cover? I don't like pants but I'd like to keep the metal gear legs covered. Thanks again!
Don

Oh, yet another question .... I read that someone waaaay back in the thread had a problem getting the cowl off. Is it hard to get it off? How did you go about it? I also will place the ESC up there and hope it's not too much trouble getting the cowl off.
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Last edited by dkrhardy; Jan 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:51 AM
Sverige, Örebro Län, Hallsberg
Joined Oct 2011
126 Posts
Nice videos! Exactly how did you heat up and straighten the cuved wing?
Kaptenklister is offline Find More Posts by Kaptenklister
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
I'm sure he'll tell us, but I have done it to another plane and it was easy. Hair dryer, not heat gun, because I was concerned about too much heat damaging the foam. Heat all around the area you want to bend, top and bottom side. Let it get warm, not too hot, but quite warm. Then very carefully bend it the direction you want it to go. OR, as I did ... lay it on a flat surface and place weight on it and let it cool. I used several heavy books. You may need to do it several times. I needed 4 or 5 times to get mine where I wanted it.

I will check my MX2 carefully when it gets here. Lots of good info thanks to these folks here!
Old Jan 29, 2012, 04:22 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
205 Posts
Thank you all for your kind words.

Waterbird

Your right, my landings were hot, all that talk on here about dropping a wind at slow speed, made me unnecessarily nervous.As for the knife edge`s, they were easily achieved with this plane.I don't know about in stock form but with a little trimming of the vertical stab it now has plenty of rudder travel.I know the video doesn't show it very well,i had to edit out the blurry, un-viewable stuff, and mine were sloppy but she is very comfortable on her side.

dkrhardy

Surprisingly the plane suffered very little damage from the invisible tree ...... Here is a pic of the only damage to the leading edge

As for duel rates and expo......... YES and YES ...... a must in my opinion.
I set mine pretty mushy and docile at first on my DX7......

Low rates
Aile D/R= 70% with +40 EXP
Elev D/R= 70% with +50 EXP
Rudd D/R= 80% with +50 EXP

High rates
Aile D/R= 100% with +40 EXP
Elev D/R= 100% with +50 EXP
Rudd D/R= 100% with +50 EXP

And ya the video camera has a date with the trash very soon

The cowl comes off very easy, just 1 screws on either side of the fuselage so 2 in total. They are kind of hidden by the water decals and you will damage the decals upon removing the screws.

As for the wheel pants, they can easily be removed as well.they are just glued to the metal landing gear.

Here are a couple of pic`s

OH and dkrhardy was bang-on on the fixing of the warped wing Kaptenklister.

1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Last edited by 1111Mavrick; Jan 29, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
Not so bad damage. You know the boiling water method for "popping" out those dents? I'll say it anyway, 'cause if you don't we will waste your time going back and forth.

Pour rapidly boiling water over the dented area and the dent will pop out to original. OR, dip the dented part into a pot of boiling water. Be careful, too much will cause the foam bubbles to over puff and will look like alligator skin. If you get the a-gator skin, push down lightly on the popped up part before it cools off and try to get it more smooth. Easy to do and a BIG dent just goes away! My friend bought a plane that had a deep dent in a wing tip and it popped out to the point that you'd never know it had been dented! I've used it on small dents and it works, but on deep dents like yours it is unbelievable. Try it, it's only water!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,098 Posts
Hi all, Golden rod is a control cable made buy Sullivan.It has a wound brass cable, and a yellow Teflon sheath. I seldom through any thing away so I use the small scraps of the guide tube to make the latches.Then I fabricate a bent piece of piano wire to slide in side.I also use small magnets from K&J magnetics.I'll try and get some better pics,and maybe a drawing later.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:19 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,098 Posts
Mavrick nice video thanks
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:27 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
Mine should be here tomorrow .... let' see what shows up!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
slower landings

Mav - nice maiden! I broke my wheel pants off in my first flight coming in too hot also afraid of the wing drop.

I've taken some advice - (like you have) on this thread to make this a nice plane with manageable flight characteristics. (though I also agree that this is a heavy aerobatic bird - not 3D... unless Wargo is at the sticks ; )

I've cut a few small holes in the fuse below the servo tray to reduce air pressure in order to keep the canopy secured. I've added rare earth magnets to the canopy for the same reason. I've replaced the tail wheel linkage rods with small springs in order to protect the rudder servo from stripping. I've replaced the elevator servo with a metal gear micro. I fly with a 2200 mah turnigy 4c batt velcroed down about 1/2 inch fore of the carbon spar to get the cg spot on.

I have also re-programmed the ESC as per someone's advice. This may be my favorite "mod". I set the prop brake to OFF, and the windmilling affect of the prop really slows the plane down for landing. I have yet to experience the dreaded wing drop that I have read about - maybe because of this. My MX just stalls flat and mushy... With the prop brake on, (default programming) this thing will really glide - a long time - and fast -making the landings somewhat challenging ... I have no flaperons or flaps, but I think setting the prop brake off really slows the landing down to a comfortable glide slope in. See what you think.

BTW - I think I'll try ditching the tail wheel... I see that it handles pretty well without it, and any way to save weight without losing performance is good IMHO.

Joe
jjmcarlson is offline Find More Posts by jjmcarlson
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
prop brake off

I looked back (pg.21) - thanks to bigwood212 for the advice on turning the prop brake off to decrease glide. Made all the difference in the world for my landings.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrash View Post
Hold the plane by the nose cone and rudder to find the balance of the plane side to side. Even after you do this and get it balanced, when it stalls it will still drop a wing, It may just be more random then predictable to which wing.
I was wondering about this and here's my question. Since most props aren't centered (most tilt down and right to counter torque roll), wouldn't holding the plane by the nose cone and the rudder usually lead to a right wing drop? I find lateral balance by holding the rudder and a fingertip in center of plane under cowling...? Is this correct?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
I don't think so. I have done all of my planes that way and the ones that are balanced well don't drop a wing and the ones that are a bit off on the lateral balance DO drop a wing. If the motor angle does affect it, it has to be a very small amount.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2010
3,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Mine should be here tomorrow .... let' see what shows up!
Did NOT come today! I called the postmaster and he said it should have been delivered as scheduled but it did not show up at the PO this morning. Maybe tomorrow, and he's looking into it.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:52 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
205 Posts
dkrhardy

Sorry to here your bird did not arrive today.... there`s always tomorrow
And yes i have used the boiling water method on other planes which worked well so i will try it again.

jjmcarlson

Sounds like you are right on track with all the mods you`v done.
I just have 2 concerns with your set up..... 1- I assume you meant 40c for your batteries and not 4c and 2- I find it rather difficult to believe that your CG is correct with the 2200 mah battery only 1/2 inch in front of the spar.
Unless your plane is different then mine, even with all the weight from the tail wheel assembly removed, I`v had to stuff the 2200 mah battery ALL the way to the front of the nose to get the CG 100mm back from the leading edge.
So thats about 4 inches from the spar to where the back of the battery starts.

I think you should check yours again.

I agree with you that with the brake off a spinning prop should and does slow the plane a little. I do have flaperons programed in but have yet to test them out..... I'm hoping the weather will allow me to this weekend.

1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2009
7 Posts
cg, etc.

yep - you're right... I meant 4S- 40C- 2200mah. Thanks for keeping me on my toes. I really do have this batt about 1/2 inch -sometimes right next to the spar... I bounced the maiden, and 2nd flight, but since then have had 10 or so flights with nice landings and a few greasers... Oh - I should mention - and this is a pretty huge variable that I somehow neglected. I'm using an APC 14 x 7 prop with a dubro 2 1/4" spinnner. Though I haven't really noticed a huge difference in speed, economy, etc (albeit qualitative observation). I even have the 70 amp esc in it's original position and not in the cowl - never even opened up the cowl. I set cg at about 110-115 mm from the leading edge of the wing. I find the flight characteristics to be pretty stable like this though...

Should I try moving the batt forward...? I like the way it takes of and lands as is, but maybe I'll give it a try and see. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. It's not an "easy" plane to fly, but I don't need Jedi focus or anything. I know tail heavy is better for 3d, but I really am not flying 3D - just aerobatic. When the wind dies down - maybe one of these days... I'll slide the battery as far forward as I can and give it a try. Thanks.

BTW - I really like this plane - I know it get's bashed because of all the mods you have to make to make it airworthy, but for someone who likes to tinker in order to make good products better - it's a pretty fun project. Notice I used the word project - read "not RTF"