SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2011, 08:55 PM
AMA# 957918
USA, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2011
91 Posts
No, you can't tell from the pics, but thats where the front tab for the canopy goes. You might be able to squeeze it up between were I put my reciever, but you'll need to cut foam. It looks like its designed for the battery to go just in front of the servos. A 2200 would fit there I think. I'm flying 3300s because I can also use them in my 500 size heli. Even with it pushed forward the MX2 is way tail heavy. I haven't solved that problem yet but I may have to really get the battery even more forward. I may have to try to get that damn cowl off to see what's up there.

@creapyd: thanks!
Pretorian435 is offline Find More Posts by Pretorian435
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 09:22 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
929 Posts
No, I'm not referring to the tab of course! Below that.... There is a battery-sized opening that goes forward to the ESC/motor. That area can clearly accommodate a battery - I installed a small strip of velcro directly ahead of the wing spar to keep it from sliding forward in flight, and placed the battery up front - Perfect, spot on CG.

Whether it's designed for that or not is irrelevant - Put the battery there and all CG issues disappear.
Roswalt is online now Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:17 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
No, I'm not referring to the tab of course! Below that.... There is a battery-sized opening that goes forward to the ESC/motor. That area can clearly accommodate a battery - I installed a small strip of velcro directly ahead of the wing spar to keep it from sliding forward in flight, and placed the battery up front - Perfect, spot on CG.

Whether it's designed for that or not is irrelevant - Put the battery there and all CG issues disappear.
Thanks for the info !!
I will be checking that out WHEN my plane gets here.. MAYBE today ?? ..
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:39 AM
AMA# 957918
USA, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2011
91 Posts
The battery, I think, does go far forward as the LT suggests. This did work but I had to make a minor modification to get the canopy back on as the battery lifts over the wing spar. The CG is very ticklish...

http://pretorian435.blogspot.com/201...2-cg-mods.html

BTW I updated my unboxing post with a pic of the actual box...
Pretorian435 is offline Find More Posts by Pretorian435
Old Apr 24, 2011, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2003
130 Posts
What is the trick to getting the canopy off as I am worried about
breaking the foam with to much pressure...
Sure it something to do with the 3 openings on the side but NOTHING seems to work..
Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:09 AM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
929 Posts
The magnet is VERY strong at the rear of the canopy. Pinch the edges at the lower rear section of the canopy and pull it up - Be careful not to exert too much pressure on the forward section because there is a tab that goes into the body up front. Just yank from the back and it should come free.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:29 AM
Joined Jul 2003
130 Posts
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswalt View Post
The magnet is VERY strong at the rear of the canopy. Pinch the edges at the lower rear section of the canopy and pull it up - Be careful not to exert too much pressure on the forward section because there is a tab that goes into the body up front. Just yank from the back and it should come free.
Thanks LT that worked great AFTER the glue they
spilled broke loose ...Works great now ..Thanks again..
Still nervos with the 9 gram servos as there is weight to this plane..
Walt
Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:54 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,503 Posts
Are there any videos or flight reports out there yet? I'm dying to pull the trigger on this one, but I really don't want to be a beta tester.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:05 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
929 Posts
-Delete-
Last edited by Roswalt; Apr 26, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:06 PM
Capt, USAF
Joined Feb 2009
929 Posts
None that I trust. You can thank the Texas winds for my inability to get you anything close to a flight review.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:34 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,503 Posts
Roswalt - yeah, it's pretty windy here too, though if I had one, I'd probably be tempted to give it a shot, and naturally I'd be bringing it home in pieces.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Hi All,
I'm very interested in this plane, I'm about to order it here in Europe (really more expensive than bananahobby.... but $126 shipping cost from bananahobby to France ).

I have a few question for you guys

1) In your opinion, it is possible to fly this model without landing gear (hand launch, landing on the boby in the grass, by using a 2 blade prop and brake to avoid breaking the prop during landing) ? Usually I fly smaller models because I do nat have a track and I'm flying in fields in the campaign, and I had no problem doing like this for smaller models.

2) I will have to order lipos for this plane because for my current planes I only have 2200mAh 3S or 4000mAh 4S, which lipo is it necessary to buy to have the maximum of autonomy and a correct GC ?

3) I wonder if it is about an evolution on models sold in Europe or in the USA, or if it is 2 different versions, but electronics is completely different between these 2 versions :
bananahobby :
Flying Weight: 2100g
Drive System: 4250 Brushless Outrunner 700KV Motor
ESC: Brushless 70amp Speed Controller
Battery: 14.8V 3200mAh 25C Li-Polymer
Servo: 4X 9g high speed micro servos

ModelRC74 :
Poids : 1900 g
Moteur : B3648 650kv outrunner
ESC+BEC : 45 A prise DEAN
Batterie : 2200 mAh 4S
Servos : 2x 9gr + 2 *17g high torque

Thanks
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old Apr 27, 2011, 08:06 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Its the same plane. Bananahobby changes some stuff to the way it works best for them. They prob upd the power and lipo size thats all.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:29 AM
Clear Lake near NASA
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Quote:
The CG is very very skittish; if I merely flex my fingertip it flies off in one direction or the other, no subtlety.
Pretorian - What do you mean by this? sensitive in pitch? that is not a cg issue in many cases. The Vert stab is a flying one and will have a great moment for pitch. Perhaps a nice expo is needed on the radio?

Still thinking this may be a good deal and a nice plane to at least take some wind and have some mild aerobatics.

Waiting on some flying reports.
Sniperone is offline Find More Posts by Sniperone
Old Apr 29, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
A French user who flies with the stock configuration (Europe version) said to me that the plane has NOT enough power to make good 3D (torque roll impossible, just able to keep the noze up at full throttle).
I will have to buy a complet new set of propulsion.
I will probably use Nano-Tech 3300 4S lipos (360gr), the plane should weigh about 2200gr (5 lb). Do you have an idea for the motor, ESC and prop that I need to buy (in a moderate price) ?

Thanks.
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny