HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 08:24 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
OK....if anyone wants spares and is prepared to ship from the UK, Wheelspin Models in the UK has access to shadow stocks. It took them 7 days to deliver a prop adaptor and a spare original undercarriage; not the fastest, but at least it got here. When I looked they had props and spinners too.

You need to look for them under the Top Gun Park Flite MX2, as that is how they are selling it.
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2011, 06:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Synapse View Post
boshman...where can you get that landing gear you mention and if you don't mind, how much does it cost? How large of a vent did you cut in the fuselage?

thanks.
The source for the landing gear is - http://www.carboncopyuk.com/acatalog...carriages.html
It cost around 25 - there is a size chart on the site so you can pick the one closest to the original. The hole in the bottom of the fuz is about 2cm square - I may enlarge it if I need more cooling but it certainly helps the canopy stay inplace.
boshman is offline Find More Posts by boshman
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:26 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
The stock landing gear are very heavy. Just the foam around it was 30grams. also the block it srews into is very cool. If you take your gear off you can just pull out the lower part of the mounting plate and pop new wood in.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Aug 08, 2011, 04:08 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
thanks for the info on the landing gear. I'll have to check them out tonight.
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:43 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
Finally my Starmax (Blitzworks?) Giant EPO MX2, arrived at my doorstep. Time to post some possible useful info.

First lets talk about the landing gear... While the landing gear is looking great IMHO it is not enough in front of the plane's CoG. The struts can be changed quit well by bending in a vise and then some more bending. Just make sure when changing also change the foam wheel covers a little cutting of foam since the angle changed. You have demontage everything and remove wheels and other parts first ofcourse. Make sure the angle of the wheels is changed to let them still track straight. While you are at it, do widen the gear also. Widening it will be of help during sidewind landings.

See pictures of what it is about. BTW the CoG is just drawn as an indication for what we want to modify.

This mod prevents also the accidental prop modification by less chance of nosing over at full power start on less smooth runways.

Oh, before I forget, Yes I did maiden the plane and it flies very well. Keep in mind that I have version V2 of the MX2 Bluestar
rcbrother is offline Find More Posts by rcbrother
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:51 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
In case you manage to break the extremely sturdy( ahum.. :0) tail-wheel using brain + other parts most of you posses, a quick fix is shown in the photos and the result is even stronger than the original solution, amazingly.
Last edited by rcbrother; Aug 18, 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 11:58 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
And if you just a giant MX2 freshman, make sure to check if the ESC in your plane is fastened, mine was not and would have been "eaten" by the motor in flight no doubt.

I've used rip ties, protective foam for wires and some ducktape to fasten the wires and the ESC since I was in a hurry to get this thing airborne.

The pictures will clarify a little maybe. Notice it is the 70A ESC of the V2 model.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:05 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
One last tip for today - Make sure your spinner sits FLUSH against the shaft. I've seen others where the spinner was not fastened the way it is supposed to, possibly leading to severe mishap.

Initially it might look it is not possible, but it is, just try to rotate the spinner a little then push. see LAST picture. Well, a picture is worth more than...
Old Aug 09, 2011, 04:40 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
I may order a space of mx2. I went flying today and I really like this plane. Its not a 3dhs edge but it flys pretty good and I leave it in my car. I broke a wing today and a little of the 30min gorrilla glue fixed it right up.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 02:02 AM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
I the end we all will become a member of SAD
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:26 AM
Romania, Neamt, Piatra Neamt
Joined Sep 2010
62 Posts
Got mine yesterday, and it is almost ready for take of. Made some changes, removed the broken Topfire servos for elevator and rudder, and installed some Robbe FS502 BB, checked them with turnigy servo tester; works perfect.
I also bought some Turnigy Nano 4S 2200, and made a quick test, the gust of air behind the airplane is very powerfull, almost ripped my moms flowers from a window 5m away, so probably it will rise of the ground ).

Someone posted here that he had a problem with the wings that fell apart in mid air, beeing held only by the carbon fiber rod; the wings are also secured with screwing bolts. Hinges look strong, not stiff plastic the can shatter if not handled with care.

I suggest inspecting carefully every part of the plane before first flight, secure with epoxy where needed, the fire wall, servo mounting plate, landing gear plate. I also put some small sheets of plywood 2mm thick, near the hole where the carbon fiber rod is inserted into the fuselage.

Until now, the plane loos very nice, the only thing that bothers me is that you cand damage the surface very easly beeing a foammy. Pictures soon
AndyRo is offline Find More Posts by AndyRo
Old Aug 12, 2011, 01:23 PM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
AndyRo...please share pics and how the maiden flight goes. I am going to have to wait on this one to get back in stock at the USA warehouse as well as start saving to buy it as I had to replace my funjet ultra airframe this week due to a total loss a couple of weeks ago. That money was going to go towards the MX2. It's kind of hard to land a plane when one of the esc connectors comes loose from the battery in flight due to a bad soldering job on my part. Anyway, I still plan on getting the MX2 soon. keep up the reports fellas.
good luck.
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
yep same one I got. Looks great. Unfortunatly theres no props in stock. The prop is a 12x9x3. Does anyone really know what the equivilant sized two blade is to that? I have some 14x8 wood props coming but I was guessing.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
oh yea your canopy will fall off. You gotta put more magnets on it and cut a whole in the fuse to let air flow out.