HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:53 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Hobby King are now stocking more spares it seems; wings, tails, cowls (woohoo, even though they have no decals on them!). Search for MX2 on their site and more bits seem to appear almost daily!
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 08:03 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
How can I attach a prop without the spinner?

I just hit the ground pretty hard and i am amazed that only the spinner and prop broke. Gear bent but I will bend it back. I was torque rolling and lost control. It was a hard hit but it is foam so it took it.

I did touch and goes all day long. This plane lands so easy. Very fun.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Aug 03, 2011, 08:45 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,806 Posts
Sub'd
Bowerz is online now Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Aug 03, 2011, 09:30 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Sub'd
?
Old Aug 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
Joined Apr 2006
2 Posts
hw33 is offline Find More Posts by hw33
Old Aug 03, 2011, 12:22 PM
Joined Sep 2009
3,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Warmwater View Post
?
It means subscribed. the easiest way to subscribe is to write a comment, and when you can't think of something interested to say, people just write that.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 01:08 PM
Amsterdam
Joined Nov 2006
155 Posts
@bigwood212, it would be great if you could share your landing strategy. If you could also add which battery you use, or at least it's weight that would be appreciated. Also your battery position or the CoG you use.
rcbrother is offline Find More Posts by rcbrother
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:30 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrother View Post
@bigwood212, it would be great if you could share your landing strategy. If you could also add which battery you use, or at least it's weight that would be appreciated. Also your battery position or the CoG you use.
I am useing a turnigy 4cell 40c 2200mah lipo. I push it all the way foward.

I land by both just gliding in and harrier depending on how I am feeling.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
I would do some power tests with props but I broke my 3 blade prop and I havent decided how to put the others on. The threads on the shaft end before they reach my electric props so I cant tighten them. I may see what happends if I stack washer on there but I am thinking it will throw it all off balance.
Old Aug 03, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
oh and my rudder servo stripped. Opened it up and no metal gears all plastic. Im prob gonna order some metal from hobbyking.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:23 AM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2008
1,527 Posts
Hi Guys... I don't know if anyone posted this already, but here is my video I did for HobbyKing on the MX2. I also did one on the Giant Yak EPO if you would like to see that doing 3d.

HobbyKing 3D - HobbyKing MX 2 1400mm EPO (3 min 34 sec)
mtwargo is offline Find More Posts by mtwargo
Old Aug 04, 2011, 10:20 AM
Gravity Fighter
Springdale, AR
Joined May 2008
206 Posts
@mtwargo

Michael,

Thanks for posting that. I believe that is the video I stumbled across a couple of weeks ago that really sparked my interest in the MX2 from HK. Do you have anything you could add about that plane as far as improvements or suggestions? What about the type and size battery you use on it and where do you place it in the fuselage. Several on here have made comments about enlarging the compartment forward of the spar in order to achieve a bettery COG.

Any constructive input you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts and for the video.

David
Psycho Synapse is offline Find More Posts by Psycho Synapse
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:18 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
I use a 2200mAh 40C Turnigy battery in mine and get about 6 minutes flight out of it. I've located it in the forward compartment without having to enlarge it (bigger batteries wouldn't fit without some "alterations". I push it forward just about as far as my finger can reach and this gives a CoG approx between the main spar and the aileron servo lead slot. This gives a good balanced glide.

I have had to upgrade / change the power set in mine due to an "unscheduled arrival" (now using a Hacker A30, 60amp ESC and a 13 x 6.5 prop). I also had to rebuild the firewall.

This brought to light an issue and I can't say whether it was due to my rebuild of the firewall or if it was pre-existing (my suspicion is the former). While the plane appeared balanced properly and glided fine, under power it pulled down significantly. This was due to the down angle in the motor mounting; as the motor was actually mounted above the vertical CoG. after many adjustments using washers as shims, I ended up putting about 2-3 degs of upthrust in the motor mount.

Before I tracked this down, I was trimming the aircraft for flight under-power using a bit of up elevator. This meant that in a glide, the aircraft had a tendancy to pitch up slightly, lose speed and stall. As a result, every landing needed to be a powered (and therefore faster!) landing to avoid a horrible left wing stall at about 2 feet up.

The reason I mention this is that while some people have had good experiences with the balance of the plane and it's landing characteristics, others have had problems and need a faster, powered landing. It may be worth trimming your aircraft a for a good glide and then adjusting your thrust angle to compensate for any pitching up or down under power. I know for many this is teaching you to suck eggs when it comes to set-up, but for me and for several of my fellow fliers at the field, it was a minor revelation. The aircraft handles really well now and is very different from the "on the edge" machine that she was before! I come from heli flying to planes and the old mantra is true; setup is everything....and when you have done that, do some more setup, as the detailed setup is what counts!

Now she flies perfectly under-power and in the glide. There is some inherent right thrust remaining there as well, which in a vertical climb does show, so next time I need to take the prop off, I will probably adjust that as well.

As it is, she is currently nicely balanced with the 2200mAh battery in the forward compartment and with this power set, she will go limitless vertical and prop hang (untidily....that's a pilot problem, not the plane) at about 3/4 stick.

I must stress, I am no 3D pilot; my attempts at prop hanging take place at altitude, which while safer, doesn't give you a close view of how the plane is behaving. All I can really comment on is the power available and not how well balanced she is for 3D. For an "advanced intermediate", who is looking to learn some slightly more interesting manouevers, she is now a well behaved plane!
Old Aug 04, 2011, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2009
3,806 Posts
Thanks luke, that was very informative and helpful!
Old Aug 04, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtwargo View Post
Hi Guys... I don't know if anyone posted this already, but here is my video I did for HobbyKing on the MX2. I also did one on the Giant Yak EPO if you would like to see that doing 3d.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7pfVLdttZM
You are great man! Im new on acrobatic rc planes (already 3d capable on helis) and bought this plane. Kind of disapointed with it but your video has made me go for my epoxy and glue my plane again so I will try again.

Im sure that after your video, Hobbycity will sell this planes a lot more than what they expected!
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J