SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 29, 2011, 08:53 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar J View Post
Hey Guys!
Any proven propeller that helps on doing hover on mx2? Is the stock one ok? Or is there a better one? (I dont care too much about speed, actually I dont like speed on planes.)
With my MX2, the only way for hovering would be to replace the motorization set. If you have a look to the first pages of this topic, I have made some static thrust tests, with 3 bladed stock prop and with an APC-E 14x7, they could let think that, that would be OK for hovering, in practice (in dynamics), it is not the case
I have flown with both props, and the APC 14x7 is not better than the stock prop for hovering, same performance, you have to be full throttle !
- performance in flight (thrust, hover, vertical performance) : 14x7 = stock prop
- noise : 14x7 > stock prop (a little more noisy, and more nice noise)
- Speed : stock prop > 14x7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post
Also, the elevator is pretty small, can't see getting much 3D action with it, but I'll reserve judgement until I get it up and flying.
Bob
It's true, but this elevator is effective, even for acrobatics I do not need to use the maximum travels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgmag View Post

.......out of the box, can this bird be called a 3D machine.

Bob
For sure... no
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2011, 10:57 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Hey can someone measure the landing gear dimensions? I'm going to order some CF gear and naturally the plane is at home, and I'm at work....

Bob
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Jun 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
To replace the LG on my MX2, I have ordered this one. I think that I will receive it before the week-end or early next week, so I can't tell you now if it fits perfectly or not.

Concerning your question, the real dimensions have a look to this picture.
Dimensions:
B: 120mm
D: 310mm
H: 150mm
It's approximative dimensions as my LG have been bent and unbent a few times. The drawing represents only 1/2 LG, but the dimensions which I gave are for complete LG, so you don't have to x2
Old Jun 29, 2011, 01:07 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
@Spouny - thanks, I was looking at those too.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Very sad to hear that... but thanks Spouny.

Any advice about a quite cheap motor capable to make it hover?
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J
Old Jun 30, 2011, 09:50 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
823 Posts
I bought the green MX-2 from hobbyking. I ordered it from the chinese warehouse and it took weeks to arrive. I chose the standard airmail. Usually my plane arrives within a week with HK standard parcel airmail to the U.S. They sent it Singpost this time and it took forever!

The plane arrived well packed but in a non-descriptive box. The plane was not damaged. I thought the plane would go together easy much like the bolt together FMS warbirds. During the build however I found that was not the case. The instructions include chinglish and thumbnail size photos.

The kit arrived with the the esc left unplugged to the motor and laying in the middle of the fuse. I had to take the cowling off and get really creative with hooking up the esc. Because the nose section where the esc sits is very tight. The kit shorted me some screws and bolts. I had to run to a hardware store and purchase some. I ended up having to glue several parts as well including the control horns because the included screws would not stay seated (the pre-drilled holes on the horns were too big, nothing for the threads to grasp). Looks like mine has 17g servos for the elevator and rudder. 9g's for the ailerons. The cowling screws would also not hold the cowling (hole to big once again) so I had to tack the cowling on with foam safe CA.

The paint and stickers are of low quality, the stickers flake apart easily when touched so be careful handling the plane.

I do like that the cowling holes lead into an air channel that flows past the esc, to the battery, and then past the receiver and to the servos. I didn't have any problem with the hinges and I found that mine seem pretty smooth. So far, I have no reason to change them.

My rudder/ tail wheel steering arrived as many others has, with two piano wires that do not fit without bending them. I took the advice that others have posted on here. Grab two cheapie "click" type retractable ink pens, take them apart, and remove the springs. Take a pair of needle nose and stretch out both ends to form a hook. Attach the hooks to both of the control horns. Now adjust the tension of the springs. It works and tracks perfectly!

Now for the maiden:

I did some taxi tests the night before then went out the next morning to maiden the plane. Winds were dead calm and skies were clear. I did a few more taxi runs and then decided to take off. The aircraft started to pick up some speed, hit a small crack in the pavement (very small) and the left main collapsed, bent backwards, and the prop struck.

The aircraft never even got airborne before getting boogered up.

I went home and found that the bolts holding the landing gear on, literally bent from the force leading me to believe that the landing gear is very weak, at least the connection to the fuse. I ended up removing the bolts, adding sheet metal screws and then covered the whole assembly with Gorilla Glue. I also took sand paper and filed the prop until it ran balanced again.

I waited a day for everything to cure and went and attempted flight the next morning. The winds were light and the skies were once again clear.

This time everything went well, the gear held up and with only half throttle the plane lifted off within 50 ft. It tracked perfectly straight. I was prepared for the massive amount of rudder needed (like my FMS P-51 needs on takeoff) and found nearly no rudder was necessary. My plane tracked straight into the air, no rolling tendencies to the left or right. It needed a little bit of up elevator trim and a little bit of right aileron trim and it was good to go. Cruising around at half throttle is very quick with this plane. I didn't do any acro with the flight, I just wanted to trim it, fly it around the patch doing patterns, figure 8s, and a few low passes. Also I noticed that as I flew faster, the canopy started to lift off. It is held on by magnets. Fearing that I may lose my battery, I decided to forgo a loop or roll until I can add another magnet or better latch. I also did a few more takeoffs and landings. The first one was bouncy (first time flying a tail-dragger in a while) but the gear held up well, the next few were super smooth. The plane seemed to land fast but I didn't push the slow speed that low to the ground on landing to be safe. I just flew about 1/3 throttle on base and then 1/4 throttle on final, then just before "over the fence" I cut the throttle and it glided pretty fast in. There were no tip stall tendencies so far with mine on landing.

I placed the Zippy Lipo 4s 2650mah battery as far forward as it could go. That still placed the CG a little aft of the recommended CG from the instruction manual. However, in flight I needed a little nose up trim, so the battery could probably be slide back a little bit and most likely the factory CG is off. Also the battery was at 15.4 volt when I finished flying for about 8 minutes. Also the battery is pretty new with only a couple of cycles so it may get better.

Also I noticed my plane has some anhedral to the wings, does anyone else have that? Maybe that could be the cause of some peoples stability issues?

I also had dual rates setup with expo and flew that way. Using a Turnigy 9x with an 8xcv2 receiver. I had the lowest mechanical rate set on the aileron control horns, and used the middle hole on the elevators.

Here are some pics of the plane before maiden attempt #2. I wanted to get some pics of the beauty before I flew it just in case...

jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Jul 01, 2011, 07:06 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
looks great in the pics.

I got the same plane. My esc was plugged in already and I also have 17g servos in the tail and they actually feel strong and I think they are metal gear. I love the way this plane looks. The colors really pop. Its def a looker for a foam plane anyway. I am not sure about the cowl. Its made of really thin plastic. It feels kind of rubbery. It may or may not be a good thing. My tail gear has the wires also and my main gears feel really strong but I have not hit any cracks or flown it. I just rolled around in the street. I will be filling the gear box area with gorrilla glue before maiden anyway. I learned that trick from 3dhs and do it to all my planes now. I think it needs some more rudder throw and may have to cut some foam for it. I have 2200mah lipos and it seems like there is a lot of room left. I will be doing watt tests later tonight and will post them. So far there is nothing wrong with my plane.

also I ordered the plane with 3x 4cell 40c 2200mah lipos from hobbykind USA warehouse and it came out to $200 shipped. I am happy if it just flys straight just because of the price.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Jul 01, 2011, 08:37 PM
insert witty phrase here
Joined Aug 2006
380 Posts
so I got to maiden my Blue HK also known as the Starmax MX2 this evening.
it flew great right off our grass runway. i could actually fly circuits at about 1/3 throttle and it has unlimited vertical. i did program in some aileron and runner in with my throttle due to a bit a yaw and roll introduced at higher throttle.

this thing flys great!!! i'm very impressed.

cheers guys (& girls)
Brian
TooSLow2Care is online now Find More Posts by TooSLow2Care
Old Jul 02, 2011, 02:31 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Got mine up and running today. Only one brief flight before the canopy flew off. Take off was fine, probably up within 20 feet. Needed a bit of right aileron trim, but no big deal. Flew pretty good but felt heavy. Landing was a treat without the canopy. Got it down low but not too slow and it tip stalled just before I could flare. Landing was still OK but it looks like no 3 pointers with this plane. Waiting for the glue to dry for the various magnets that I'm using to secure the canopy before I give it another shot.
Old Jul 02, 2011, 04:25 PM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Well, the 2nd flight was a bit of a disaster. The hatch popped and created enough drag to cause it to snap and spin into the ground. The damage isn't too bad, but I need a new prop, and I definitely need a way to keep the hatch on. Does anyone know how to make a decent latch?
Old Jul 02, 2011, 10:12 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
i use servo arms as latches.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Old Jul 03, 2011, 06:27 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
i use servo arms as latches.

Can you post a picture of how you do it? I've seen them before but can't find any pictures of how people make them.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:31 AM
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Jan 2009
288 Posts
prop source?

I would like to try that prop on my CarbonZ. Can anyone provide a part # and ordering info? Tx JJ
JJ460 is offline Find More Posts by JJ460
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
New Landing Gear pictures :

As you can see, its dimensions correspond well. A matter which I had not planned, it is that the wheels axis is moved forward of several centimeters. It is not a problem and on the contrary that avoid the plane to fall over down on the prop during landing on bad grass landing track (I don't know how to say that in english, I hope you understand what I want to say ).
The adaptation is very easy, the LG seems to be robust even if I have not tried it in flight yet.
Last edited by Spouny; Jul 04, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 03:36 AM
Joined May 2011
75 Posts
Spouny, your English is fine: I knew immediately what you meant, so never apologise for making the effort to use a language that is not your own!

I am impressed with the landing gear. Mine has taken a beating (pilot error some of the time) but is now so weak that even a good landing leaves one of the legs (the left) pushed out to the left, so it is time for new gear for me as well.

I'd be really interested to hear how well that gear lasts; please come back with info once you have tried it! I have been trying to solve the problem of the nose tipping over on a bumoy grass landing strip as well. Taking the spats off the wheels helped a lot, but the angle of those looks good.
Luke Warmwater is offline Find More Posts by Luke Warmwater