HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:25 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
My poor old MX2 is now back together, damage isn't too noticable, except for cowl.
I have epoxied the cowl, smearing the epoxy over it, and using some fibre tape as a surface builder. But it hasn't hardened well, it was a bit cold at the time. Oh well, she'll be alright
I also had to reglue the firewall in place better, I just got a htot glue gun, jammed the nozzle through the foam until I was againt the firewall, and injected glue so that should be reasonably strong.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:42 AM
Epoxy Flyer
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
14 Posts
Mine is back together and had a few flights. Forgot how fast and fun it was when it was out of action!
NiftyRC is offline Find More Posts by NiftyRC
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:54 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Before the crash, I found mine a blast, had it setup very sweet. But it definitely feels, and proven unforgiving!
Hopefully it'll fly the same as before the crash, I was really enjoying it!
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Have you noticed that most posts are about crashes and the resulting repairs? IMHO, you are chasing a "fix" that just isn't there. It was always one thing after another so I just got rid of it. My issues were with very sloppy motor mounts that never could be made solid. When I gave it away, it was still 100%, original cowl and all. It did suffer a fuselage crack, but none of the crashes that others have had. Reinforced the landing gear, of course, since that is a very weak area .. on lots of planes. When you do get it flying, it is a gentle plane, almost to the point of no response. That bothered me. Pull back on the stick and start counting. Anyway, the folks that are doing more flying than fixing need to post up the successes!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:51 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
212 Posts
Well i`v been flying mine for about 8 months now.... No major damage crashes yet but the blackberry bushes saved it a couple of times from not being able to pull out of a flat spin.
My motor mount did loosen up after about 30 or so flights, gorilla glue seems to have fixed that....Both wheel pants just recently broke off but I'm still running original landing gear with just hot glue re-enforcement around the base where it meets the fuselage.Original aileron servos but changed out the elevator and rudder ones.Been running a turnigy trust 70amp spd controller since day one. Spinning a 14-7e prop.

Here are the things i like about the plane.....
Looks and sounds good in the sky,
Easy to tell orientation of the plane,
Loops and rolls are smooth,
Very stable inverted flight.

Here are the things i don't like about the plane..(and the reason its not my favorite)
Knife edges require a lot of elevator compensation,
Stalls and flat spins are scary to recover from (requiring lots of altitude),
Small and tough to find sweet spot for landings (either too hot or stalling),
Hovering is work and requires altitude to recover from if it falls out.

But still flying the snot out of it and loving its presents in the sky!!!

1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:12 PM
Suomi, Espoo
Joined Sep 2011
155 Posts
I also think a lot of people, like me, bought the plane for its great looks, not realizing that it's really for advanced pilots (harder to fly well than many other aerobats). It is my second plane, and one reason for all the glueing up.

Had a mishap today, noticing after oly 3.5 mins that 2250mAh 4s battery was losing power, coming in to land, but due to brisk winds ended up short of the lawn with no power left. Hit a lamp post with left tip of wing at 3m altitude, bounced past and recovered and bounced off a small tree to the ground. Amazingly, I find the plane parked perfectly on a patch of grass. Only slight cracks to wing tip and one landing gear a bit lose. Seems battery overheated, looks like a ball now... Note to self, use min 3000mAh lipos in this bird. Even 65C 2250mAh dont make it. No probs with my 3200mAh lipo.

Don, this is not due to a bad plane. I'm looking for the issue somewhere behind the Tx .
Jstjern is offline Find More Posts by Jstjern
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
Canada, BC, Gibsons
Joined Apr 2011
212 Posts
Just a couple of recent pic`s

1111Mavrick is offline Find More Posts by 1111Mavrick
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Jstjern - I never had too many issues with the way it flew, except that it sometimes had very little elevator authority. Like I said before, pull and wait. I loved the sound also, not sure why, but it did have a unique sound. The ESC burned up, the motor threw magnets, and that motor mount just didn't want to stay in place. Could it be because I replaced the 4250 motor with a 4260? The ESC had burned before that, so I did have a bigger ESC in place for the bigger motor. I just got tired of fiddling with it. I fly Extreme Flight, Great Planes, and 3DHS planes that are bigger, more powerful, and lots more delicate. No problems with wood motor boxes and metal mounts that are actually screwed into place. I don't miss the plane, but I wonder, at times, if I might have someday found the last little thing to get it all right. I'll never know. And it seems you guys are gonna try until you find it. GL
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:27 AM
Caravan driver
Lanseria airport South Africa
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
Hi there MX'ers - I am about a day away from finally giving up on a very long, hard and fruitless search for a supplier of this wonderful bird to South Africa. Everyone who lists them won't ship here - I imagine because the box is too big (although I have ordered much bigger) and those who do charge almost twice it's retail price for shipping!

I am at the point of throwing in the towel, which would be sad because I fell in love with this thing the moment I first saw her about a year and a half ago and was determined to get one, this is one of two scale foam models I have been trying to get here, the other being the beautiful Durafly Cessna 182 which I finally gave up on ever owning (although I did source the Art-Tech C182 500 size which is not quite as nice but very close in scale detailing and accuracy).

I thought before I give up I would try one more thing, would any of you who own the MX2 or who have easy access be willing to box up and send to me? I have searched so long and am so desperate I would make it worthwhile and it needn't cost you more than the effort of shipping a parcel.

At this point I would even consider a damaged model - I read in here how some of you are sick of this thing ....blows my mind but perhaps this would be a good way to get rid of the thing to buy something 'better' ?

If anyone is willing to help out please let me know, for me right now this would be the ultimate prize ...you have no idea how much I want one!
wingnutzster is offline Find More Posts by wingnutzster
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:09 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
^Wow, they aren't that great to own, many many much better flying aircraft than this, this flies ok, but not great.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:19 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
...I know but it looks right, I haven't found an MX model that looks as good as this one and as a total MX nut I just had to have one. As for the few niggles I am quite confident I can fix them starting with replacing the gear with still scale looking but more substantial legs and spats, I will have a look at the motor mount and possibly replace the drive with a more reliable setup. With a Futaba radio I don't expect any unreliability either.

For me first prize is that it must look right, and this MX is properly proportioned and has the 'MX look' about her. It is an easy enough design to scratch build and I thought I may end up doing that if I can't get hold of one of these but truth is I just don't have the time.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:02 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutzster View Post
...I know but it looks right, I haven't found an MX model that looks as good as this one and as a total MX nut I just had to have one. As for the few niggles I am quite confident I can fix them starting with replacing the gear with still scale looking but more substantial legs and spats, I will have a look at the motor mount and possibly replace the drive with a more reliable setup. With a Futaba radio I don't expect any unreliability either.

For me first prize is that it must look right, and this MX is properly proportioned and has the 'MX look' about her. It is an easy enough design to scratch build and I thought I may end up doing that if I can't get hold of one of these but truth is I just don't have the time.
Ok fair enough, being an MX enthusiast makes more sense

The main niggles can be fixed, but in the end the plane just isn't a great flyer, can be nice but not great. It's quite heavy (I think mine is 2-2.5kg with lipo) and drops a wing easy. Does normal (non 3D) aero's well, and does a really nice knife edge.
But don't let me deter you though, it does look nice for a foamie.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:30 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
I haven't even found a composite or balsa MX that looks as good in terms of scale profile and proportion. They all seem to stray slightly from the perfection that is the full size outline. If I could find even the airframe only, tried even ordering one part of the airframe at a time from the 'spares' from HK but they wont ship it here at all.

Hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of my passion, perhaps you will see why I love the type so much...

One of our most celebrated aviators here in SA is Nigel Hopkins, he and his teammate (who both compete in world events) recently acquired the only MX2's in South Africa and formed the amazing 'MXtreme Aerobatics' and 'Team Xtreme' international aerobatic team.

Nigel puts on a mind blowing display that is truly world class with his remarkable and beautiful machine. He previously flew Extra's and Pitts but has totally come alive in the MX. He is sponsored by my local hobby retailer too (Aerial Concepts in Johannesburg).

Saw him perform just a few days ago in fact, goosebumps every time!! As a fan of the MX and a long time fan of Nigel's, his routine is always the highlight of any airshow for me.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
Caravan driver
Joined Oct 2005
408 Posts
...excuse my enthusiasm - here's an awesome video - MX2 v Spitfire!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZeV13PdJzlw
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:59 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
^Thanks for the links, pics and info, I enjoyed reading / watching