HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
New Product
BlitzRCWorks Giant MX2

Just thought I would start something on this new plane. Its also the starmax giant mx2. It seem like a great price even from banannahobby. I have ordered one and will let you guys know how it turns out.

http://www.bananahobby.com/2156.html

Just some things to note from the pictures and info

it has a 3 blade 12x9 prop wich is kinda wierd but cool looking. No doubt a 2 blade is better for performance.
It says the servos are only 9gram so I am thinking I will swap out the elevator and rudder for some larger hobbyking metal gear servos.
bigwood212 is offline Find More Posts by bigwood212
Last edited by bigwood212; Apr 14, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:43 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Well...

At least it isn't advertised as beginner friendly..

Also, tail wheels often have springs to dampen the shock from sudden jerks on the wheel. Definitely can keep from stripping a servo. Oh, and 9g for a 74oz aerobatic/3D airplane? No fricken way. You'll need something more like HS82MG's or HS225's.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,134 Posts
Wow! Nice paint job on it. How does the wing loading look? 50 g/dm squared doesn't mean much to me.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:04 AM
Crash & Burn
Glastonbury, CT
Joined Nov 2004
2,502 Posts
Wow, nice looking plane at a great price. Sure would like to see some video and a flight report, but I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this one without them.
rmgmag is offline Find More Posts by rmgmag
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:40 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
123 Posts
Just ordered one..
Could NOT pass up that price even AFTER installing new HiTec servos !!!
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:01 AM
Joined Sep 2007
39 Posts
Anyone know if there are any vids out there on this? I could only find one one on YouTube. I know the banana hobby guys did one of the st mx2 wonder if they are gonna post one. Plane does look awesome !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hduk is offline Find More Posts by hduk
Old Apr 16, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt and Sage View Post
Just ordered one..
Could NOT pass up that price even AFTER installing new HiTec servos !!!
I agree. Its a good price even if we have to change a few things. Large full fuse foam planes are not very common in this price range. I was going to get an eflite carbon z yak for $299 and from what I have read everyone is having to replace the servos! Its also a lot smaller.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:30 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
I agree. Its a good price even if we have to change a few things. Large full fuse foam planes are not very common in this price range. I was going to get an eflite carbon z yak for $299 and from what I have read everyone is having to replace the servos! Its also a lot smaller.
Hi Bigwood,

Do Not bother with the CZ Yak as I have had to replace ALL the servos
with Hi Tec 82mgs and the motor mount and prop...
So the $300.00 turns into a $425.00 + Plug and Play and alot of work
After ALL of this, it IS NOT a good 3D plane if that is what ypur are looking for..
Walt
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:52 PM
Joined Nov 2007
870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt and Sage View Post
Hi Bigwood,

Do Not bother with the CZ Yak as I have had to replace ALL the servos
with Hi Tec 82mgs and the motor mount and prop...
So the $300.00 turns into a $425.00 + Plug and Play and alot of work
After ALL of this, it IS NOT a good 3D plane if that is what ypur are looking for..
Walt
Yea I was reading about all the problem people are having with it. And for the price it should come perfect. I was going to get that plane but now I am trying this one out.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:09 AM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Mine arrived last night and initial impressions were good. The EPO construction is strong and the servos are definitely bigger/more powerful than regular 9G's. The motor is big and has a ton of pull. I like the unique 3-blade prop and the overall scale of the plane is very good. Colors are a bit flamboyant for my taste, but this thing should stand out in the sky!

Bad- The tailwheel design is interesting, but quite confusing and the instructions don't illuminate much there. Also, the rudder hinges are terrible. I'll be replacing those with some Robarts. My ESC arrived only 2/3 plugged in, so I had to remove the cowl to get everything hooked up properly - This is where I learned just how awful the paint is... It will flake if you speak to it harshly. I was gentle as a lamb while removing and replacing the cowl, but it now looks as if I hacked it open with a chainsaw.

The screw attachments for everything are very convenient, but with only one screw for each wing I have some doubts about it's ability to hold up. The instructions do say to epoxy everything in place if you plan to "fly crazy". Aren't aerobatic airframes designed to "fly crazy?"

Winds will likely be out of limits out here for some time to come, but I'll be sure to update once I get this thing flight ready/airborne.
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Last edited by Roswalt; Apr 19, 2011 at 08:21 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
Clear Lake near NASA
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2010
83 Posts
Do you think there is any saving the paint job from comming off, like a thin clear spray of enamel?

It would be nice to get a bit less shipping price than the $30 they charge - anyone know a coupon code?

thanks
Sniperone is offline Find More Posts by Sniperone
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:52 PM
AMA# 957918
USA, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2011
91 Posts
My MX2

Unboxed and built my new foamie, a BlitzRCWorks MX2 Pro Aerobatic! Looking forward to her maiden if the wind ever dies down!

http://pretorian435.blogspot.com/201...2-unboxed.html

http://pretorian435.blogspot.com/2011/04/mx2-build.html
Pretorian435 is offline Find More Posts by Pretorian435
Old Apr 21, 2011, 02:12 PM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,308 Posts
Nice job on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretorian435 View Post
Unboxed and built my new foamie, a BlitzRCWorks MX2 Pro Aerobatic! Looking forward to her maiden if the wind ever dies down!

http://pretorian435.blogspot.com/201...2-unboxed.html

http://pretorian435.blogspot.com/2011/04/mx2-build.html
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:33 PM
Capt, USAF
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Feb 2009
922 Posts
Does anybody else think that the battery may actually go in the forward section closest to the motor? It seems like a natural cutout at the rear, but that seems a little on the small side for a 3000mah batt, and creates a nasty tail-heavy CoG.

Other sites that are selling this model overseas suggest a 2200 4S, so maybe that would work there. I'm contemplating flying it with a 2200 in the forward cavity, secured with velcro. Any opinions? Photos are scarce right now....
Roswalt is offline Find More Posts by Roswalt
Old Apr 21, 2011, 07:39 PM
AMA# 957918
USA, MS, Biloxi
Joined Feb 2011
91 Posts
No, you can't tell from the pics, but thats where the front tab for the canopy. You might be able to squeeze it up between were I put my reciever, but you'll need to cut foam. It looks like its designed for the battery to go just in front of the servos. A 2200 would fit there I think. I'm flying 3300s because I can also use them in my 500 size heli. Even with it pushed forward the MX2 is way tail heavy. I haven't solved that problem yet but I may have to really get the battery even more forward. I may have to try to get that damn cowl off to see what's up there. Tomorrow I'll post a pic with my 4S 3300 in place for scale.

@creapyd: thanks!
Pretorian435 is offline Find More Posts by Pretorian435
Last edited by Pretorian435; Apr 21, 2011 at 07:57 PM.