HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 01, 2011, 04:42 PM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Astro Hog..there's another on my build list..
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:41 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Sorry guys, but ran into a guy here in town who is now in his 70's and has been an avid flyer all his life. I bought another Hog from him and mentioned that I had this old one, he knew about it right off. He said he knew the builder and that no, it wasn't a scratch kit and yes it's a Dmeco made plane. He knew what hobby shop I bought it from 26 years ago without me telling him. By the way the builder wasn't my dad.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut
Old Jun 02, 2011, 09:08 PM
United States, GA, Gainesville
Joined Aug 2008
53 Posts
"By the way, your dad did a nice job on that Hog. It's been around a long while. I had forgotten about the orange wheels, I think they were by Bonner."

Those wheels were were made by a medical supply house. They are called pessaries (sp) and were available from larger drug stores. Les Fruh among others furnished complete wheels with the redish/orange color which were purchased from the same manufacturer that furnished them to the medical field. Later they were changed to the black color when the volume justified a separate production run. Those interested in what they were used for in the medical field can try asking their wife or girlfriend.
acrorc is offline Find More Posts by acrorc
Old Jun 03, 2011, 09:57 AM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I am having troubles with the earlier noted PDFtype files. Two of which look to be from the 1957 article, and the third flat will not open up. Gives error mesages instead. (I have the original article, and is in TIF format now)

The third noted Dunn read em' article of low K count seems not to open up. Can this be reloaded and resaved?

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:20 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
yes it's a Dmeco made plane.
Sorry Cherokeenut, I'm still not convinced. Until proved otherwise, I think your elderly friend is wrong and has possibly confused Dmeco with Berkeley

Quote:
Those interested in what they were used for in the medical field can try asking their wife or girlfriend.
Acrorc - I did and I now wish I hadn't

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 04, 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 03, 2011, 10:36 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
906 Posts
My old magazines have Berkeley ads for the Astro Hog. Lots of old Dmeco/Livewire ads too...no Astro Hogs in those. Hal kitted almost entirely his own designs (I think the Perigee was the only exception) and he had a couple of low wingers about that time that would have been direct competitors of the Astro Hog, like the Crusader. For a time he made radio gear under the Dmeco label. That's probably the reason for the decal. Jim
buzzard bait is offline Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old Jun 04, 2011, 12:44 PM
Napa, CA
Joined May 2007
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrorc View Post

Those wheels were were made by a medical supply house. They are called pessaries (sp) and were available from larger drug stores.
I too looked it up and found a "Pessary" store: $39.95 for one 1.25" dia wheel! They must be darn good wheel for that price!
tri-pacer is offline Find More Posts by tri-pacer
Old Jun 04, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Jul 2005
1,872 Posts
I used to communicate with Hal DeBolt to within one month before he died in Florida. Zero mention of the Astro-Hog in his inventory. I also have a few of his never kitted projects here of the era 1965 to 1948. He had a few alternate names for kitted projects, but nothing along the lines of an Astro-hog. The question ought to be noted at SAM Talk for many of the members there are of the era.

Wm.
coosbaylumber is offline Find More Posts by coosbaylumber
Old Jun 04, 2011, 05:26 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Have to agree with Edubarca- I've never seen any documentary evidence of a deBolt Astro Hog kit.

Ray
Hi Ray;

DeBolt only made his own design kits, as far as I know. Berkeley's policy was contracting the most important modellers of that time (Dunn, McGovern, Struck, Musciano, Del Gatto, Saftig etc.) to design and prepare the plans for the kits they engineered. There were, however some of the first Berkeley kits designed by Bill Effinger, Berkeley's founder and owner.

Greetings!!

Eduardo
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 04, 2011, 06:06 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,554 Posts
Quote:
DeBolt only made his own design kits
Not strictly true Eduardo. As buzzard bait says, Hal did once produce (1963) a kit for Tom Brett's Perigee - but never (AFAIK) an Astro Hog

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 04, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 10:02 AM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Not strictly true Eduardo. As buzzard bait says, Hal did once produce (1963) a kit for Tom Brett's Perigee - but never (AFAIK) an Astro Hog

Ray
Hello RFJ, Yes you are absolutely right. I had forgot this model made by DeBolt. And as for the Astro, that I'm sure. Only Berkeley made the original design and then SIG made a kit but with many modifications.
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jun 06, 2011, 04:06 PM
United States, CO, Dacono
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard bait View Post
My old magazines have Berkeley ads for the Astro Hog. Lots of old Dmeco/Livewire ads too...no Astro Hogs in those. Hal kitted almost entirely his own designs (I think the Perigee was the only exception) and he had a couple of low wingers about that time that would have been direct competitors of the Astro Hog, like the Crusader. For a time he made radio gear under the Dmeco label. That's probably the reason for the decal. Jim
Ok now there's a theory I might buy. I talked to Art yesterday when I saw him and he did the look in the sky thing and said I bet that's what happened, it's a Berkely kit with a Dmeco decal for the radio. However, the inside of the hog looks to have had a Bonnor system originaly so who knows.
cherokeenut is offline Find More Posts by cherokeenut