HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Discussion
Good or Bad idea or a waste of money

I don't like it and feel it's a waste of tax payers money at a time when un-nesessary spending needs to be kept to a real minimum. People are still defaulting on their property taxes, losing their jobs or getting a job that pays 1/2 of what they use to make. If you read further on that news site you'll find 2 papermills just closed up laying off some 300 employees. This superintendent scares me. He's a creep in my opinion. He says: "It's for the children"...

To make a "productive citizen" is like building a house. Put a soft foundation under it and you'll have problems later on down the road. Though, new technology is important. There's to much dependency on it. A 5yr old kid doesn't "need" this device. I feel we've let our Liberial based public education system put computers ahead of the "basic knowledge" of knowing how to do something by hand. Computers break, batteries go dead , the power goes out. I'm noticing that when a device is taken away , alot of or young people are LOST. Is this what you'd call a good foundation?

We're on our kids to get exercise and we're placing electronic devices in their hands to play with...--Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

I would suggest we look at "Chinas school system" because we're falling behind. I wonder if Chinas system puts electronic devices in their students hands and when.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article/15...uburn-teachers
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Last edited by jumpinjo; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,009 Posts
For me, the long term value of any device is whether you can fix it yourself when it breaks. If not, you're dependant.
The iPads are neat, but they're just candy. It's a lazy way to offer the basics of education. Smacks of "feel good" education and Corporatism.

I wonder if the iPads are colored green?
David A Ramsey is online now Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Ramsey View Post
Auburn, apparently. No. Wait. That's the teachers...
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:25 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
For me, the long term value of any device is whether you can fix it yourself when it breaks. If not, you're dependant.
The iPads are neat, but they're just candy. It's a lazy way to offer the basics of education. Smacks of "feel good" education and Corporatism.

I bet the taxpayers of Lewiston/Auburn are just "tickled", esspecially, when their property taxes goes up $250 dollars next year.

And yes its a "lazy way of the teachers" not to have to manually teach. 10 yrs ago the schools tried "pushing" ADD drugs like: ridlelin on "all the kids" Said it would help the kids pay better attention. Alot of parents fell victim to this lie, until they saw the side effects of it on kids that don't need it!
Last edited by jumpinjo; Apr 13, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:39 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjo View Post
I bet the taxpayers of Lewiston/Auburn are just "tickled", esspecially, when their property taxes goes up $250 dollars next year.

And yes its a "lazy way of the teachers" not to have to manually teach. 10 yrs ago the schools tried "pushing" ADD drugs like: ridlelin on "all the kids" Said it would help the kids pay better attention. Alot of parents fell victim to this lie, until they saw the side effects of it on kids that don't need it!
The schools were dispensing drugs to their students? All of them?

Wow - your school district is quite a bit different than ours. Or maybe it's just your understanding......
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:48 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,976 Posts
Quote:

David, I have felt, and still feel that way about computers. If you cannot fix them and maintain the network, you are at the mercy of vendors. Not a good place to be. Save us a ton of money every year. Personally, I put close to $35,000 into computer, printers, and software before I ever bought the first one for the library. It has paid big dividends, over and over again. The router speak took a little time, but that all worked out also.

So put me on the I agree list.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:56 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
288 Posts
"the schools were dispensing drugs to their students? All of them?"
Any behavior problem with males.
Ritalin Pffffft
They were recommending that parents take their child to professionals that would.
Been there done that ,and got to play the I told you so card,when it finally stopped.
The risk to my child long term wasn't even factored into it.

Big pharma can kiss my right after the teachers that bought their BS and pushed it on the parents.

Oh and wait until your child grows up and try's to enlist in the service for even more BS
debogus is offline Find More Posts by debogus
Last edited by debogus; Apr 13, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:59 PM
New Jersey, USA
Joined May 2003
2,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LcJ View Post
So put me on the I agree list.
Just wondering about electronic advances .... Ya think they'll come out with Coffins supplied with entertainment options?
David A Ramsey is online now Find More Posts by David A Ramsey
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalFlyer View Post
The schools were dispensing drugs to their students? All of them?

Wow - your school district is quite a bit different than ours. Or maybe it's just your understanding......

The schools in fact were pushing parents to go to their doctor and inquire if their child had AHAD or ADD. I got in a big confrontation with my sons mother over this, because she wanted to try it on him. I guess she figured it was a behavoral Med. It"s designed to mellow the kid out. It's side effects are what they call a TICK.( rapid twiching of the face) Its a serious short circut of the brain that can be very dangerious and permanit. What most kids have in school is a SELECTIVE ATTENTION SPAND. So now, they'll just give them a electronic device and tell them to go play.

This drug is probally fine for people who actually have ADD. I dare to say 70% of the population doesn't have it.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Although I had a computer the last few years, I managed to retire without ever being connected to the university Internet. I talk with colleagues and read blogs by people in higher education, and I am so glad I made it out when I did. Things are really different now, and seem to be much worse than when I retired in 1997.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Although I had a computer the last few years, I managed to retire without ever being connected to the university Internet. I talk with colleagues and read blogs by people in higher education, and I am so glad I made it out when I did. Things are really different now, and seem to be much worse than when I retired in 1997.
Different stroke for different folk wish I had another good 150 years to go...Might get to see the first of the Wet Wires become trendy in the next 10 years.

As for the children I see nothing wrong with it and I think it's a great Idea becuase this is there future.

Btw my two year old can Google...Airplane, Jet ,tractor this is his fave he even scrolls and plays the Cgi vid
.http://yeinjee.com/discovery/strange-russian-tractor/
aerogel is offline Find More Posts by aerogel
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:49 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel View Post
Different stroke for different folk wish I had another good 150 years to go...Might get to see the first of the Wet Wires become trendy in the next 10 years.

As for the children I see nothing wrong with it and I think it's a great Idea becuase this is there future.

Btw my two year old can Google...Airplane, Jet ,tractor this is his fave he even scrolls and plays the Cgi vid
.http://yeinjee.com/discovery/strange-russian-tractor/

Try taking away that device and ask him to write and spell airplane.
What happens is they can't function without one.

I'm totally against it.

Besides, Here's another reason:, why should "others hard earned tax dollars" pay for your kids "electronic toy"!!!.... If you want him to have one, do everyone else a favor and go buy him one "yourself"...
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Try taking away that device and ask him to write and spell airplane.
What happens is they can't function without one.

I'm totally against it.

Besides, Here's another reason:, why should "others hard earned tax dollars" pay for your kids "electronic toy"!!!.... If you want him to have one, do everyone else a favor and go buy him one "yourself"...
He can spell airplane and draw them to can't write it yet I leave this to the my better half the english major.
Right now all he says is I want to be a pilot.

There Simply needs to be a balance would you not agree?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the Fish!
Land of cajuns
Joined Dec 2001
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Well that’s the rub Public Education....It's something that has been on my mine for the last year private school or public....Because of political reason his grandfather wants him to go public...but me I'm leaning more towards a Catholic Private School.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:21 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerogel View Post
He can spell airplane and draw them to can't write it yet I leave this to the my better half the english major.
Right now all he says is I want to be a pilot.

There Simply needs to be a balance would you not agree?

Yes, but Basics should always come first. "You can't run before you learn to walk"..

I still suggest we look at what china's doing with their education and how their teaching it. I wonder when they introduce electronics and teach their students how to use them.

I watched my son when Maine schools bought every student a laptop in 7th grade use it as a social toy more than a learning tool. I don't mind giving our kids what they absolutely need to learn. Pampering and spoiling them isn't giving them what they need.

For one thing, those students should of had to turn the laptop in at the end of the school year, so the next group could use them.