Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:20 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkfpv View Post

Feature:
1:10Hz super sense GPS, with backup battery ,3D Fix led indicator.
2: PAL/NTSC compatible
3: 60A current sensor.
4: ultra-light : 22.5 gram
5: RSSI Auto detected.
6: Auto “Setting Home”

OSD measures:
Speed | Altitude | Distance
Return Home Arrow
GPS signal
Power battery voltage
Power battery current
mAh consumed

It support two type of display mode.
Simple Mode

F16 Mode

OSD package includes:
(1) Skylark Tiny OSD
(1) Skylark 10Hz GPS
(1) 60A Current sensor
(1) 200mm male to male servo wires

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZnv7B3349s

Skylark Tiny OSD User Manual
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-t...Fc3TTZwcW1mN1k

Follow Me on Twitter @SkylarkFPV
http://twitter.com/SkylarkFPV
--------------------------------------------

I'm preparing myself to get my tiny osd set up, and am a bit confused.

Even though most refer to this unit as "plug and play" I understand that I will have to cut wires, and solder things together to make this work. The diagram in the quoted post makes sense. However, the instructions that follow my unit are different.
In the instructions there is a diagram with 2 wires going from the camera (all would normally have 3 wires right ?). Only one wire (GND) is cut and connected to the tiny osd-board on the diagram. The video in and video out pins are left unused.
Can this be correct, or should I rather trust the diagram I quoted in this post ?

Another question is about the colors of the wires. If I have to connect video in/out, will that be the white wire from the camera ? While black is ground(GND means ground right ???)

Sorry for being such a newbie, been trying to read up on all this, just want to make sure I've got it right before cutting wires and doing irreversible things here..
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:55 AM
Master on breaking props
España, Comunidad de Madrid, Madrid
Joined Nov 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber1 View Post
However, the instructions that follow my unit are different.
In the instructions there is a diagram with 2 wires going from the camera (all would normally have 3 wires right .
Please check the instruction sheet you again. if possible, do it somewhere with better lighting. Yellow color becomes a very light gray on B/W, actually there are three wires, it´s the same diagram.The print quality of the instruction sheet can be greatly improved, and I think Skylark should do it..
Manolo_B is offline Find More Posts by Manolo_B
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:12 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
The biggest thing to note is that you need 5V and 12V (+) power. If you use RED wires for both, mark them and don't get them mixed up (like I did) or bad things will happen.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo_B View Post
Please check the instruction sheet you again. if possible, do it somewhere with better lighting. Yellow color becomes a very light gray on B/W, actually there are three wires, it´s the same diagram.The print quality of the instruction sheet can be greatly improved, and I think Skylark should do it..
--------
Thanks, you're quite right, after really waking up, and seeing the instruction in better light, there are 3 wires !

Would it be safe to assume that the colors on the wires are standard, indicating red-power, black-ground, and white/yellow for video ?
This is the camera/tx I'm using:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16459

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, hopefully I will get this stuff connected without blowing it up.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:39 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Would it be safe to assume that the colors on the wires are standard, indicating red-power, black-ground, and white/yellow for video ?
Yes, just keep the 12V red and 5V red separate. I would put little labels on them. I knew what was what and still managed to get a couple mixed up, and that made that bad electrical smoke and ruined my day. The next time I made little labels.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder View Post
Yes, just keep the 12V red and 5V red separate. I would put little labels on them. I knew what was what and still managed to get a couple mixed up, and that made that bad electrical smoke and ruined my day. The next time I made little labels.
-------
Thanks for the warning, tested now and it seems to work, because I'm inside I get the "gps signal weak" but that's ok I suppose.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:17 PM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,167 Posts
I wanted to confirm something I was seeing with my Tiny 3. With all connections made with a 12v video system and current sensor connected to 3S lipo... If the OSD is not powered with a 5v input, it will not pass any video through even if the camera and tx are on? Black/gray screen (no static) on Rx side?
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:46 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I wanted to confirm something I was seeing with my Tiny 3. With all connections made with a 12v video system and current sensor connected to 3S lipo... If the OSD is not powered with a 5v input, it will not pass any video through even if the camera and tx are on? Black/gray screen (no static) on Rx side?
Correct, it's looking for an RSSI input--without it, it's blank. Just run a Futuba servo line from your Rx to the board. I have/use two for the Tiny 3's--I like the simple screen. If your running Windows 7 the setup can be a little confusing. Might have to run it in the XP compatability mode. I connect mine manually on com port 1. There is a thread over in FPVLab for the Skylark.
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
I recently bought two SkyLark Tiny OSD III and are very pleased with them.

But I have one problem: I can't get any RSSI from my FrSky recievers. I have the FrSKY V8R7-SP ACCST 7 Channel RX and the FrSky V8FR-II 2.4Ghz 8CH Receiver (HV).

The V8R7-SP has 7 channels and number 8 says "B/P".

Would it be possible for med to get RSSI that is compatible with the Skylark Tiny OSD III from any of those?

And if not, will the RSSI from these FrSky-modules work on the Tiny OSD:
FrSky D8R-XP or FrSky D4R-II?

It will be a waste of money if I buy the two receivers mentioned if:
1. I can get RSSI from the ones I have
or
2. The two new I have mentioned will not deliver RSSI that is compatible with Skylark...
eirikso is offline Find More Posts by eirikso
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:45 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
I don't think it is possible to get RSSI out of the V8R7SP that will work on the Skylark but I might be wrong. I had a V8R7SP but changed it out for a D8R-XP. You cannot get RSSI out of the D8R-XP either without a special digital to analog converter. The RSSI that the RX makes is not directly suitable for the Skylark or any OSD for that matter; it is only for the Frsky Telemetry. Luckily, someone makes a special converter.

I know it is possible to get RSSI from the D8R-XP if you purchase the RSSI-DAC converter available on Ebay from a fellow in Hungary. Basically you will need to purchase this circuit board which plugs into the D8R-XP. Search Ebay and you will find it. It will take 2 or 3 weeks to get it. You will need to purchase a USB cable from HK or Aloft Hobbies that will allow you to "reflash" the D8R-XP. The software is linked on the Ebay site. Then you plug in the DAC converter and get analog RSSI which works perfectly with the Skylark Tiny III. It was a bit of a stuggle assembling all the components and figuring out how to do the reflash but it works great.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2011
234 Posts
Thank you for a very good answer. So, if I want RSSI I need to buy a new FrSky receiver, a USB programmer for FrSky and a converter for the signal.

How about this LED-blink->to->RSSI-mod?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=7
http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....l=1#post150164

Anyone else that have tried something similar?
eirikso is offline Find More Posts by eirikso
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:27 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,956 Posts
Well yes, unless you:

Wait till Frsky comes out with an RX that outputs RSSI that is useful, which I suspect the will sometime but I didn't want to wait, or

Have the time and skills to try one of those adaptations you linked, which I looked at and concluded I would probably wind up destroying my V8R7SP trying to convert it as I have no electronic skills and am not sure I could do that type of soldering either.

I figured I could always use my two V8R7SP's on something else that didn't need RSSI, that the D8R-XP was pretty inexpensive, and the the RSSI DAC converter wasn't all that expensive either and it would get me in the game sooner rather than later. The USB cable thinging is pretty cheap too. Aloft Hobbies is a good source. I am actually surprised it really works, and it is nice seeing the RSSI in my Goggles.

This thing just plugs into the port on the side of the D8R-XP (or D8RII plus):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
Last edited by u2builder; Feb 03, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:39 AM
Pat K
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
I am sorry to ask such basic questions but there is so much confusion between Tiny OSD II and Tiny OSD III and their related software/firmware that I can't find a clear answer in the previous pages:
Will the Tiny OSD II work with the firmware V2.8?
Is the Software V3.5 compatible with Tiny OSD II?
I would like to collect a digital RSSI signal (PWM) which is not currently supported by the Tiny OSD II.

Solved: Tiny OSD II becomes Tiny OSD III with the firmware upgrade and works perfectly...
Papat is offline Find More Posts by Papat
Last edited by Papat; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Solved: Tiny OSD II becomes Tiny OSD III with the firmware upgrade
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:06 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
Joined Sep 2001
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird View Post
Correct, it's looking for an RSSI input--without it, it's blank. Just run a Futuba servo line from your Rx to the board. I have/use two for the Tiny 3's--I like the simple screen. If your running Windows 7 the setup can be a little confusing. Might have to run it in the XP compatability mode. I connect mine manually on com port 1. There is a thread over in FPVLab for the Skylark.
I guess what I was trying to say is I think the Tiny 3 will not pass the video from the camera through to be transmitted if the OSD board is not receiving 5V power. In my case that was coming in from the Rx on the RSSI line. Example:

- Rx on with no Tx = Static
- Tx/Rx on but no power to OSD = Black screen
- Tx/Rx on and 5V to OSD = Video Signal from camera

This leads me to believe that if I loose power to the Tiny or it goes out in flight means no video!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:17 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
Joined Sep 2001
6,167 Posts
Does the GRD wire on the video connection really need to be tied to the camera and tx 12V source? If the RSSI line coming in is powering the OSD from the Rx and the RX is on a UBEC pulling from the battery, then is there a ground loop?

I am using a single battery with a filter voltage regulator powering the 12v video gear. UBEC is pulling from the same battery.