SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Joined Jun 2010
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkfpv View Post
1. Connect battery with OSD(current sensor)
2. Connect OSD with Configration Tool
3. Measuring the battery voltage by multimeter
4. Type the voltage value in [voltage calibrate], then click set button
Yeah that would be awesome if I could see that button and click it in the software...the RSSI calibration too.
squishy654 is online now Find More Posts by squishy654
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:42 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,471 Posts
Thought you guys might enjoy seeing the Tiny OSD with my new Sony TVl 600 cam, nice picture and data! I still need to reprogram voltage for 4S, but it was too nice outside to fool around with it first! 65degrees and 3 mph winds yesterday!

FPV_December 12, 2012 (6 min 19 sec)
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
640 Posts
bump for the best value in an OSD on the market, I have two of these on my multirotors and love them
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:52 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
+1. Very nice little unit, simple, light, easy to read display. Decent baro altimeter and pretty darn good GPS.

Wish it had a "multirotor" summary screen trigger option that would require a longer time at zero speed before it popped up and wish the software had fewer glitches but other than that you can't beat it.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:56 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
I still need to reprogram voltage for 4S, but it was too nice outside to fool around with it first!
Yeah, I need to "calibrate" my voltage and mAh stuff. It is within 10% but I could probably do better. The thing is I don't want to "fool around with it" either. I think I am going to wait until Skylark upgrades the software and just enjoy flying right now. I am afraid of making things worse rather than better.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,471 Posts
U2: Yea, I agree with the pop-up summery. It pops up a bot too often, but I've gotten used to it. I do need to calibrate my voltage to 16.8v, so it shows 14.5v and not 11.5 when I need to land. I think for the price this OSD is great! I'd be interested to know how I could monitor just voltage and dispense with the big current measure device. I guess I could "hack" it because I'm using 5.5mm bullets on my Quad (not xt60).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:46 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
U2: Yea, I agree with the pop-up summery. It pops up a bot too often
Yes, it does but I guess it keeps me from lollygagging around. With a quad it is pretty easy to kind of relax on the elevator and come to a near standstill. Because I don't want the darn summary to pop of I tend to keep a better eye on the speed and kept some pedal to the metal.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined May 2012
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylarkfpv View Post
1. Connect battery with OSD(current sensor)
2. Connect OSD with Configration Tool
3. Measuring the battery voltage by multimeter
4. Type the voltage value in [voltage calibrate], then click set button
I've done all of this and still net poor results, the voltage drops as soon as my bird takes flight. It's giving me false voltage readings. I was at 11.61v when I landed instead of the 10.9 the OSD suggested.

Skylark osd voltage test (0 min 0 sec)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:13 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
It it possible to get a current sensor that takes more A, as i want to use this for fpv flying on my quadcopter with 4x25a escs it it possible?
sorry for noob question what is RSSI
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Quote:
It it possible to get a current sensor that takes more A, as i want to use this for fpv flying on my quadcopter with 4x25a escs it it possible?
sorry for noob question what is RSSI
Chances are your quad does not draw 60 amps even though your ESC's are rated at 100 total. I know my quad draws around 20amps or so to hover. You can see in the video posted just above that that quad is drawing about 27A. I don't know what it would be at full power, but I think 60 amp of the Skylark is fine.

I think RSSI means Receiver Signal Strength Indication or something like that. It is an indication of the strength of the signal that your receiver has and tells you when it is getting low and you need to turn back. Not all receivers provide RSSI and in fact I think only a few provide it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined May 2012
640 Posts
The work of lift is split amongst the 4 motors/escs so the 27amps I'm flying at is accurate, the voltage reading is not. I have 4x30amp escs but that doesen't mean i'm ever going to draw 120 amps, would be a 30 second flight.I max out at about 45amps at WOT,The skylark osd has a 60a current sensor so it should work just fine.

rssi is like the "bars" on your cellphone, the higher the voltage reading or %(depending on the osd) the better the strength.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:56 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,471 Posts
Jengaleng: Not sure but you calibrated to 12.2 and you start voltage was 12.4 (standard fully charged 3S). I can also tell you that your voltage will often go up about 0.5 v as soon as you land, and take the load off. Both my larger Quads, the MK and the Naza 550 do this on my 4S batteris. That would account for the 0.7v?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
United States, NC, Fuquay-Varina
Joined Oct 2008
20 Posts
I need help setting up skylard osd III

hello i need help setting this skylark osd III up. I am a visual learner so te diagram doesnt really do much for me. I am running a immersion rc 600mw tx and a 5v camera can someone, anyone take a picture of how they have the actual osd wired up? i am confused with the where the video, cam, and ground wires go on the Tx. please help, pictures would be great thanks!
reconxvi81 is online now Find More Posts by reconxvi81
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:48 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,471 Posts
recon: well.. a diagram is visual. lol Look carefully at the PDF. The video goes to video transmitter (video in, of course), and the cam goes to video output from the camera. The ground goes to the the camera AND the Vtx. RSSI goes to your servo signal output. 5v and ground also comes from the servo. It is a 3 wire servo plug with the 5v in the middle so if you hook it up upside down no harm done.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:37 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Recon, as Gary said, look at the diagram that comes with the Immersion and also with the Skylark. Basically you are going to have a yellow, red (5V) (if you have a 5V camera as you say) and black wire on your camera. You are going to need to power your Immersion with red (12V) and black from your flight pack or a separate 3S battery. The immersion comes with a 2 wire red/black lead for this purpose. Then the Immersion has another cable with red (5V), black, green, white and yellow. You will not use the white and green unless you need audio. Connect the 5V red wire to your red camera lead and also to the red 5V power inputs to the Skylark. Connect the black wire to the black wire on both. The immersion is your 5V power source.

Connect the yellow on the immersion to the video of the Skylark. Connect the yellow on your camera to the Cam on the Skylark.

All the black Ground wires connect together and go the the black neg of your 12V power source.

Do NOT connect the red 5V and the red 12V or in any way get them mixed up or you will fry you immersion and/or your Skylark! I would label the two reds so you know which is which. I didn't and got them mixed up and fried my $70 Immersion.

You typically will make the leads from standard white/red/black servo extensions.