HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:18 PM
Do it once, do it right
New Zealand
Joined Jan 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glmccready View Post
I've had no trouble getting my software to run in XP mode on both my Win7 64bits machines. The instructions are not too clear on how to do the "calibration". I do get errrors but only with writing certain settings to the OSD: These include "flight sumurize" and "voltage". I've tried powering the OSD with only the USB and with the battery and rssi connected. Couldn't even get "unit select" to work today, but have in the past, and did set it to imperial mph. Not sure what the voltage is supposed to be set on anyway? I'm using a 4s battery os it is 16.8v topped off or 14.5v when I want to land?
I found if you run it as an administrator it works.
mrrf900 is offline Find More Posts by mrrf900
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Mar 2009
256 Posts
So I got my OSD III in, the Deans swapped for EC-3, but now looking for documentation. Specifically I'm trying to figure out what the DC acceptance is for the board. I see that it takes up to 6S, but presume that's for the OSD data, but where to power it? Also, I see zero on use of the USB interface.

I also looked at http://www.skylarkfpv.com, but it appears to be down for the holidays ??
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:15 PM
Gary
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
You power the board through a servo wire, 5v, from the Rx or from the USB, either will work. Of course you need the wire from the Rx to measure the RSSI, but I'm not really sure how to set that up, never really messed with it. The video connectors are only ground and video signal(in and out)
glmccready is online now Find More Posts by glmccready
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Mar 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
You power the board through a servo wire, 5v, from the Rx or from the USB, either will work. Of course you need the wire from the Rx to measure the RSSI, but I'm not really sure how to set that up, never really messed with it. The video connectors are only ground and video signal(in and out)
Thanks! I don't think I'll diddle with the Rx since I already have return on the DX8 anyway.

Is there anything written on the USB interface?
SCVJeff is offline Find More Posts by SCVJeff
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Still having trouble with software. I am running in XP config mode. The software comes up. I try to set Imperial Units. Hardware Connect is OK. I push the Imperial Button and press SET. It says SET OK. But when I get everything plugged in and look at my display it is still Metric.

Also, when I try to upgrade firmware it says Erasing and then gives me Erase Timeout.

Why isn't this working?????????
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:09 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
Don't have to diddle with the Spectrum Rx but the OSD needs the 5v from it for power in flight. Written on the USB interface? It just plugs in where the GPS does, and can power it from the 5v USB from your computer.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:12 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
u2: Mine is a bit quirky too! I know i had to fool with it a bit, and just change one thing at a time, and make sure there was no error. Just guessing: Might want to run in "admin" mode and reduce the baud on your USB port?
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:37 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I am on Admin mode. But I will try reducing the baud. That's a good idea!Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:13 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
I finally got it to work

OK, finally, I got the Skylark Tiny III to update the firmware and also display in English (Imperial) units.

Here is what I think finally worked.

I made the configure program run in XP service pack III mode and Administrator

I let the Configure program select the port, (it chose com port 5) and ran it at 115,000 baud

I powered up the OSD with 5V power

I think previously I was just connecting the OSD to the USB port and not powering up the OSD. Today, without powering it up, I tried to update the firmware again, and it appeared to do so. So I then connected it up to my display and was totally dismayed to find no OSD display at all. I figured I had completely killed it and was going to have to send it back to Skylark.

In frustration I left the OSD powered up, plugged it into the computer one more time, and this time it asked for a firmware update. So I updated the firmware one more time while the unit was powered up, and set my parameters one more time, and closed the program, unplugged the USB and hooked it up to my display and was blown away to see that it was working and in the correct units.

So it appears that the OSB must be powered up with 5V power and (then?) connected to the USB in order for the programming to take place.

Also, I got this to work on my Windows Vista machine. It does not connect to my Windows 7 laptop. I believe with Windows 7 the Windows Firewall blocks connection to Com Ports.

Anyway, I am happy now. It is such a nice readable display. I hope Skylark will write down the proper procedure and put it on their website. It would save a lot of frustration.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
U2: Excellent!!! Glad you got it working! I just figured out today that you need USB plus power from Rx, to change most settings. I also had a flight that showed no voltage....so I messed that up somehow when it was working! Had a great flight today with my new sony 600 cam. I had been using a Gopro hero (verision 1) for the last 6 month...and WOW what a difference.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html
I'm still not sure what voltage to set the "voltage calibration" too for 4s? I just set it back to where it was =12.5v
I did get it to finally "write" the voltage setting (without error) to the the board by reading and setting the "voltage linear calibration", but still not sure of my settings. I did NOT use a multimeter to set it like it say in these instruction ( I do have a Watt-up but too ;lazy right now):
http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/201...urrent-sensor/
Last edited by glmccready; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:15 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,977 Posts
Ha Ha, you won't believe it Gary but I just got one of those too. Sweet!

I have not tried any voltage calibrations yet. I'll try it sometime but right now I am going to enjoy the fact that I have the English units! It really is a good looking little display and the baro altimeter is pretty decent and great for my quad.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:08 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
u2: don't know what you have been using but you will like that cam! FYI: when you change your setting (for the camera) chose EXIT or it doesn't save them. I check vidoe at home, worked great. Drove down the street to my field. without my extra plug in programmer, and colors were blown out. Finally figured out you must EXIT or you lose your settings!
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
It is unnecessary to calibrate voltage for battery change
If the voltage display normal, you needn't calibration voltage

Quote:
U2: Excellent!!! Glad you got it working! I just figured out today that you need USB plus power from Rx, to change most settings. I also had a flight that showed no voltage....so I messed that up somehow when it was working! Had a great flight today with my new sony 600 cam. I had been using a Gopro hero (verision 1) for the last 6 month...and WOW what a difference.
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html
I'm still not sure what voltage to set the "voltage calibration" too for 4s? I just set it back to where it was =12.5v
I did get it to finally "write" the voltage setting (without error) to the the board by reading and setting the "voltage linear calibration", but still not sure of my settings. I did NOT use a multimeter to set it like it say in these instruction ( I do have a Watt-up but too ;lazy right now):
http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/201...urrent-sensor/
skylarkfpv is offline Find More Posts by skylarkfpv
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Skylark OSD Voltage Calibration

1. Connect battery with OSD(current sensor)
2. Connect OSD with Configration Tool
3. Measuring the battery voltage by multimeter
4. Type the voltage value in [voltage calibrate], then click set button
skylarkfpv is offline Find More Posts by skylarkfpv
Last edited by skylarkfpv; Nov 28, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Gary
Joined Mar 2011
2,491 Posts
Skylark: thanks for the info about setting the Voltage calibration but it wouldn't write. I kept getting "1pvoltcal timeout". I finally got it to "Set" but not till I "set" the voltage current linear scale. I didn't measure it, just "set" it. I did notice that I set it on 12.5v, and it read 13.5v on a 16.8v (4s) battery so I figured I needed to change it. (see post #360)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=360