SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2011, 07:01 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teebok View Post
How long does it usually take to receive shipment from skylark? I ordered the tiny OSD on may, 14 I'm stll waiting for it to arrive.

I chose the cheap shipping option and it took 4 weeks. That's about the same as it takes my HK stuff to arrive.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2011, 07:28 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTT View Post
Has any one removed the deans connectors ? I use XH60 ( yellow jobs) bit I am very concerned that the amount of heat needed to remove the deans will dislodge some of the SM components.
Could Sky lark sell a current sensor with only wires so we can attach our own power connectors ??? deans , bullet, XH60

Tks
Nick
If you purchase Skylark Tiny OSD and Skylark USB update cable at one time, we'll install XT60 connectors for you freely.
If you want to install XT60 connectors, please leave a comment when you purchase the OSD.

Best regards,
Skylark FPV Service Center
skylarkfpv is offline Find More Posts by skylarkfpv
Last edited by skylarkfpv; Jun 23, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2011, 11:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
How long does it usually take to receive shipment from skylark? I ordered the tiny OSD on may, 14 I'm stll waiting for it to arrive.
We feel really sorry about that.
Please contact us if you have not received it on the weekend,
We will re-send a new OSD to you via DHL.

Best regards,
http://www.SkylarkFPV.com
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:03 PM
Joined May 2010
194 Posts
Hi,
Has any one used the 10hz gps.?
I have but the lag to the arrow was horrible 5sec plus
Or should I just get a 4 hz unit..... Oh and how does a slower unit work better ?

Tks
Nick
NickTT is offline Find More Posts by NickTT
Old Jun 28, 2011, 05:26 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Has any one used the 10hz gps.?
I have but the lag to the arrow was horrible 5sec plus
Or should I just get a 4 hz unit..... Oh and how does a slower unit work better ?

Tks
Nick
If the OSD cannot process the incoming gps fast enough then the readings will pile up in a buffer somewhere until processed and if the buffer fills then gps data will start being discarded. This will result in lag and could result in funky jumps in positioning etc.

This could also be a result of the baud rate GPS -> OSD not being fast enough to keep up (output buffer of the gps would fill) if the total volume of data is exceeding the baud rate (had this happen once on a 10hz RTK GPS system once).

Slower gps rate = less data sent = less to process/transmit.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jun 28, 2011, 07:57 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-flies View Post
If the OSD cannot process the incoming gps fast enough then the readings will pile up in a buffer somewhere until processed and if the buffer fills then gps data will start being discarded. This will result in lag and could result in funky jumps in positioning etc.

This could also be a result of the baud rate GPS -> OSD not being fast enough to keep up (output buffer of the gps would fill) if the total volume of data is exceeding the baud rate (had this happen once on a 10hz RTK GPS system once).

That's interesting. I didn't know about baud rate/buffer aspect of it, but that's exactly what my 10Hz unit does. The directional data seems to be fine (home arrow/radar/coordinates) but the altitude data lags 10-12 seconds behind and sometimes just doesn't make any sense at all. Yesterday I was cruising level around 350ft (once the gps caught up) and I watched the altitude spontaneously descend to -3ft then climb back up over 20-30 seconds. When I came down the altimeter was "stuck" at 357ft. I landed and sat on the ground for a couple of minutes but it never read below 351ft.

We've been talking about it over at FPVLAB. Watching video posted over there it seems that the 4Hz module still lags though it doesn't seem quite as bad as mine. Sentry, however, hasn't reported any issues at all with his 4Hz module.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Jun 28, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
That doesn't sound like buffer lag unless they split the readings internally into x,y and do other processing on Z as the altitude should be in the same string as the xy positions (at least for the common GGA strings)

Altitude is the most likely part of the 3d fix to suffer though it shouldn't "lag" really due to a fix issue.

Edit - Took a look at some of the various 10hz gps units and they will put out RMC data as well so it is possible the osd is using the RMC for x,y,speed,and heading and then using the GGA for the altitude which could explain why they behave differently.
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Jun 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey-flies View Post

The OSD has enough capacity to process the GPS data. The 4Hz GPS does well in altitude, because its chip has better steady performance. In theory, all GPS have a certain altitude drift, and the drift will increase when the plane accelerates rapidly. So some OSD have to add barometer to get more accurate altitude.
Last edited by skylarkfpv; Jun 28, 2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined May 2010
194 Posts
Hmmmm
I have immersion osd's that use a 10hz gps and the arrow is spot on 99.99 percent of the time. I accept the Highet is more of a problem and is subject to some errors.

So how do I make my skylark unit useable ?

Question for skylark, How much for a 4 hz gps unit ? And how much for a current unit with xh60.

I will have a look at fpvlab as I want to make this work the small size is great.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:48 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
The new Tiny OSD has been sent out via DHL, please check and reply after receive.

Best regards,
http://www.SkylarkFPV.com
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:33 AM
Joined May 2010
194 Posts
Hi,
Skylark , how much for a 4hz GPS unit please

Tks
Nick
Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:45 PM
Oh so close!
Campbell River
Joined Jan 2010
702 Posts
Probably a stupid question but....

Mounting my GPS unit. Does the flat square on the unit face up or down? Probably up...AND...if not up can it be mounted vertically?

I got my unit with XT60 connectors preinstalled (no charge if you order the USB cable..and you probably want it because believe me, it isn't exactly industry standard). My unit also shipped with a 4hz GPS.

Cheers
clipper99 is offline Find More Posts by clipper99
Last edited by clipper99; Jul 01, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul 01, 2011, 12:20 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Skylark , how much for a 4hz GPS unit please

Tks
Nick
Sorry for the late reply.
Now you can order them in Skylark FPV Store

Skylark 4Hz GPS
http://www.skylarkfpv.com/store/inde...&product_id=77

Skylark current sensor with XT60
http://www.skylarkfpv.com/store/inde...&product_id=76

Best regards,
Old Jul 01, 2011, 03:29 AM
Joined Apr 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipper99 View Post
Probably a stupid question but....

Mounting my GPS unit. Does the flat square on the unit face up or down? Probably up...AND...if not up can it be mounted vertically?

Cheers
Face up, the GPS will has better reception.
You can try to mount it vertically
Please share your results here
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I emailed Skylark about the altitude/3D fix problems I've been having with my 10Hz GPS module. They're sending me a replacement 4Hz unit by DHL in the next few days, apparently free of charge.

I'm feeling a little customer service here and it feels gooood.

kendall