HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:09 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm constantly amazed at the extents some people will go to, to avoid 4 channels.
That's why I'm sticking with free flight helis.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2011, 01:22 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Which "free flight" helis do you fly, and where do you buy them?

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimateo View Post
That's why I'm sticking with free flight helis.
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Aug 07, 2011, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
whatz up 9104

Went out just now to play with the no fly 9104 and it will not even lift off 1/4 inch. Played with it for a few minutes and stopped to check the motor....very hot. You don't want to keep you finger on it at all. I'm guessing its shot?
Pulled it out of the bird and the main shaft spins freely, so I don't suspect any binding and the shaft is not bent. Guess I'll order a new motor. Is there any upgrade motor or just stick with OEM?

thanks for the help.
Jburg is offline Find More Posts by Jburg
Old Aug 07, 2011, 08:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
I'd say it's shot. ESky probably sells the best brushed motors. But honestly, none are very good. The larger the heli, the fewer the options, too.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJayBee View Post
LOL
Even I wasn't daft enough to start out with a 3ch (as I knew I needed to move on)

But if you like big and simple and can't make your mind up over 3 or 4 ch then take a look at this whopper

Loads of them dirt cheap on ebay

i bet that heli cant fly cause the blades are too short
onlymines is offline Find More Posts by onlymines
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
3 Posts
anyways anyone here have a DH 9104 and got it to hover nicely in the air without moving in any direction? just recently got mines and it keeps moving to the left so i did the paperclip mod and now it moves forward and i cant trim it to stop.
onlymines is offline Find More Posts by onlymines
Old Aug 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Move the servo arm on the servo, so it holds the swash lower in the back.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Got my 9104 back in the air after replacing the main motor...thanks Balr14.
I don't really have any forward or reverse flight capability. I made the swash modification I found no the 9100 forum, it will hover OK. The servo moves the swash up and down, but still barely any forward/backward control. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 22, 2011, 11:30 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jburg View Post
Got my 9104 back in the air after replacing the main motor...thanks Balr14.
I don't really have any forward or reverse flight capability. I made the swash modification I found no the 9100 forum, it will hover OK. The servo moves the swash up and down, but still barely any forward/backward control. Any thoughts?
You may be able to use a longer arm on the servo to provide more movement, or put a collar on the mainshaft that allows the swashplate to tilt, but not move up and down on the shaft. The problem really is in the design, so anything you do is likely to have some negative effects. A 4 channel heli would use a 90 swashplate and one servo for pitch (elevators) and another servo for roll (ailerons). This heli used one servo to provide both functions, so it employs a 120 swashplate, sort of splitting the difference between the two. 120 gives it more bias toward elevators than ailerons, but nothing close to what you would get with a conventional 90 swashplate. On top of that, it uses a 45 offest flybar and it's purpose is to damp movement authority. You can't have a heli without ailerons, so there's lots of design compromises at work here to compensate for that missing servo. If you want 4 channel performance, you need to buy a 4 channel heli.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Thanks for all your suggestions. I do now have a Blade 120 SR, just waiting for my DX7 to arrive. But, the 9104 is giving my thumbs something to do for now....even the the right thumb should not be controlling the rudder as with this 3 channel machine.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 05:31 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
179 Posts
Low main blade speed

I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on a problem that has developed in my 9104. I have only had the heli for a bit over a week.
The main blade RPM is not high enough for lift off. I initially thought it was a battery problem and substuted a fresh lipo with the same result.I have put a wattsup watt meter inline with the battery and its only drawing 7 amps.This will intermittantly rise to 10 amps and main blade will increase in RPM.
I thought if there was any binding in the gearing that the current would be higher rather than lower than normal.
Has anybody struck this problem before and what was done to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
What's your voltage before and after a flight attempt? If it's 8.2- 8.4v before and 7.2v or more after, the motor is probably bad. Heli is carrying a lot of weight with a lot of blade resistance, using a very poor motor.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4fun6719 View Post
I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice on a problem that has developed in my 9104. I have only had the heli for a bit over a week.
The main blade RPM is not high enough for lift off. I initially thought it was a battery problem and substuted a fresh lipo with the same result.I have put a wattsup watt meter inline with the battery and its only drawing 7 amps.This will intermittantly rise to 10 amps and main blade will increase in RPM.
I thought if there was any binding in the gearing that the current would be higher rather than lower than normal.
Has anybody struck this problem before and what was done to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I just experienced this issue and a new motor solved the problem.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 03:58 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Jul 2008
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
What's your voltage before and after a flight attempt? If it's 8.2- 8.4v before and 7.2v or more after, the motor is probably bad. Heli is carrying a lot of weight with a lot of blade resistance, using a very poor motor.
Battery voltage remained around the 8volts during the tests.Would you still think it was a faulty motor.I thought the receiver/controller board may have been faulty.
fly4fun6719 is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun6719
Old Aug 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
20,708 Posts
So, the battery is good. Could be the board, but those motors really are the first thing I'd suspect. There just aren't any brushed motors really suited to that size heli and amount of blade resistance. However, if you had a crash and did not kill the throttle before impact, or immediately upon impact, you can burn out FETs. It takes like 2 - 3 seconds.