SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Power MOSFETs $1.25 shipped - Banggood

Didn't look at the specifications on these. A good bet they will work as replacement motor driving transistors.

IRFZ44N IRFZ44 Transistor Mosfet N-Channel International Rectifier Power Mosfet
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ir...t-p-44871.html
--

Wanna do some night flying. Check out the 2 LED Dragonfly
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=493

60 Dragonfly Helicopters for $23 shipped
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

Remove electronics, tape to canopy nose, and switch on. No soldering. No wiring. $0.38 each.

When internal batteries die, remove the LEDs and wire to helicopter battery. Two LEDs in series across 7.4 volt LiPo battery works fine, without a series resistor, but current will be about 70ma on fully charged LiPo (8.4 volts) and drop to about 10ma at 7.0 volts.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 01:36 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Servo installation (mod 2)

Tumppi T is offline Find More Posts by Tumppi T
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)
Old May 13, 2012, 02:11 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumppi T View Post
That looks better than the diagonal pushrod.

My DH9104 is also waiting for the MJX F45 receiver board. Not sure how to handle the swashplate. When I see how the MJX F45 swashplate works, I will try to make the DH9104 the same. On one of Ken's revisions, he turned the DH9104 swashplate so the two control arms were in the back, then he put a new anti-rotation pin up front.

I have also seen on other helicopters where the servo pushrod connects to the anti-rotation pin and pushes it up and down.

In these photos, Ken has two aileron servos in back and the elevator servo up front. Using five channels. Maybe the two aileron servos could be wired in parallel since they are mounted opposite each other and will turn in opposite directions, so would allow four channels.

Last edited by Ribble; May 13, 2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Mar 2012
35 Posts

i thin the best 4ch mod is with 3 servos and turned around swasplate
doncissss is offline Find More Posts by doncissss
Old May 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
DH9117 Main Rotor

Auflyer posted some DH9117 photos. Note the audience fascination in this photo.

Double Horse 9117 4ch FP specs and review
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=55
---

Looks like something Ken did a while back to the DH9104.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Trinidad & Tobago, St Andrew, Valencia
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Quote:

i see the inspiration worked bro......impressive
michaeldepeza is offline Find More Posts by michaeldepeza
Old May 16, 2012, 02:37 AM
still a lot to learn!!!!
Australia, NSW, Laurieton
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Well That was a dissapointment - First flight 9117

First flight done and dusted an im left disapointed. Everything that has already been written in correct. It needs a lot of throttle to get it to lift and whilst the motor does seem to have more headroom to spin up there is not enough punch in the battery to keep it there for long. I was lucky to get 4 1/2 minutes before I could barely keep of the ground.

There was a descent breeze and I couldnt get much head way. I moved to the last position on the servo horns and it seemed to help. I believe the biggest issue hampering agility is the lack of punch from the motor and not having enough head speed. The other issue I had was when I tried to apply any throttle in a burst it would spin ccw and tail couldnt hold it, which considering its lack of power is surprisinging. It could just be a crap tail motor, its not as if I havent had plenty of those on my 9116 though..

So where do I stand now!!!!
No 1) it needs a battery with more punch before I can determine if the oem motor is the issue or not.
No 2) I need a new tail motor. The tail motor holder is the same as the 9053 except turned to be vertical and not horizontal. I had already ordered a spare but might see if the 9053 tail motor is the same?????

Without going through this thread completely, what are the options for battery, main and tail motor upgrades?????

or sell it now!!!!!! I expected to have to mod this heli, with the 9116 it was good to start with but with a bit of work it was great, the starting point for this is

Stay tuned.
Auflyer is offline Find More Posts by Auflyer
Old May 16, 2012, 03:03 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
I need a new tail motor. The tail motor holder is the same as the 9053 except turned to be vertical and not horizontal. I had already ordered a spare but might see if the 9053 tail motor is the same?
I ordered a DH9104 tail unit (boom will eventually break, too many flybar strikes). Cheap enough and no soldering. Don't know about DH9053.

Chopper Tail Unit for DH 9104-14 ... $5.51 shipped
Old May 16, 2012, 03:24 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auflyer View Post
I tried to apply any throttle in a burst it would spin ccw and tail couldnt hold it
The fourth channel that the DH9104 transmitter sends is the "LEFT/RIGHT TURN" knob which appears to adjust the gyro gain. Try DH9117 rudder sub-trim.

On the DH9117, I would short the MOPS red loop and see if that gives better main and tail motor power. MOPS on DH9116 carries both main and tail motor currents. DH9104 has no MOPS - MOSFETs go directly to ground.

DH9104 likes the 1300mah Li-Ion battery. I use 1000mah LiPo's and is a big difference balance wise. A heavier battery on DH9117 may cause less agility. DH9117 also has the extra servo to the rear which doesn't help forward speed. Remove the tail boom supports to rid some weight aft for better forward speed. These changes don't have to be permanent - just a way to test if there is a difference.
Last edited by Ribble; May 16, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
21 Posts
The Double Horse 9117 Controller board is now available here.

I just ordered one along with the linkage set and a 9116 swash plate, though the do also have the 9117 swash plate. Going to try to convert my 9104 to 4-channel.
ItalianStallion is offline Find More Posts by ItalianStallion
Old May 17, 2012, 02:12 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion View Post
The Double Horse 9117 Controller board is now available here.

I just ordered one along with the linkage set and a 9116 swash plate, though the do also have the 9117 swash plate. Going to try to convert my 9104 to 4-channel.
Banggood is stocking many DH9117 parts. DH9117 photo maybe isn't. Full heatsink tabs and big snub diode required for this big bird.
Last edited by Ribble; May 17, 2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Finally my DH is 4 channel

MJX transmitter + PCB functions perfectly. I really suggest them. Feels like my DH has now much more power and there is lots of trimming options.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tumppi T; May 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old May 17, 2012, 04:03 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Finally my DH is 4 channel
MJX transmitter + PCB functions perfectly. I really suggest them. Feels like my DH has now much more power and there is lots of trimming possibilities.
Yes, I have a MJX F45 helicopter and extra receiver board coming also. The 2.4GHz and transmitter settings will be nice.

Let us know how well your DH9104 controls work with the F45 transmitter. Looks like you made the DH9104 swashplate the same as the F45.

MJX F45 small package - $85 shipped
Old May 18, 2012, 02:13 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Yes, I have a MJX F45 helicopter and extra receiver board coming also. The 2.4GHz and transmitter settings will be nice.

Let us know how well your DH9104 controls work with the F45 transmitter. Looks like you made the DH9104 swashplate the same as the F45.

MJX F45 small package - $85 shipped

My friend has a F45 and I have flyed couple of times with that.

After the modifications I have done so far to my DH, I can say that it flyes and reacts same way as the F45........fast & nicely

As you can see from my pics I use the original 9104 swashplate. I removed the left-front arm and put small screw to the slide support part front of swashplate (I don't know the right name for that part). The screw prevents front pin of the swashplate sliding down. With that combination the swashplate moves perfectly

Why I didn't buy MJX F45 instead of modifying DH9104?
>>> DH looks so much better ....and I love challenges
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Tumppi T; May 18, 2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:17 AM
Micro Heli mods
Finland, Tuusula
Joined Mar 2012
181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldepeza View Post
i see the inspiration worked bro......impressive
Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: VCTRC 450 Pro V2 (T-Rex clone)