SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Nice!!!! I can see that coming later!!! The Flysky TX/RX should take care of that being 6ch. Just have to buy an extra RX. Hmmmm!
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:49 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
You couldn't fly it anyway!

Buy one of these and two more bodies for $8.95 each (cheap parts)
And they have a warehouse in US (ah, but not UK)
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001223866

Cheap parts
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224540

A price war between LeaderHobby and HobbyKing

There is a rcgroup thread about LeaderHobby, it is real and they deliver.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 02, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken59 View Post
I still want someone to use a 9116 PCB on a 9104 with the 370 motor. This way, we can find out if the PCB can handle the motor.
Hmmmm.
9116 PCB can NOT handle the DH9104. It will burn up within a few flights. But the 9104 FETs moved to the 9116 board is easy and will work. Even better to just parallel the 9104 FETs with the 9116 FETs if you don't want to remove the 9116 FETs and want the combined amperage. Gotta watch not to get too much capacitance when parallel, but 9116 FET driver should handle it.

I need a photo of the 9116 PCB bottom. There were a couple posted, but not complete reverse side.
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 02, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:20 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Chester,
Can you help Ribble out on this? He needs a photo, pretty good closeup, of a 9116 PCB from the bottom. Thanks!
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:05 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
I haven't looked in the 9116 thread lately. When Ken posted top and bottom of the 9104 receiver PCB I forgot about the 9116. There is enough to see how the FETs are wired. That 9116 large red loop Motor Overload Protection Circuit (MOPD) is wired between both main and tail FETs to ground, so if your DH9116 fails both motors, you can jumper it out as long as you have a way to remove the battery in a hurry. Still, that MOPD "fuse" wouldn't burn open unless there was a motor problem, or throttle was left on after a crash causing a motor stall.

Chester, what I do is use a top photo and bottom photo and size them the same so I can quickly flip back and forth to follow the circuit on both sides.

I had been hoping for American photos. Lacking that, UK photos will work if I change the spelling from "colour" to "color".

And it would be nice if someone does a squeeze test on that red "coloured" MOPD loop to feel what is in there. May be a simple wire that melts, or there is some fast acting semiconductor in there that takes the hit faster than the FETs.

Last edited by Ribble; Feb 02, 2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
Steve
United Kingdom, Staffordshire
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Hi guys, best I could do in the time I have.
Chester1 is offline Find More Posts by Chester1
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Thanks Chester. The 9116 bottom enlarges well and brightness brings out full detail. Actually, perfect detail.

You didn't have to remove the PCB from the helicopter just for me. I thought you had an extra PCB for a DH9104 mod. Or maybe that is a DH9104.

The 9116 receiver daughter board forward, the one with the zig-zag antenna etched on the PCB - I saw a photo of a 9116 that had that receiver board lifted up on a 30 degree angle. Didn't think much about it at the time and now I can't find it again, but lifting the free end up may increase range greatly by making it more "visible".to the transmitter.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:57 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
9018 board for comparison to 9116 receiver board. Note vertical connectors by zigzag antenna - 9116 has 4 pads there.

They also put a jumbo LED in place of the small chip LED on the 9116. No Motor Overload Protection Device (MOPD), the red loop on 9116.
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 03, 2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:44 PM
Trinidad & Tobago, St Andrew, Valencia
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post

Buy one of these and two more bodies for $8.95 each (cheap parts)
And they have a warehouse in US (ah, but not UK)
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001223866

Cheap parts
https://www.leaderhobby.com/product....=9394001224540

A price war between LeaderHobby and HobbyKing

There is a rcgroup thread about LeaderHobby, it is real and they deliver.

..................YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING
michaeldepeza is offline Find More Posts by michaeldepeza
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:26 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Originally Posted by Ribble

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldepeza View Post

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING
Kidding about what Michael? You think you can fly a 450 6 channel?
----------

I gotta post this and fix my previous statements.
The large snub diode on the 9104 board is opposite polarity (long lead) of that on the 9116 board and will short the 9116 board if you orient the 9104 diode in the same way on the 9116 board. - - Not to worry, I can't read that either. Do not use the large 9104 snub diode on the 9116 board. Blame Chester for his 9116 photos!
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 02, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
anything is possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble

Kidding about what Michael? You think you can fly a 450 6 channel?
----------

I gotta post this and fix my previous statements.
The large snub diode on the 9104 board is opposite polarity (long lead) of that on the 9116 board and will short the 9116 board if you orient the 9104 diode in the same way on the 9116 board. - - Not to worry, I can't read that either. Do not use the large 9104 snub diode on the 9116 board. Blame Chester for his 9116 photos!

Honestly the prices are ridiculously cheap...........

Bro honestly.............i can't do it now but i'm sure i won't make my heli crash..........

i do a aspect of Bmx freestyle called "Flatland"...basically its rooling around in different and constantly shifting centres of balance points on your bike all the while on one wheel (Breakless)........my world is all about Difficult and once deemed impossible things made to happen after practicing and studying the physics behind my body's position and bike frame while keeping that one wheel rolling...............there is nothing about flying a 3d heli that i can't learn....

My vimeo page

MY EDIT..... (2 min 19 sec)

that's where i intend to be....that was what i saw that made me decide i will follow that teenaged dream of getting into it.......

N.B _ i'm not boasting or anything...........but my sportlife has been all about making the inpossible a reality in a short space of time...........

Oh BTW guys...i'm just back from my night session of flying in my windy sport field..(i live at the foot of our northern range...windy environment,i din't have the car to go to the mall)...must say flying against the wind gives you some realtime experience of how R/C helis can battle directional wind...........)
Last edited by michaeldepeza; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add comment
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
michaeldepeza - I'm impressed!

OK, I admit that I wouldn't even try to do Bmx freestyle "Flatland" or any freestyle anything. But I have now found out what those bars sticking out of the axle are for, thankyou. Aren't your ankles cut up!

Saw a video a while back of British guys jumping across roof tops. No, I don't want to see a video of you doing it. They were good at it though.

It was also impressive video editing. The newspaper thing was great and maybe another dozen other things that I enjoyed without noticing.

Still, flying a 450 size, 6 channel helicopter will take a little practice. If it were me the helicopter would last about 20 seconds, including 19 seconds to throttle up.

I do a lot of flying after midnight, when there is a full moon and no wind.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:38 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Those are great prices! I can see the frame later at that price. Who says you have to do 3d flying with it??? Just building a solid flyer is more than half of the hobby! Oh, I need to get that special cable to turn my CT6B into a 6ch trainer for my simulator (Clearview). At least I can crash a lot there and it only cost me $40! When I do, I will put the 4ch USB controller up for sale.
Last edited by Ken59; Feb 02, 2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: More
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Thanks Bro

Quote:
michaeldepeza - I'm impressed!

OK, I admit that I wouldn't even try to do Bmx freestyle "Flatland" or any freestyle anything. But I have now found out what those bars sticking out of the axle are for, thankyou. Aren't your ankles cut up!

Saw a video a while back of British guys jumping across roof tops. No, I don't want to see a video of you doing it. They were good at it though.

It was also impressive video editing. The newspaper thing was great and maybe another dozen other things that I enjoyed without noticing.

Still, flying a 450 size, 6 channel helicopter will take a little practice. If it were me the helicopter would last about 20 seconds, including 19 seconds to throttle up.

I do a lot of flying after midnight, when there is a full moon and no wind.

thanks for the compliment bro...hope you didn't take it as boasting......its just that after 10yrs of doing that sport you see nothing as impossible or difficult...just challenging...........
hope we all on this 9104 topic grow into 450's and 8ch etc and help and encourage each other to grow and do it together...........
i will definitely be building a more solid heli of 6ch after this 9104 and may/will keep my 9104 around to help teach/introduce others who wanna get into R/C.

trust me i know all about practicing the same move for hours on end...sadly R/C helis don't fly so long for they overheat.......but we'll all help each other..think of all the forums i've checked on this topic.....this crew is a GOLD MINE...damn we are good at finding and sharing info...especially you Ribble and Ken59

lets do this guys.........
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:01 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken59 View Post
I will put the 4ch USB controller up for sale.
...and use the money to buy batteries that your transmitter burns on the simulator.