HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:23 PM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Maybe this is better

Here are two pictures with lines draw on top of the axis and maybe you can see the difference better. First is the 9116 and second is the 120 again. Hope this helps.
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Oh, I see what you are saying, roughly 90 degrees between Elevator and Aileron.

However, on the 9116, the two arms are aft with an anti-rotation pin forward, so it is used more like a 120 degree swashplate. Each control interacts with the other and there has to be some interesting channel mixing going on.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:41 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
I only have this one 9116 rotor picture in my collection (posted in the 9116 thread).

He bent the flybar up for some reason that I don't remember. Looks like a repaired swashplate too.

Right click to new tab to enlarge.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:59 AM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Yeah, the mixing has to be interesting. I saw a youtube on the movement. It would be so much easier if it was like the 90 degree of the honey bee fp v2. I am thinking of how I will mod the frame to accept the other servo, and I think I may have come up with it last night. On a true 90 degree, you really would not need to mix. The roll should (that word again) be on a separate channel on the receiver from the forward. About the only thing that would, and does mix, is the gyro mixing of the speed control for the yaw axis (rudder). Hmmm. I should have all 4ch parts in by the end of the week and then Frankenstein' monster will live! Well, as long as it doen't decapitate someone!
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
Trinidad & Tobago, St Andrew, Valencia
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
servo positions

Hey Ken59 talking about the servo positions i've also been wondering about that
michaeldepeza is offline Find More Posts by michaeldepeza
Old Jan 30, 2012, 01:41 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
New servo position

Here is the first move to 4ch. I had to cut out a little of hole directly below the top main shaft support. I went forward and up a little, just enough to make it fit. So, I just moved the rear to the front and turned the support piece backward. Here are pictures. I will put the second servo on the other side and clip out some of the top servo hole (already there) and move it forward and then put a support piece in the hole to support the rear of the servo. I figured you want to get the arm as close as you can to underneath that side of the swashplate for least amount of deviation. Should have the parts at the end of the week. The canopy pegs had to be repositioned a litlle, but they still work.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 08:50 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
That esky big lama mixer is for a coaxial and may not work too well. Maybe look for the Esky 002496 as it is for a FP copter. They are hard to find, though. I managed to find the 9116 swashplate from here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm...olesalers.html

The servo is a good price, but it seems the availability of parts, and selection, is good here in the states. I have the same TX/RX (CT6B) on order.

Keep us informed of the progress.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Thanks

yeah Ken59 thanks alot for that correction. already switched it over. so what you're saying in addition is that i won't need the 9104 pcb or the 9116 pcb for this conversion basically?
hoping i don't have to wait nearly a month for these parts....lol tried to get most from same suppliers. wished i could've gotten almost all at same prices in the U.S............shorter waiting time.

P.S i tried posting some pics of optional servo placements on chassis but pics for some reason didn't show up on post.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
does low battery alarm make sense?

hey guys not to be a pain but tdoes installing this make sense on a heli

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lipo-Battery...#ht_2433wt_952
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:52 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
michaeldepeza - What is an ESKY 3 in 1 controller - it looks like a receiver and not exactly easy to hook up a different receiver to.

This 4 in 1, make sure this 2.4GHz receiver will work with the 2.4GHz transmitter you are getting.
http://www.rccarmax.com/esky00086324...er-p-1155.html
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
????? i'm lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldepeza View Post
so then basically what you're saying is that if we use this 4n 1 R/Cmixer/controller,we can keep the stock 9104 board but just switch the transmitter and swashplate plus add servo and get that 4th channel?

i was/still are a bit lost on the functions of the 3n1 and 4n 1 mixers....anyone have a basic explaination of how they work (not too technical) cus someone recommended the 3n 1 mixer in that post where the guy added mixer and transparent servo to mod the 9104 to 4ch.
then.............

It should bind with equipment from different types. The PCB from the 9104 will not be needed any longer. The 4n1 will take care of it all or get a flysky 6ch TX/RC combo and add a 3n1 (this is what I am trying first and plan on other aircraft later).

so i'm a bit lost with your question............Ribble
Old Jan 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
The "3 in 1" and "4 in 1" are essentially 2.4GHz receivers for Huge Lama or HoneyBee helicopters. To use one of these controllers, you need the matching transmitter.

You just can't go out and buy a transmitter and expect it to work with those receivers, even if it all comes from the same company.

You need:

Transmitter and matching receiver, 4 channels or more.
One more servo
Some kind of Electronic Speed Controller (ESC) with two motor outputs and a Battery Eliminator Controller (BEC) to supply +5v to receiver.
And some kind of Gyro and mixer for Rudder, also Rudder needs to be mixrd with Throttle (can be done in transmitter).
If you are using a 7.2v battery, then the ESC has to work off 7.2v. so make sure.

I am trying to catch up and it doesn't look like you are buying parts that will play with each other.
---
For example:
Buy a 9116 receiver board. A 9116 transmitter. A sevo, I think that is all you need and they will all play nicely with each other.
You already have a flyable helicopter and battery/charger. The 9116 is also 7.2v.

The problem with the 9116 receiver board is that the switching transistor (FET) for main motor will burn up quickly (current rating is too low), so best to replace both main and tail FETs with something that can handle the additional current - even use the ones from the 9104 board - they will work and swapping them out is just three solder leads each.

If the two snub diodes from the 9104 board will fit in the 9116 board, then swap those out also. No! No! Larger snub diode has wrong polarity long lead and will short out 9116 board if orientated the same way as the 9116 diode on the 9116 board.

I should also mention that the 9116 receiver board has what Double Horse (Syma) calls a "Motor Overload Protection Devise" (MOPD) which appears to be a high current fuse (the pretty red wire loop on the 9116 board), but the current rating of that has to be serveral times higher than what the DH9104 motor draws. No problem. Even if it blows, just short it out - the 9104 board doesn't have it and doesn't need it - the 9116 battery isn't meant to be removed so they have to prevent the 9116 battery from blowing up when everything else gets vaporized (like the time when someone we know shorted the tail motor MOSFET on the 9104).

FET = Field Effect Transistor. More commonly known as a MOSFET = Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor. In this case, an N-Channel low gate voltage high current MOSFET. It costs more to type all that than to buy the stupid things. Marvelous devices.

Actually, what I would do is buy a DH9116 and another 9116 receiver board, and a servo. Use the one transmitter for either the DH9116 or the modded DH9104. Two flyable 4 channel helicopters (one is big, the other is bigger) the cheap way.

Get what I am trying to say? Things just don't look right.
Last edited by Ribble; Feb 02, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmm

ok bro i get what you're saying so then i was previously misled because i was trying to avoid buying another 4ch heli just to get to fly my 9104.
hence the reason i was gonna buy this as advised

http://www.xheli.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html

that way when i eventually move to 6ch i wont have to buy a whole lot of new stuff. and the mod pics from the other forum showed 6ch receiver and matching transmitter.
this is why i thought it logical to buy 6ch TX/RX combo.
i was told tht buying 9116 PCB will make no sense.

so then you're saying that it wont work if i use the 6ch TX/RX with 9104 PCB?

and can you check this build and tell me if i have it all wrong in my head even though this guy did it...cus i'm not getting 9116 transmitter online and no news on if 9104 transmitter can be modded with extra pot and channel

http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.co...4ch-t3968.html

please check my pics

CORRECTION: i've found the 9116 controller

http://www.feala.com/images/9116/911626.jpg

so please analize my post and advise final decision. go with 9116 Transmitter, PCB,Swashplate,Bucle set and 1 additional servo and mod the 9104 PCB?

or go to $27 6ch transmitter and receiver combo,brushed ESC,and 4n1 contoller?
Last edited by michaeldepeza; Jan 31, 2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: TO ADD EXTRA LINK AND QUESTION