Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:50 PM
Suspended Account
United Kingdom, Swansea
Joined Mar 2011
2,225 Posts
Holy crap Killbucket that's some collection
I fully understand where you're coming from, I like shiny things too

I find myself constantly browsing Ebay for more

Can't even fly properly yet and despite having a 500 already I've got another (T-Rex) in my watch list
TeeJayBee is offline Find More Posts by TeeJayBee
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 07:01 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post
3 channel airplanes. Do those pilots get the same pigeon-holing?
I'm not into 3-channel because of the price, simplicity, or accessibility. I like them due to all three. I'm just glad I assembled a decent fleet before the cloners took over the market.
Many 3 channel heli fans are fiercely adamant about it. It's like some kind of badge of honor to resist moving to 4 channels. "Moving on" means you've crossed over to the dark side. You don't find that with 3 channel airplane pilots. Everyone recognizes that 3 channel planes are simply a learning step. So are 4 channel planes, for that matter.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:42 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I understand your 3-ch love KB, for what they are they're great. My S032 is pretty much unbreakable compared to my proper 4ch FP.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:06 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Mine should be here today or tomorrow.
Maybe I'll un-crate the terrifying 9100 double Horse for a second look.

My beef with these isn't control, it's too much to dial in while keeping it alive using only 3 channels.

And I just felt silly embarking on a lengthy tuning session

when the Costco copter just flies...

BUT, and this is a big but, it is a single rotor, and that's a new thing for me to tinker with again.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:22 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Nice going Killbucket, cool 3D image! Special camera?
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Apr 15, 2011 at 08:28 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:21 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

Thanks. It's not a special camera, it's the one I always use, a Samsung 730.

Nope, photo edit technique. You take a pic from one spot, with the lens in front of each eyeball.

A how-to is here.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 09:48 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
620 Posts
wow.. this is fast
I just saw the 9104 start selling few days back at my local store too...
this is one giant bird

i still trying to learn flying on the 9100
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:17 AM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
I have to take credit for an idea I gave to an individual who owns a DH 9100. I suggested to him that he use an adjustable turnbuckle like those used in RC car suspension links to tune out the left drifting tendency. He put one on, and connected it to the appropriate swash plate ball, and it worked like a charm. The thing flew straight, and he was super happy.

But maybe Double Horse corrected this right at the factory on the new model. We'll know when someone buys, and tests one.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Still with only 3 channels, really? A single rotor with 3 channels...

Go to the 9100 thread and read all the posts from people stating "my 9100 pushes to the left on take-off, how do I counteract this?" - with a 4th channel!
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:52 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Mar 2009
1,654 Posts
I can see how that would be a problem, with no right-cyclic, other than just going full throttle to out of that ground effect.

Would adding something like a weight on the right-hand side? I would try fixing a training ball to the skids or something.
Microbaba is offline Find More Posts by Microbaba
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:21 PM
Chicago, IL
Joined Nov 2009
3,015 Posts
For fun and simplicity, is it better to get the 9101 instead of the 9104 ?

Vien
vienquach is offline Find More Posts by vienquach
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

I would say yes, due to the space needed for safe flight. The smaller copter would indeed be a better choice for most folks.

Adjust the turn-buckle, and you then fly with the adjustment the whole time. Is this an issue?

What the core "problem" is, is the head doesn't allow the blades to flap up and down, at all. This was one of the key developments that made copters safer to fly in the early days. An upgraded head would help, but add to the cost of what's a nicely-priced item.

I haven't flown mine yet, too freeking windy out.
Once you wrestle the battery holder out of the Tx, you find that it takes nearly as much brute to replace it. Otherwise, no nits or picks yet. The throttle seems controllable enough, nothing like a Syma S031.

Double Horse 9104 Model WARNING:
This is a copter that will appeal to beginners and intermediate types in a big way, it already is. However, be warned- the throttle is live if the system's on- there is no dead stroke of the throttle needed to enable the motors to spin up.

If you were to leave the throttle up on the stick (it is not spring-loaded), the copter would go to that throttle setting instantly (I surmise, didn't try this) if then switched to "on".
Last edited by killbucket; Apr 17, 2011 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Being NICE to people got me the first one in North America.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:11 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
http://youtu.be/k6j9w4xwjcU
Way too windy to fly, I shot some closeups of the chassis...
Old Apr 17, 2011, 04:26 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Very impressive looking heli you got there KB!

I'm laughing a bit because as I was viewing your post, I was holding my Blade mSR in my hand, getting it ready to fly in the house, and couldn't help to think the huge difference in size vs price (7.5 inches for the mSR vs 28 inches for the 9104) points for both helis.

I paid nearly $100 for the bind-and-fly mSR, while the complete RTF 9104 package can be bought for as little as $89.95 shipped from an eBay seller I seen last night on that site. That can truly skew most people's perception on value as far as model RC helis, but they are after all, totally different "universes" in the hobby.

Non the less, I am sure there are people who are looking forward to your flight review KB. So far, I have found only one video on the 9104 on YouTube but you can't see the thing as it was filmed in the dark. Some people.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbucket View Post

I would say yes, due to the space needed for safe flight. The smaller copter would indeed be a better choice for most folks.

Adjust the turn-buckle, and you then fly with the adjustment the whole time. Is this an issue?

What the core "problem" is, is the head doesn't allow the blades to flap up and down, at all. This was one of the key developments that made copters safer to fly in the early days. An upgraded head would help, but add to the cost of what's a nicely-priced item.

I haven't flown mine yet, too freeking windy out.
Once you wrestle the battery holder out of the Tx, you find that it takes nearly as much brute to replace it. Otherwise, no nits or picks yet. The throttle seems controllable enough, nothing like a Syma S031.

Double Horse 9104 Model WARNING:
This is a copter that will appeal to beginners and intermediate types in a big way, it already is. However, be warned- the throttle is live if the system's on- there is no dead stroke of the throttle needed to enable the motors to spin up.

If you were to leave the throttle up on the stick (it is not spring-loaded), the copter would go to that throttle setting instantly (I surmise, didn't try this) if then switched to "on".
Old Apr 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts

I gave her a short hop in the garage (!!!), and the slight jive to one side on takeoff is no big deal, as long as you plan it into your liftoff. You pretty much can't go straight up, unless you really goose it.
Hoping for calm air tomorrow morning, possibly this evening...
You can get a nice discount on a 9104, with the code found at my site.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 09:27 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
9104 Video

OK. Someone finally posted a short video on YouTube showing the DH 9104 in flight. It seems pretty fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M15lzxnRmoY

Ed
Last edited by edwong3; Apr 17, 2011 at 10:25 PM.