Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
"RC Battery 20C 40C 2000mAh 7.4V 2S High Discharge LiPo"

That is some battery! And cheap? $6.00 with $10.00 shipping. Seems to have the correct charge connector. Wrong helicopter connector.

The DH9104 stock charger will balance the two Li-Ion cells in the stock battery. It balances by making the two series cells the same voltage.

I charge 2S1P (7.4 volt) LiPo batteries with my DH9104 charger with no problems. Should be OK, with due respect for anytime you charge any Li-Ion or LiPo batteries. Know where the exits are and have a plan to quickly throw the thing outside at the first sign of trouble.

My advice is to learn how to plug the battery pack into the charger with your eyes closed and feeling the top of the 3 prong charge connector.
---

Power management: All BATTERYTREE rechargeable batteries have built-in high quality PCB board, charging protectors, thermal protectors and circuit breakers, effectively avoiding the over-charge, over-discharge, over-heating and short circuit.

Nice features. Not about balanced charge? Check the size - looks too long for canopy. Wrong Helicopter connector.

"January 28, 2012" Out of town for Chinese New Year. Other vendors say 2/5/2012.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 23, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:56 PM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
I got the Thunder ac680 and it is good. The AC6 is a little cheaper,but not cooling fan as in the 680. Well worth the $55 from hobbypartz. They have the GenAce 1300mah LIPOs, but beware as they are the banana plug and you will have to fit one on the bird. I got the 2200mah battery to test, but have not yet.
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:56 PM
Trinidad & Tobago, St Andrew, Valencia
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
9116 faulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
What makes you think that the DH9116 is better than the DH9104. The DH9116 is smaller, has less mass, smaller battery, and doesn't by default fly better.

Think of the DH9104 as something you can demolish over the next year while learning how to fly it.

Buy one of these things and download FMS and HeliSim free simulators. Biggest bang for the buck you will ever buy. Better to crash and burn on a simulator so you will do it less on the real model.

RC Tech 6 CH Flight Simulator Kit
http://www.xheli.com/new6chflsico.html

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with"
just a link to support theory of 9116 PCB burnout.

Defective Double Horse 9116 helicopter (1 min 26 sec)
michaeldepeza is offline Find More Posts by michaeldepeza
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Battery upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
"RC Battery 20C 40C 2000mAh 7.4V 2S High Discharge LiPo"

That is some battery! And cheap? $6.00 with $10.00 shipping. Seems to have the correct charge connector. Wrong helicopter connector.

The DH9104 stock charger will balance the two Li-Ion cells in the stock battery. It balances by making the two series cells the same voltage.

I charge 2S1P (7.4 volt) LiPo batteries with my DH9104 charger with no problems. Should be OK, with due respect for anytime you charge any Li-Ion or LiPo batteries. Know where the exits are and have a plan to quickly throw the thing outside at the first sign of trouble.

My advice is to learn how to plug the battery pack into the charger with your eyes closed and feeling the top of the 3 prong charge connector.
---

Power management: All BATTERYTREE rechargeable batteries have built-in high quality PCB board, charging protectors, thermal protectors and circuit breakers, effectively avoiding the over-charge, over-discharge, over-heating and short circuit.

Nice features. Not about balanced charge? Check the size - looks too long for canopy. Wrong Helicopter connector.

"January 28, 2012" Out of town for Chinese New Year. Other vendors say 2/5/2012.
Before i stumbled upon this forum and even received my 9014 i saw this review on battery upgrade...possible changing of connectors they are available at our only hobby shop in the City.

Battery upgrade for the Double Horse 9104, 9101 and Volitation 9053 helicopters (2 min 4 sec)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
"just a link to support theory of 9116 PCB burnout."

The guy didn't even take the canopy off the DH9116. Maybe he doesn't know how to.

9100, 9116, 9104 etc. Double Horse helicopters have a tendency to vaporize the Electronic Speed Control switching transistor and snub diode.
---------

"The Li-Ion battery is only good for 10 to 15 flights" - Bullrot. Mistreat the battery and you will get less than that. Don't over-discharge or over-charge and the (Li-Ion or LiPo) battery will last a long long time. The reality is I really don't know because I have 5 batteries for my DH9104 and none have failed or lasted a "long long" time yet.
---------

Here is a neat idea that sounds worthwhile for new brushed motors. Maybe old motors too, to clean them out.

Pure water is not a conductor of electricity (ions caused by contaminants cause water to be a conductor).

Underwater breakin for brushed motors
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579712
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 23, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
9104 to 4ch mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken59 View Post
Thought of this myself. It was mentioned the 9116 board might not be able to handle the 370 motor of the 9104. It could be worth a shot, but I am also looking up parts (new receiver, 3n1 controller, and TX. I saw a 4ch TX with receiver on hobbypartz. com for around $35, or so. Then, options are open yet for the other parts. I just don't want to by the 9116 parts and blow the board. It might be cheaper just to by the 9116 complete and give it a shot and then if the board blows, get a new board and fly the 9116 again. I did a swash plate mod, see video link earlier, and since it is a 90 degree plate, I can actually use it for a 4ch, also. I might actually be better, from what I have learned, than the set up used by DH. When you activate on servo, it will affect the other. On a 90 degree, vice 120, one movement should not affect the other. Look at at this. http://www.iroquois.free-online.co.uk/ccpm.htm

check these four links out guys

4 channels mod of the 9104 with 9116 component (0 min 48 sec)

Shuang Ma 9104 mods to 4ch test 1 (2 min 42 sec)

Shuang Ma 9104 mods to 4ch test 2 (1 min 33 sec)

Mod 3 channels 9104 into 4 channels with 9116 components (0 min 32 sec)
Last edited by michaeldepeza; Jan 23, 2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: adding links to support post
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:39 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Seen this. I think the 9104 is a great frame to build the 4ch on. Everyone seems to agree on how tough it is. I am still waiting for the replacement tail motor. I did think about the heat it generates and how that might be part of the problem. So, I went ahead and drilled holes in the housing so some heat can escape. It may help it last a little longer, but who knows. I am still searching for a good replacement (mod). Any suggestions anyone?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:41 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
The guy in the last video is using DH9116 parts to add 4th channel to DH9104.

He still has the second forward fixed link in place and swashplate is not "reversed" as on the DH9116. Using a DH9116 transmitter and a DH9116 Electronic Speed Control board and kept a screwed up swashplate configuration. All that trouble, he should have looked at a DH9116 to see how to set the mods up.

He also appears to have duct tape wrapped around his tail boom. I wound a slice of duct tape around my tail boom where I found repeated strikes from the flybar - I crash alot.

Right click photos and open on new tab to enlarge.
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 23, 2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:52 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Seen this, also. I have been doing too much research.... I can see in this design how one movement would effect the other axis. when you roll to either side, the swash will be lifting, also, so it will effect the other axis. With the 90 degree, the roll will do just that will little effect on the other axis. We will see later. Since I made the 90 degree swash, I plan on using it to convert. After the mod, and letting it test with the copter in my hand, I can definitely feel the difference in the movement. I did manage to find a 90 degree metal swash, but I am not going to pay the $30 plus right now. I might build one more and correct the center to pivot. Anybody have any extra broken swashplates I can have??????
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
4 ch transmitter

hey can someone tell me if this will work on a 3ch to 4ch conversion using the 9116 parts and possible PCB or do i have to get the 9116 transmitter?

http://www.xheli.com/walkera-wk-2403.html
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
If you look, even on Xheli, you can find a 4ch TX/RC package. Then you can find an ESky 3n1 mixer with gyro. With the ECS(PCB) on the 9116 not being as robust, it would be a safer bet to build. Servos are cheap from what I have found out. Here is a link for a build for a 4ch 9104: http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.co...4ch-t3968.html

I looked up the Esky 3n1 and it is around $20, if you can find one. So, after all is said and done, you might be able to get by under $70. Have fun!

Oh, question for the masses...... Can you run two servos off one connection? Why am I asking? Well, on a fixed pitch with my 90 degree swashplate, if I just put another servo on one side, I will get a lifting motion on the swash when it rolls, thus it will effect the other axis. If I were to put an third servo on the oposite side, but ran it on the same circut to move in the opposite direction of the other servo, then I am just pivoting and the other axis should not (in theory) be affected. Get what I am saying???
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Cancel last question on servos. My brain has finally woke up, after enough coffee. I should be able to put the servo on one side and pivot. It should be stable depending on the quality of the servo.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
Great

[QUOTE=Ken59;20522046]If you look, even on Xheli, you can find a 4ch TX/RC package. Then you can find an ESky 3n1 mixer with gyro. With the ECS(PCB) on the 9116 not being as robust, it would be a safer bet to build. Servos are cheap from what I have found out. Here is a link for a build for a 4ch 9104: http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.co...4ch-t3968.html

I looked up the Esky 3n1 and it is around $20, if you can find one. So, after all is said and done, you might be able to get by under $70. Have fun!

GREAT BRO.
you have renewed my faith in 4ch conversion.
only thing is i'm not seeing how they were all connected to the board but guess that will be provided with the parts?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken59 View Post
Can you run two servos off one connection?
+5v, Gnd, Signal - Model airplanes do it with ailerons, one on each wing.

Your brain and talents are one step short of a 5 channel. You must have considered it.

Radios - V400D02 (5ch), V370D01 (4ch), CB180D (4ch) many others that have a tail motor and two ESC's.
http://www.helipal.com/select-by-bra...licopters.html
Last edited by Ribble; Jan 24, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Jan 2012
171 Posts
4ch or 6ch transmitter?

Hey Ribble and ken 59,in the selection of new transmitter and receiver for heli upgrade etc do you think it makes sense to purchase a 4ch transmitter just for a possible mod or can a 6ch be used but just only plugging in 4channels for use on 4ch receiver in heli?

thinking of inevitable move to 6ch eventually or shoud i just purchase the quite affordable 4ch from xheli and deal with 6ch stuff if that time comes....?