Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayabusa Heli View Post
Double Horse does make a 4-channel version of the 9100 ... it's the 9116. Read all about it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1498575
Looks like it would be easier to control than the 9100/9104, but a true CP needs that third servo.
I'll look it up on Amazon... Can't never have too many helis!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:27 AM
LearningFast
United States, LA, Denham Springs
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
The 9116 has only been advertised as a single rotor fixed pitch 4ch. It will be a stepping stone to the true CP one day.
Ken59 is offline Find More Posts by Ken59
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:58 PM
Heli Mania
PNW
Joined Dec 2010
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
Looks like it would be easier to control than the 9100/9104, but a true CP needs that third servo.
I'll look it up on Amazon... Can't never have too many helis!
I missed the CP part in your first post. What you're really after then is a 6-ch CP heli. If you don't have experience with a fixed pitch 4-ch, I wouldn't recommend jumping from 3 to 6-ch.
Hayabusa Heli is offline Find More Posts by Hayabusa Heli
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Been there. Defeated there, also.
Hope springs eternal...
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
Steve
United Kingdom, Staffordshire
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Had time for a bit more testing. Its dark now so can't test in flight but have checked the antenna wire on an ohm meter and its continuous - no breaks. Have now rewound the antenna around the skid and ....hey presto....I have almost double the range on the walk test!! Battery is showing 7.6v constant and the jst connector is firmly in place. Will have to try again in the morning to see how it actually performs in flight.

One thing I have noticed is that there is very little movement in the swash plate. If I move the stick all the way up the swash tilts forward very slightly and the servo is sort of 'stuttering'. I took off the ball link and moved the swash with my finger and there is very little up & down movement from the level position - is this normal?

My digital camera stopped working couple of days ago so can't upload any pics at the minute
Chester1 is offline Find More Posts by Chester1
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Is the servo control link on the last position on the servo arm? It will give you the most movement that way. I will have my swashplates in by the end of the week, so I will be able to start flying again. My center pivot system is going to be revised as I thought of a good way while driving to a hobby shop. Basically, instead of the rods sandwiched between the frame and the canopy pegs, I am going to inlay the directly into the plastic directly below the swashplate and come directly up. I will probably drill out the plastic just big enough to put a ball link in and then glue it to create a solid structure. Then a rod will screw directly into in and the other rod link on the piece I created which will glue onto the new swashplate. The servo should have better movement once done. Pictures will be posted when done. Might work on it right know as the weather sucks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 04:28 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Chester, 7.6v is low, depending on how discharged it is. I am picky on the battery voltage because the receiver has a +5 volt regulator and with the main and tail motors running, the voltage on the Electronic Speed Control board may drop down to about 6 volts which may make the receiver less sensitive to the transmitter.

In other words, if you kept flying after the helicopter has a hard time lifting off, then the battery may be damaged from over-discharge.

At least it looks like you have reasonable range back. Make sure not to point the transmitter antenna at the helicopter while flying as that is a null point for the radio signal to the helicopter. Transmitter antenna to the side is best but vertical is more convenient.

Ken59 (message #137 in this thread) used a broken swashplate mod to center the pivot point. Stock DH9104 has the pivot forward of the rotor and has less control from the servo.

Sparky Paul did a similar mod by drilling holes on the side of the swashplate and mounted wires on each side so the swashplate pivots on the wires, also at rotor center.

I gave up and simply removed the two links forward of the rotor and taped a flat flexible plastic garbage tie on the left side of the helicopter with the top looped over the turnbuckle at the top of the servo pushrod. Puts the pivot at rotor center and gently pulls the turnbuckle to the left side (looking from rear) which causes the swashplate to tilt right - this to fix the left drift of the DH9104. I have seen some wobble on my DH9104 as there isn't much left to keep the swashplate steady.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1643866&page=2

Again, the main idea is to fix the left drift and allow more forward speed, both usually lacking on the stock DH9104.
More left drift correction mods:

jesterfester78 trimmed the tail blades
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1560838

Sparky Paul swashplate center pivot mod
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565414
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; May 05, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
More updates!

Ok, I am bored and the weather sucks, so here is the latest update. Instead of sandwiching the pivot rods between the panel connector and the frame drilled straight down through the thick plastic frame with a small hole than the threaded rod I used. This allows you to thread it into the plastic and then drop a bit of epoxy there to make sure it does not turn. We will see. You can see the adapter plate I made in the photo which will epoxy to the bottom of the new swashplate when it arrives. Maybe I just think too much and need a beer!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:45 PM
Steve
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Chester, 7.6v is low, depending on how discharged it is. I am picky on the battery voltage because the receiver has a +5 volt regulator and with the main and tail motors running, the voltage on the Electronic Speed Control board may drop down to about 6 volts which may make the receiver less sensitive to the transmitter.

In other words, if you kept flying after the helicopter has a hard time lifting off, then the battery may be damaged from over-discharge.

At least it looks like you have reasonable range back. Make sure not to point the transmitter antenna at the helicopter while flying as that is a null point for the radio signal to the helicopter. Transmitter antenna to the side is best but vertical is more convenient.
Ooops!! Probably do better if I actually did the test with the freshly charged lipo and not the one I had been flying with earlier
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:52 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Ain't that pretty!

Next we will see that on the latest DH91xx model after the Chinese copy it.

But then you already had rotor and swashplate removed and could drill straight down.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:13 AM
LearningFast
Joined Jan 2012
410 Posts
Oh, like I said, I was bored, so I took it apart and drilled it. On the edge where it was drilled is a thick rim for strength and went through it. Of course all this will be moot one day when I switch it over to the 9116 parts! But, still learning and keeping the mind working.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:15 PM
Steve
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
At last....it works!!

Had an absolutely fantastic flight today with the 9104. Perfect conditions so I stuck 10 grams of 'Blu-Tac' in the nose and launched it. Wow..! its like a different heli. The range problems have gone since I rewound the antenna round the skids and I had proper fast forward flight. Had 10 mins of zooming around until the daylight and the lipo started to fade but what a buzz. Will definitely be getting a 9116 when they become available here.

On a different note do any of you guys know if it is possible to put 2.4GHz in the 9104? I have a DX6i Tx and i came with a 6100 Rx which I have never used. Just wondering...is it do-able with not much tech.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:21 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
You need two ESCs to replace the electronics in the heli, and control the servo.
And a gyro.
And for getting other helis, look at Amazon.
The local toystore sells these things at a 100% markup!
Last edited by Sparky Paul; Jan 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:53 PM
Steve
Joined Jan 2012
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
You need two ESCs to replace the electronics in the heli, and control the servo.
And a gyro.
And for getting other helis, look at Amazon.
The local toystore sells these things at a 100% markup!
Mmm...That looks a bit too much for my abilities but worth keeping in mind. The 9116 is still not available on Amazon.co.uk. Could get one from Bananahobby .com over there in the States but shipping costs are high. Keep waiting I suppose.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:05 PM
Always, against the wind
United States, IL
Joined Oct 2011
1,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester1 View Post
Had an absolutely fantastic flight today with the 9104. Perfect conditions so I stuck 10 grams of 'Blu-Tac' in the nose and launched it. Wow..! its like a different heli. The range problems have gone since I rewound the antenna round the skids and I had proper fast forward flight. Had 10 mins of zooming around until the daylight and the lipo started to fade but what a buzz. Will definitely be getting a 9116 when they become available here.

On a different note do any of you guys know if it is possible to put 2.4GHz in the 9104? I have a DX6i Tx and i came with a 6100 Rx which I have never used. Just wondering...is it do-able with not much tech.
See what this guy did to mod to 2.4GHz. As far as the 9116 read the posts in this forum before buying!

http://www.electric-rc-helicopter.co...4ch-t3968.html
Thetis is online now Find More Posts by Thetis