Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
434 Posts
Off topic motorcycle talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by helifrek View Post
Other than the one battery, all my electronics seem to have survived. I have yet to tear the heli down but I'll get on it this weekend maybe. Crashmaster, you much live up to that name man what kind of bike do/did you have? I just got done with my motorcycle safety course last week (army required) and I should be riding this weekend if all goes well, I gotta put some mirrors on it though. time to lookup how to dispose of this lipo I put it in my kevlar bag and threw it in my grill last night, no flames yet! how can I make it explode? that'll be alot more entertaining! I promise to be careful and videotape it!

@Hugequark: looking at the second to last photo of the gear you can see a huge chunk of teeth missing. I hit the throttle hold about 70ft up and the blade had lost alot of there momentum, the heli hit pretty much on it's left side nose down. I really don't think the gear got like that in the crash. If you plan on doing anything crazy with the tail while your flying I would change em! I'm going to order another TT kit but I'll be sure to change the gears.

Note: Main gear is fine! front TT gears are also stripped.
The cycle that I had was a Suzuki Burgman 650. It was a cross between a scooter and a motorcycle. It was a great bike. I'm sure I'll miss it. It was my first accident in about 10 years of riding. I'm pretty sure I'm done with cycling though. Savannah, GA isn't filled with the best drivers and I guess it was just a matter of time before something happened. I'm going to leave the riding to you young bucks! Good luck and safe riding.

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.

Crashmaster
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
What is a plank?
Kingfisher, OK
Joined Jul 2006
225 Posts
Any input on this issue? All i can say is it pissed my GT9 gyro off (R4 light only) (then started working and had trim in it that was not there befor) Damn electric.

Hey guys what the hell is up???
Anyway, I have a 600e, hobbywing platnium pro 100 amp esc, CC pro bec, turnigy 4030 1100kv motor. The problem is, and this has happened twice, I plug in the batt and i have big blue spark and it melts the connector. The heli was setting for about 5 days since last time flown. Batt was not in it and just setting there. Come in here tonite and hook it up to ck the tail servo, big blue spark and connecter welding itself. That was on the positive side this time, last time was on neg side. I am useing deans connecters and first time i thought it was the way i plugged it in. Second time, no its not how i plug it in. No signs of connects touching at the deans connector.
Could the CC bec pro handle that much current with out dieing? Still works great..
Esc screw up and handle that current and still work fine?
I realy dont know.. It pissing me off..
It is like a direct short on your batt. But it is not at the connector.
Could the motor cause this? Dont even have time to start beeping.
I am at a loss on this one.
I have some nice burns on my hand from the metal on the connector shooting off of it..
Any input would help..
Thanks very much..
Barry
P.S. im going fishing.. f#$k it for now.. LOL
mainblades is offline Find More Posts by mainblades
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:58 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainblades View Post
Any input on this issue? All i can say is it pissed my GT9 gyro off (R4 light only) (then started working and had trim in it that was not there befor) Damn electric.

Hey guys what the hell is up???
Anyway, I have a 600e, hobbywing platnium pro 100 amp esc, CC pro bec, turnigy 4030 1100kv motor. The problem is, and this has happened twice, I plug in the batt and i have big blue spark and it melts the connector. The heli was setting for about 5 days since last time flown. Batt was not in it and just setting there. Come in here tonite and hook it up to ck the tail servo, big blue spark and connecter welding itself. That was on the positive side this time, last time was on neg side. I am useing deans connecters and first time i thought it was the way i plugged it in. Second time, no its not how i plug it in. No signs of connects touching at the deans connector.
Could the CC bec pro handle that much current with out dieing? Still works great..
Esc screw up and handle that current and still work fine?
I realy dont know.. It pissing me off..
It is like a direct short on your batt. But it is not at the connector.
Could the motor cause this? Dont even have time to start beeping.
I am at a loss on this one.
I have some nice burns on my hand from the metal on the connector shooting off of it..
Any input would help..
Thanks very much..
Barry
P.S. im going fishing.. f#$k it for now.. LOL
This is a common issue with higher voltage batteries when you connect them. RCHeli came out with a an article for building a DIY spark arrester to prevent this as most ESCs don't seem to have one built in. It was in the March 2011 Issue. Here is the article.
thenodemaster is online now Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Last edited by thenodemaster; Apr 13, 2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Found article
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Will fly for food.
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jul 2002
405 Posts
Okay, I got my linkages built. Can you guys post your linkage lengths? Don't worry about popping them off and trying to get a center to center length. If you built with the stock kit links, just go end to end and that should get everyone within a mm or two.

Oh, and I'm guessing that the guys that have their pitch servos in with with the servo wheel on the bottom will have slightly longer servo links than those of us with the servos mounted with the wheel on top.

Thanks,

Jon
Jonathan Ott is online now Find More Posts by Jonathan Ott
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2009
447 Posts
jon i just set them to the manual and then adjusted them a bit when leveling the swash...The ail sero and pitch servo i just set them so the pushrod arms were level at center stick... it sucks but its trial and error per case....
AllSpunUp is offline Find More Posts by AllSpunUp
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Dec 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodemaster View Post
This is a common issue with higher voltage batteries when you connect them. RCHeli came out with a an article for building a DIY spark arrester to prevent this as most ESCs don't seem to have one built in. It was in the March 2011 Issue. Here is the article.
Thanks for the findings of that article, need to build one for all my birds!!
nolimit1 is offline Find More Posts by nolimit1
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:47 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit1 View Post
Thanks for the findings of that article, need to build one for all my birds!!
Glad I could help.
thenodemaster is online now Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Dec 2008
77 Posts
Yes that spark gets me all the time.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodemaster View Post
It sounds like the strength of the spark is far more than the normal spark you get when connecting a battery. Especially if the connectors are welding themselves together! It sounds to me like some kind of short somewhere...either in the battery wires or in the ESC itself maybe. Do you have all three of the motor wires zip tied together? Maybe the zip ties cut the wires and is allowing them to short??? I jsut did that with the wires on my gyro.... I connect the 12s battery for the 700 all the time and it is a powerful spark (way bigger than the 6s) and even that isn't enough to weld connectors together. I have on the other hand welded them together with a 4 cell battery that got shorted....Just my two cents!
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:02 PM
Joined Dec 2008
77 Posts
use velcro on esc wires, BEC also. No shorts in the battery, it's just the high current from that fresh charge.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:03 PM
Joined Dec 2008
77 Posts
Pete, have you been to the shop, or are you there?
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:06 PM
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2009
447 Posts
flying on realflight g3.5 3d az flying....join if you can pass the word
AllSpunUp is offline Find More Posts by AllSpunUp
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:23 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Dec 2009
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit1 View Post
Pete, have you been to the shop, or are you there?
I have been there a lot lately, not today though. I am going to go down there tomorrow around lunch time. I am just wrapping up a Baron, it should be ready to fly by tomorrow
PilotPete01 is offline Find More Posts by PilotPete01
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:37 PM
What is a plank?
Kingfisher, OK
Joined Jul 2006
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotPete01 View Post
It sounds like the strength of the spark is far more than the normal spark you get when connecting a battery. Especially if the connectors are welding themselves together! It sounds to me like some kind of short somewhere...either in the battery wires or in the ESC itself maybe. Do you have all three of the motor wires zip tied together? Maybe the zip ties cut the wires and is allowing them to short??? I jsut did that with the wires on my gyro.... I connect the 12s battery for the 700 all the time and it is a powerful spark (way bigger than the 6s) and even that isn't enough to weld connectors together. I have on the other hand welded them together with a 4 cell battery that got shorted....Just my two cents!
No motor wires or batt wires zip tied together. I know the normal spark, i dont care about that, when it starts melting stuff then i worry. I dont thing the CC pro bec could do that. It must be in the esc. I will have to get another one. Damit more money.
Now if it was the motor in anyway, would it show up in other ways? I would think it would. Like frying the esc?
By the way fishing sucked too.. LOL..
Barry
mainblades is offline Find More Posts by mainblades
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:05 PM
UH-60 Blackhawk Mechanic
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Feb 2004
2,850 Posts
okie dokie..... parts list (landing gear, tail rotor grips, TT assy comes with most tail parts, main blades, canopy, main shaft, main gear, feathering shaft, tail control guides, CF stabs, lower frame plate, radius arm) and the Total is!!!! $340 big ones, plus the battery $35.
I guess I'll be ordering a whole new kit! what fun!
helifrek is offline Find More Posts by helifrek
Closed Thread