HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:07 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Build Log
Li'l Jumpin' Bean build - Brodak/Goldberg

I've been waiting for warm weather since Christmas and then had to clean up the shop and shore up the structure too. So the time is finally here.

I took the advice in the instructions and bought some drywall to use as my work surface. It looks like a good idea, but I'm bending pins trying to push them into it. Haven't flipped one and buried it into my thumb bone yet. That's a good thing. Pretty much have everything else I need, except I haven't decided what glue to use yet. I got some Gorilla brand thick cyanoacrylate. I know lots of people use wood glue, but it isn't fast enough setting for my patience. I've got some old type "airplane glue" and I started a thread asking about it, so will see what sorts of advice I get there.

I'm off now to start with step number 1, so I'll sign out with that and a picture of my virgin worktop.

Hmmm, wonder why that only shows as a link.
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 09:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
I wish you well with it , it was a fun little plane to put together .

Happy Flying
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Last edited by init4fun; Aug 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:51 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Nice one. The Black Widow is what I plan to mount on mine too. But I'm thinking of using an external tank. But I have a ways to go before I have to decide that.
Did yours do loops and stunts very well? The reason I chose this plane is so I can learn to do stunts. I hope I made the right choice.

I got stuck for an hour just trying to figure out what step #3 was trying to explain about the positioning of the W1 ribs. I finally said to hell with it and did it how it looked like it should be. So far I've been using thick CA. I hope that holds it together. Seems pretty easy to work with. I thing I'll be on a roll tomorrow when I get back to it.

I have to learn how to cover the wings. Never done that before. I've laways built planes with flat wings; Li'l Devil, Stuntman 24, simple ones like that. It came with paper, but I like the looks of the plastic like yours.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
United States, VA, Forest
Joined Nov 2009
273 Posts
You will love it. Yes, it stunts very well. I leave the gear off of my 1/2 A's. Just adds weight and causes it to flip over on landing if you fly from grass like I do. Just use a simple toss hand launch. Init4fun, do you use that big control handle on that Jumping Bean? I used big handle once. LOL Found the only way to tame them down was to use the smaller 1/2 a handles.

John
Rubbernecker is offline Find More Posts by Rubbernecker
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,844 Posts
Those are wayyy more fun/capable when you make the fuselage shorter.
So that the distance from wing trailing edge to front of elevator is 1/2 ! the distance from 'stock'
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:08 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,148 Posts
I've never had a li'l Jumpin Bean, but I have seen one flown by an experienced flier. He had no trouble with the stunt pattern. I don't recall the engine.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:49 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Hi Guys ,

First , to Rubbernecker , Yes , beleive it or not I actually do fly it with that big ol "Easyjust" handle . Ive owned that handle since the 1970s , and its the only handle ive got for the control line planes .

And to Rusty , I beleive your choice of glue will be absolutly fine for every assembly step EXECPT the Engine Mounting pieces , for those you really should use some 1/2 hour curing epoxy . Our little .049s DO vibrate a bit , and epoxy is the best glue for withstanding the Engine mounts vibration . Epoxy also has the benefit of being fuelproof , another important consideration for Engine mount duty . As to the covering , Mines covered in transparent blue Monokote , although any of the Heat shrinkable coverings should do the job (Monokote , Ultrakote , Coverite , or etc) . The paper that came with the kit (referred to in the old days as "silkspan") is a throwback to the days before we had heat shrink covering , and was applied with MANY light coats of "Aero Gloss Dope" , first clear , and then in the final desired color . As far as applying the heat shrink goes Ive got two suggestions ;

First , Down in "The Builder's Workshop" section of RC Groups , A quick search will reveal a number of threads with helpfull info on working with the shrink wrap . A must see for anyone first attempting the process

And Second , PLEASE make up a junk , practice piece of wing to get the feel for applying the covering BEFORE you try to do it to your just built plane . You ARE going to make mistakes at first , we all did when first learning to work with the stuff , and mistakes on practice pieces are not visible on your finished plane . It doesnt have to be elaborate or complex , just a simple straight practice piece with 5 or 6 ribs , LE and TE , and maybe a couple of spars , , , If youve got any scrap balsa laying around such a practice wing should only take about an hour to construct .

You mentioned also the use of an external fuel tank , , , , , I can see where it will be a bit of a challenge to fit it , there really isnt much room behind the engine mount for it .

Oh , and I almost forgot , , , , YES !!!!! Its a GREAT flyer , and will do all the stunts that any decently designed C/L plane can do . Its funny , , , I can fly my bigger stuff all day long and hardly draw a crowd , , but start up an .049 , and that familiar scream seems to attract spectators like crazy !!!! MANY people have childhood memories of the sounds of a revved up .049 , and it still brings out the kid in us all

If youve got any other questions , please feel free to ask
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:11 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Flew my Jumpin Bean with a Cox Golden Bee . It would do everything in the book . I thought it was a bit hot and flew it on 35' lines . Seal it up good around the motor mount, it get's greasy up there .

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Thanks for the interest. Looks like y'all have been posting while I've been out in the shop slaving away over the Jumpin' Bean.

I'm doing pretty good with the glue. I'll write more about it tomorrow. Right now it's 1:15 AM and I'm whipped. So here's a picture of tonight's progress. I'll be back in the morning.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbernecker View Post
I leave the gear off of my 1/2 A's. Just adds weight and causes it to flip over on landing if you fly from grass like I do.
John
I'm thinking of leaving the gear off too. I got tired of it and took it off of my Li'l Devil and she hand launched with no trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Those are wayyy more fun/capable when you make the fuselage shorter.
So that the distance from wing trailing edge to front of elevator is 1/2 ! the distance from 'stock'
Maybe when I rebuild it after it gets destroyed a couple of times. I posted a question about doing that exact same thing to my Stuntman 24 since it had snapped in 3 different places back there and there was nothing left to splint or glue to. My reply was a resounding No, it will be uncontrollable. I might try it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484 View Post
...I thought it was a bit hot and flew it on 35' lines . Seal it up good around the motor mount, it get's greasy up there .

Mike 1484
I was wondering how long my lines should be. I think that's the length I have on the Li'l Devil.

I had some glue questions, so I started a thread on that. I've been using Gorilla brand semi-thick CA,"Rubberized for impact resistance" and so far am happy with it. It's forgiving enough to allow some adjustment of positions before it sets. In a couple of places I was concerned about, I dusted the parts with a little baking soda. As I mentioned in the glue thread the only joint I have any doubts about is the leading edge where the two pieces join at the centerline. I may sacrifice some weight and re-enforce it with some epoxy and maybe a small wrap of fiberglass. And I always use 60 minute Epoxy on the motor mount.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:58 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,844 Posts
Uncontrollable? Hardly Perhaps a problem with arthritis but otherwise none at all.
Shorter moment means a much smaller diameter loop.
I lprefer the ability to do instant tiny loops.
Last time I flew my lil bean/frankenstein, I managed to achieve 13 loops in one direction then 13 loops in the other (unwind the lines) Seemed to be the limit before line friction became problematic.
These lil guys have very little 'pull' on their lines.
As to line length, Locals who run 1/2A combat use 42' Steel lines
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:42 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Uncontrollable? Hardly Perhaps a problem with arthritis but otherwise none at all.
Shorter moment means a much smaller diameter loop.
I lprefer the ability to do instant tiny loops.
Last time I flew my lil bean/frankenstein, I managed to achieve 13 loops in one direction then 13 loops in the other (unwind the lines) Seemed to be the limit before line friction became problematic.
These lil guys have very little 'pull' on their lines.
As to line length, Locals who run 1/2A combat use 42' Steel lines
That's what I want to do. I've been trying to figure out how on my Li'l Devil. I didn't know about shortening, which would be difficult on the Devil, but not the Stuntman. I'll try it on that one before I modify the Jumpin' Bean.

Unfortunately for the airframe, I tried the wrong methods of achieving this with the Devil; instead, I souped up the engine and flew a 5/4 prop. Too hot to handle. Damn thing was like flying a rocket! It's in a few pieces now, but not dead yet. I'll go back to a tamer prop when I put it back together.

Steel lines, really? I would have guessed they would be too heavy. I'll look at the hobby shop next time I visit. Unfortunately, they have no support for C/L flying.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Rusty, I've found that a 2' X 4' ceiling tile makes an excellent building board. Pins push in very easily and hold well. Try it! You'll like it!

Jim Gallagher
jimgee1@sbcglobal.net
jimgee1 is offline Find More Posts by jimgee1
Old Apr 14, 2011, 05:05 PM
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
I bet that would work better than the drywall board I bought. The Brodak booklet suggested it, but it's too hard to push pins into. I can only push them in with needle-nose pliers. I've bent a bunch of them. And I even broke a wing rib trying to pull a pin out.
Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:11 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Ive used dry-wall .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgee1 View Post
Rusty, I've found that a 2' X 4' ceiling tile makes an excellent building board. Pins push in very easily and hold well. Try it! You'll like it!

Jim Gallagher
jimgee1@sbcglobal.net
..... I still do! I find that it works great. The 2X4 cieling tile is real good, but make sure its flat. If its old, & has been up on the cieling since we were young, it might not be so flat!

About all the advice you have gotten in this thread is good, but in my opinion, theres one piece missing .....

..... get your hands on a larger engine (try to find a nice McCoy .35 red head, or better yet a Fox), ebay is a good soarse, sorta a crap shoot, but cheap, & build you a plane around 4 feet WS .....

You havent lived until you do! 1/2 A is okay, heck, its fun, I know, but until you go large, you havent really lived the C/L expiriance! (remember Jimi Hendrix: Have you ever been expirianced? well, I have .....)

Well, have fun with it, no matter what you do, Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie