HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Discussion
PowerLab 8 V2 - Safety Code 52

Can someone explain why I am getting this error "Safety Code 52 - Low volt (Replace bad pack)"? I am trying to charge a single liPo cell. MW
martinwinlow is offline Find More Posts by martinwinlow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
I guess the first thing to do is make sure you've got it connected properly. The main leads obviously go to the + and - nodes of the battery, but what may not be so obvious is that to connect to the balance tap you need to use the outer two pins on the 9-pin connector. I know a single cell doesn't require balancing, but I'm not completely sure what the PL8 will do if you try to do a high amperage charge on a single cell using a balanced preset unless you connect both the balance tap and the main leads.

The next thing to do would be to measure the voltage of the cell, maybe it is dead. After that make sure you don't have any broken wires or bad solder joints anywhere in the charging wires and connectors.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:36 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinwinlow View Post
Can someone explain why I am getting this error "Safety Code 52 - Low volt (Replace bad pack)"? I am trying to charge a single liPo cell. MW
Hi:

Please check the preset you are using to charge. In the CCS tab, look at the parameter "L.V. Restore Time". This is probably set to "None (Flag Bad Pack)".

Please set it to 3 min.

This setting is designed to support an OEM customer who requires a very stringent test of his batteries. He has multi-thousand dollar aircraft riding on the quality of his battery, so he can not take any chances.

In the Hobby, the requirements are not so high. There is likely nothing wrong with your battery. You just need to change the above setting.

We're going to alter the PL8 CCS to Error out of an R/C customer attempts to set this parameter to "None (Flag Bad Pack)".

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Apr 24, 2011, 04:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
41 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies...

@ Stevem732 - I had balancing switched off...

@ Tim Marks - right idea - wrong parameter. I had the discharge cutoff voltage at 2.6V and the 'low volt restore' set to 3.0V.

Thanks. MW
martinwinlow is offline Find More Posts by martinwinlow