SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by twmonroe, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
Discussion
ESM Mustang

Well, I have been sitting here for some time, enjoying my PZ gunfighter brushless for a couple of months now..its a great flyer BUT..

No retracts, no flaps...

So I had been checking out something a bit more...advanced. Checked out FMS, Hanger 9 and some of the other larger foamies in the electric warbirds area..but I really wanted to get away from foam to something that was a bit stronger and able to handle the occasional hard landing (read hard landing, not crash)

I've been pretty good on successful belly landings with the pz, remembering, of course, that its a park flyer and not a truly scale warbird. Don't get me wrong..the PZ is a great flyer for some fun at the local open field or park when safe to do so.

Most of the guys at my RC club are flying aircraft twice the size of the pz..and to keep up with the Jones's so to speak I've decided to go for a larger warbird.

I stumbled across troybuiltmodels.com while checking out various online outlets for large electric warbirds. People have done electric conversions for the ESM line before but I'm not sure if I'm going to go electric. because the main thing is the battery cost of trying to power an Eflite power 160 or equiv for any length of decent flying time.

Batteries would still be required to run the rx and servos on a "gasser" but not near as large. Decisions decisions. I have finally decided to make the decision of electric or gas powered once the airframe is here and I get a good close look at it. Troybuilt models has a good 26 cc gas engine (not nitro..especially at 30 bucks a gallon like it is here) but high octane pump gasoline with a little two cycle oil mixed in. Add to that a zinger 18 inch 4 blade dual pitch prop and she should scream. The same prop on an Eflight would also scream..but I think flight times would possibly be a bit longer on the gasser.

Will also use the ESM retracts designed for the mustang. Early esm retracts had issues, but the guys that have used them lately aren't reporting any problems with them and they are a good 200 bucks cheaper than robarts and come complete with all the hardware and with cnc machined wheels with bolt on hubs and hard rubber tires..perfect for flying from the grass field we fly from here. Only drawback is for some reason esm decided not to also manufacture a retracting tail wheel for the mustangs. I'll decide what to do there when the time comes. One possible solution has already presented itself and am waiting on more info from the builder of that particular mustang.

So, taking this to the almighty checkbook holder I have obtained permission to go beyond my meager allowance this month and place the order for the airframe..hopefully this week. I'll post pictures of the airframe when it arrives as I unbox it. From there I'll try to keep the blog up to date on the build.

Hopefully I won't run into too many issues. Wish me luck.

TM
twmonroe is offline Find More Posts by twmonroe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
I've got to say troybuiltmodels customer service and speed is top notch.

I paid for my aiframe today, Jeff in their customer svc stated it would take 4 days to process the order (standard time frame)..two hours later, the invoice is in my email, showing the order is packed and ready to ship. Hopefully it will ship tomorrow as I had hoped.

Its just sinking in the overall size of this aircraft..I look at my little 4 door sunfire and hope it can swallow the wing for trips to the field..might have to buy a bigger vehicle..should fit though..the trunk is huge for such a small car, the back seats fold down and I can recline the passenger seat down so it can extend into the front..at least for a bit.

up next..will decide gas or electric once I have the fuse in my hands.

TM
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:29 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
After some in depth discussion with zinger and tbm I have decided on the powerplant. Going with a DLE 30 cc gas engine and electronic ignition, sixteen inch dual pitch 4 blade zinger prop and zinger spinner. The DLE is 70 bucks more from TBM although hobby king has em listed @ 209..from what I have read and heard hk isn't an authorized dealer so I wonder if their DLE is a knock off.

TBM is also an authorized warranty and repair...

My only concern is how much more will I have to cut the cowl to get it to fit vs the 26cc. I am going to repaint it before final assembly but after test ffit. I want something that's a bit easier to see at a distance. Blue nosed 352nds have been done to death...looking more towards the boys from tuscogee. There's no red around my rc field..probably stand out better against the sky. Thoughts on that would be appreciated.

TM
Last edited by twmonroe; Apr 19, 2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 02:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
She's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. UPS has it scheduled for early delivery. I'll post photos once its here.

TM
Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:54 PM
gilbert,az
Joined Dec 2005
3,950 Posts
Hey sorry I didn't get back to you, I am an electric guy, so I am clueless of what would be a good choice of motors. Good luck on the build, I plan and checking in on your blog from time to time. I think I ready to start another esm plane this summer, maybe the T-28.
mpope1 is offline Find More Posts by mpope1