Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2011, 12:00 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Wednesday Morning seems to be the Ticket!

Happy to report that Gerry will show up Wednesday morning at Moon Port Modelers to re-maiden his new Great Planes Super Stearman.

Gerry informed me that he has replaced the Super Tiger .10 (1250Kv) with the much better selection, E-Flite 480 (910Kv) and has installed the APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 propeller and will use the 3-Cell, 1300mAH, 20C, Li-POLYs. This is the exact setup that he has used for the RED Pitts Special from NitroPlanes a few years ago.

I will be on hand to cover Video Capture!!!

Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2011, 04:52 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,337 Posts
Nice pics and vid!

Just curious guys, you mentioned using a SF prop rather than an E prop (10x7 thin E is rec.) and wondering why. Spoons draw more current typically.

I will measure my draw when I get back and report as I'm running the Rim.10.

Have fun!
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:39 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL View Post
Nice pics and vid!

Just curious guys, you mentioned using a SF prop rather than an E prop (10x7 thin E is rec.) and wondering why. Spoons draw more current typically.

I will measure my draw when I get back and report as I'm running the Rim.10.

Have fun!
MICKEL,

There is nothing wrong with the "E" or "SF" from APC. It is our experience that for lower RPM range the "SF" provides much better Thrust curve than the thinner and slender "E" propeller.

Again, both Gerry and myself has experimented with lots of power system combinations and we have noticed that the APC "SF" provides a very good mix of both Airspeed (in the "7" pitch) and thrust (usually "10" inch diameters) for a typical Park Flyer. The "E" propellers are good in the larger diameters such as 12 inches and beyond but, for some reason the smaller 10 inches "E" provides less thrust when you kill the throttle much more than when using the "SF"

Go ahead and use what you are comfortable.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
A few words on Weight!

Hi Guys!

I just came back from a friends and he has the recently "Discontinued" Great Planes Ultimate
http://www.electrifly.com/discontinued/gpma1546.html

Surprise, surprise.....take a look at what they recommend, a 950Kv Brushless outrunner motor!

..... and I picked it up and I was amazed how light it was in comparison to this Super Stearman from the same company (Great Planes).

The Ultimate has only 33.5 inch wing span and weighs many ounces less that the 36 inch wing span Super Stearman.

My friend who owns the Ultimate informed me that BALSA has gone up in price and perhaps accounts to the fact why the STEARMAN has been constructed using so much Plywood.

Again, will be heading to the RC Club in the morning to Video capture Gerry's Super Stearman with the better power system.

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 23, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:54 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Two Additional Flights Accomplished using E-Flite 480 (910Kv)!

Guys!

We were able to squeeze two Flights on Wednesday morning and before Hurricane Irene hit our coast line with heavy winds and rain. I was not able to upload the Videos until this morning during lunch time break.

You will see a more satisfied owner and RC Flyer "Gerry" after he changed out the power system from the high 1250Kv Super Tiger .10 ...to.....the E-Flite 480 (910Kv) Outrunner Brushless motor and swinging the APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 propeller.

Gerry could be heard as saying that normal cursing was around 1/2 throttle and his first flight was using his Zippy 3-Cell, 1300mAH, 20C discharge, Li-POLYs and the second flight was using my Turnigy 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 25C discharge, Li-POLY.

I took out my Astro Flight Watt meter and we measured the AMP draw, the observed was around 16.45 AMPs at half (1/2) Throttle and almost 24 AMPs at Wide Open Throttle.

Here is Gerry's 2nd Flight "Re-Maiden" of his Super Stearman:
Great Planes Super Stearman Re-Maiden 08-24-2011.wmv (7 min 48 sec)

Here is Gerry's 3rd Flight of his Super Stearman:
Great Planes Super Stearman Flight 3 08-24-2011.wmv (4 min 11 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,451 Posts
Thanks for those two videos Carlos...and for being kind enough to NOT include the last landing where I actually nosed the plane over coming in too fast LOL!!!...

It flies great...I mean not that it didn't fly good out of the box...but I think the lower KV motor and added top wing incidence gives me more enjoyable flights now...

Thanks again for the great videos...

Happy Landings!!!..

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:23 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Post Re-Maiden Pictures!

Two pictures showing Gerry, Bernie and Gerry's new Great Planes Super Stearman during Wednesday morning with the more successful re-maiden!

Gerry! You are most welcomed.

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,337 Posts
As promised:

Rimfire .10, SS-35 esc, 3s 2200 25c, 10x7e produced an input of 357 watts at 31 amps. Plenty of get up and go with approx 157 watts/lb.

When I finally fly her, I'll report.

Take care
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Aug 26, 2011, 03:58 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICKEL View Post
As promised:

Rimfire .10, SS-35 esc, 3s 2200 25c, 10x7e produced an input of 357 watts at 31 amps. Plenty of get up and go with approx 157 watts/lb.

When I finally fly her, I'll report.
Take care
Thanks for the data!

Gerry told me that he will be relocating the SS-35 (Silver Series 35-AMP) as this is exactly what he has in his model to a more Forward location up somewhere in the Cowling area to allow much more Airflow. This of course was when he had the SUPER TIGER .10 as with the APC "Slow Flyer" 9 X 6 it was observed at 29-AMPs at Wide Open Throttle. After each flight he noticed that the ESC was HOT and it was inside the FUSE in an area that did have airflow but, Gerry's thoughts are that it may not be enough airflow "or" the AMP draw is just too much with a 1250Kv motor.

Nevertheless, we are very interested in your flight Summary whenever you get a chance to fly your model.

Gerry is very Happy with the present Power System (E-Flite 480, 910Kv) and swinging the APC "Slow Flyer" 10 X 7 propeller which measured at almost 24-AMPs @ Wide Open Throttle.

Best of luck on your Maiden!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
495 Posts
Carlos,

Can you snap a picture of your park 450 setup?

Thanks
pdansalvish is online now Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Aug 26, 2011, 07:02 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Gerry is the owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Carlos,

Can you snap a picture of your park 450 setup?

Thanks
The model that I have been posting data from is my buddy's model, Gerry and he goes by 'simano' here in these threads. I wish it was MINE!
I believe he has posted in this thread yesterday.

Also, the power system is the E-Flite 480, that delivers 910 Kv as there is another 480 that delivers 1020.

If you go a few pages back you will see my motor (E-Flite 480, 1020Kv) that I offered Gerry but, he did good in selecting his with the lower Kv.

If you still need an image, I am sure Gerry would be glad to help and just send him a PM and/or e-mail from this site.

Regards,
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:24 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,451 Posts
Happy to report two more excellent flights on my Super Stearman this morning.

I had a chance to fly it off a huge concrete area we have at a local high school band practice grounds...

The first flight was using the 3S1P 2200 20C's and no wheel pants...the day was somewhat breezy but it was a non issue as it handled the wind quite well...as a matter of fact it did help keeping the landing run very short.

I went ahead and installed the wheel pants for the second flight and that one was done with the 3S1P 1300 20C's...and it does feel lighter at the controls.

Both flights were very successful and I couldn't be more please with this baby!!...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:54 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Great report Gerry,

Sorry that I had to leave earlier and I did not bring the Video Camcorder!

To get an idea of this large concrete surface area take a look at this pic as it shows how large the surface is really, my Fly Zone Sensei gets lost in it!

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2011, 07:18 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,697 Posts
Just ordered one from Tower. Although I've been downsizing my fleet, this is one model I always wanted in park size, so . . .

I think it's great that they didn't design it for a Rimfire 3-leg mount motor.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Last edited by Park_Flyer; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:53 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,881 Posts
Park Flyer,

Love that Avitar Picture you have there!

Looks like a Mad Scientist at work!
RCG Plus Member