Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon444 View Post
I was lucky I had at least 10 high definition videos to analyze my takeoff and landings and I noticed the plane crabbing to the left and to the right on take off which rules out torque. I think the short fuselage is also hypersensitive with rudder.it's been cut back for its next test flight. but the sensitive down elevator after pullout even looked like a glitch. down elevator is now less as well waiting for test flight.

thank you for reading

Please share your videos with us as I am very interested in watching and comparing our results from today!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2011, 07:57 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano View Post
Overall I'm pleased with the results from this morning.

The plane flies very true and has some heft that helps during breezy conditions.

Some observations:

It tends to pitch down when throttle is increased in flight. Not much but enough to be noticed...

When cutting the throttle it glides very well...

The mtoro is pulling around 30 amps wide open...I'll go with a 9X4.7 next to getthat down some.
Gerry!

I have a Park Zone 480 in my drawer and very good condition and ...

Most importantly a quality E-Flite Park 480 Outrunner Brushless brand new in the box!!!

Motor Kv= 1020
Weight = 3.1oz.

Let me know if you are interested!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2011, 08:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Update on Alternative Motor / ESC.

My Buddy, Gerry called to say that he appreciated the offer but, that he had a PITTs Special that had the lower 910Kv E-Flite 480 and he was going to remove it from the PITTs along with a 40-AMP ESC because he has not flown nor will he fly the PITTs for sometime.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLM1500

Also, he told me that he took off the N struts on the SUPER STEARMAN and will provide the same incident angle as that of the bottom wing for the Top wing. He suspects that the Negative incidence is making the model pitch down under high throttle.

More to come!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 20, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,069 Posts
I am really wondering what PittSpecial will think of flying the PKZ SE5a , because it flys like its fully loaded with fuel , bomb racks full and gun mags full also . Its a heavy plane like the Super Stearman .
I really really like my PKZ SE5a , but it does fly heavy .
wattman is online now Find More Posts by wattman
Old Aug 20, 2011, 10:16 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
I am really wondering what PittSpecial will think of flying the PKZ SE5a , because it flys like its fully loaded with fuel , bomb racks full and gun mags full also . Its a heavy plane like the Super Stearman .
I really really like my PKZ SE5a , but it does fly heavy .
Really? You don't say?

I have seen the Park Zone S.E.5a fly at my club and can say that it is a very nice scale looks and it was flown scale like.

I am sure that the PARK ZONE S.E.5a does not pull 29 AMPs of Current when trying to fly....correct?

some people..
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:08 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
No Motor Specifications listed for the RIMFIRE!

Guys,

I looked and looked and could not find any listed Motor Parameters for the recommended RIMFIRE motor that Great Planes recommends for this model. As a matter of fact if you look at the RIMFIRE site there is no motor parameters / specifications what so ever in order to estimate how many AMPs it will pull given a certain battery / propeller selection.

Here is the Tower Hobby Page showing the RIMFIRE:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLWU0&P=M

The instruction manual does not show any motor parameters as well except general mounting methods etc...
http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmg4590-4655-manual.pdf

Finally, the ELECTRIFLY page also does not have any motor parameters as well:
http://www.electrifly.com/motors/gpmg4505.html

Please, if anyone else has this model and measured the AMP draw assuming using the recommended RIMFIRE motor then, please share with us here....

Seems like the person who had posted earlier in this thread came back and edited his postings for some reason and left the thread?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2011, 06:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon444 View Post
don't forget to use differential aileron.it makes the airplane more efficient you can use it on everything but especially biplanes

Good luck I'm gone
Yeah okay, so long
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Here are some changes I did on mine:

1) Replaced the motor with an E-Flite 950 KV 480. I had this motor in a retired Pitts Special so no cost added here. It will swing the same APC 10X7 slow flier prop I flew the Pitts with many times.

The current draw won't be more than 18 amps. with this setup and it will fly it with authority.

2) Unscrewed the "N" struts since I noticed they were pulling the top wing down some bowing it and adding unnecessary twist to the outboard section of the wings. I will add a small extension to them to be screwed back to the wings.

3) Added two washers to the two front strut top wing mount to remove the small amount of negative incidence present before.

With the 1500 mah 20 3S1P battery fully forward it balances on the spot recommended.

Will fly again Saturday so, I will report results...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Aug 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Gerry,

Wonderful news and glad you decided on changing out the motor to a more sensible Kv, lower than 1000 Kv to allow for additional Torque and the prize is that you will be able to use a larger propeller with respectable pitch for good airspeed. Great news on the C-of-G as well.

I believe that the lower Kv E-Flite 480 is rated at 910Kv.

I will be ready and willing to repeat any assistance next weekend!

Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Aug 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:58 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Yes it is 910 KV..wow that's even better!!...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:00 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Carlos, I'm actually considering flying tomorrow morning at Moonport since the forecast for the weekend is...hurricane for this area!!!..

I hope you can join in the morning!!!!

Gerry.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simano View Post
Carlos, I'm actually considering flying tomorrow morning at Moonport since the forecast for the weekend is...hurricane for this area!!!..

I hope you can join in the morning!!!!

Gerry.
Hi Gerry,

This is to let you know that I received your Voice Mail saying that you are not being to be able to fly on Tuesday morning because of some family matter you need to take care of.

No problem Gerry, I had thought that Saturday would be ideal but, considering the dang Hurricane situation it may need to be before or after I guess.

Let me known if your plans change and can still make it on Tuesday or another day before Friday.

Regards,
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
Jungmeister 55
Joined Sep 2002
3,453 Posts
Sure, let's talk about it at work tomorrow skybro...
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:32 PM
Burlington, NJ USA
Joined Apr 2001
425 Posts
I was excited to see this at first, until I saw it was made of wood and not EPO.
bfaulguy is offline Find More Posts by bfaulguy
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaulguy View Post
I was excited to see this at first, until I saw it was made of wood and not EPO.
It be hard pressed to find a Great Planes made of EPO Foam except just recently they did come out with this one made of foam and it supposed to be a mild Sport RC Airplane Flyer (Super Sportster): CHECK OUT THE VIDEO!!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVPG&P=ML

or

http://www.electrifly.com/largeelectrics/gpma6006.html
RCG Plus Member