http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVGV&P=7
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:17 PM
Evansville Dress Reg., Indiana, United States
Joined Jun 2004
1,096 Posts
Yes its really nice looking and a great additional biplane offering BUT ,
why is the wing loading so high compared to the almost same sized biplanes in the WW1 series , the WW1 bipes are somewhere in the 7.5 - 9.7 oz/sq"
wing loading , and the Super Stearman is listed as 14 - 17 oz/sq"
THATS HEAVY
wattman is offline Find More Posts by wattman
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:23 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
501 Posts
Another problem I have with the plane is the recommend servos, which are Futaba S3114 Micro servos.
pdansalvish is online now Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Apr 12, 2011, 06:33 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdansalvish View Post
Another problem I have with the plane is the recommend servos, which are Futaba S3114 Micro servos.
Why would that be an issue? It's an 8 gram servo. You can use any servo you want.

Electrifly will always recommend Hobbico stuff.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,096 Posts
I have the Futaba S3114 servos in about 5 of my planes , they are 7.8 g , and 20 oz/in of torque at 4.8v , so far they have been good for me here .
Old May 10, 2011, 10:30 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Yes its really nice looking and a great additional biplane offering BUT ,
why is the wing loading so high compared to the almost same sized biplanes in the WW1 series , the WW1 bipes are somewhere in the 7.5 - 9.7 oz/sq"
wing loading , and the Super Stearman is listed as 14 - 17 oz/sq"
THATS HEAVY
2.75 lb auw vs 21 - 26oz for their WWI series would be my guess
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old May 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Niiiiiice. Very nice. It only needs a wing-walker and/or smoke cartridge upgrade kit. I think a Waco UMF or Curtiss P6-E in the same scale would also be really sweet.

Great Planes/Electrifly and E-Flite both seem to build kind of heavy... perhaps due to their gasser roots. The E-Flite Stearman also seems about 25% heavier than necessary, but it actually is very rugged and penetrates the wind nicely this way, while still having a sufficient glide for dead-stick landings.

So now my wife has instituted a "one-in, one-out" hangar policy. What will I have to sell to make room for this one?
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 11, 2011, 10:25 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
The only think I don't like about The Electrifly planes is that you are stuck using their Rimfire motors. I have two Rimfire .10 motors and they are a bit disapointing. I'm sure it will fly the plane but a 2217/12 AXI would be ideal for that plane. The problen is the motor mount has to be completely kluged to get a different manufacturers motor in there.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:18 PM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
AUW on mine is 35.2 oz, with a wing loading of 13.91 oz./sq. ft. It's a nice model, and goes together fairly smoothly. Hoping to fly it this Sunday.
Fw 190 fan is offline Find More Posts by Fw 190 fan
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,159 Posts
Post some more pics... both before, and in-flight. I haven't seen a whole lot else about this plane... it's not advertised very well.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
The only think I don't like about The Electrifly planes is that you are stuck using their Rimfire motors. I have two Rimfire .10 motors and they are a bit disapointing. I'm sure it will fly the plane but a 2217/12 AXI would be ideal for that plane. The problen is the motor mount has to be completely kluged to get a different manufacturers motor in there.
Permit me to fix my own thread. Courtesy Of Old Guy is this really cool way to mount almost any motor you want in an Electrifly airframe.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460139
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 08:15 AM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
As soon as I get the photos, I will. Flew it on Sunday and it flies great!!! Plenty of power, and it moves along pretty quickly with that 10x7 APC churning away up front at 1/2 throttle. Control throws seem a bit conservative, but there's plenty there to flip it around the sky, not quite in 3D fashion, though.

The stall is akin to a gentle falling leaf, and it spins beautifully, with the rotation stopping as soon as the sticks are released. Overall, very stable at all speeds, and it is very easy to land. The takeoff required a little more right rudder than anticipated.

And, the best part: no added weight was needed to help balance it. ElectriFly did a great job in getting the calculations on this one right on the money. The battery is almost all the way forward, and if you want a more aft CG, there is plenty of room to move it back.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
16 Posts
Super Stearman in flight

Here is a flight shot that could be snuck out for all to see.
Old Aug 04, 2011, 07:37 PM
Every flight is a maiden!
USA, CA, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2007
880 Posts
I just picked up this kit. It looks like the motor mount box can accept any kind of motor so you're not limited to just rimfire. I'm impressed with the detail in this plane. I'm going to use the recommended servos S3114's I've use them before and they have been good to me so far...

I don't have the rimfire motor, I may go with an e-flight 480. I may have an Axi that might work. I'm a little concerned about the KV difference between the park 480 and the rimfire (1020kv vs. 1250.) I have time to decide, mounting the motor is the last step in the build.

Lots of nice touches like the pilots already mounted and the instrument panels already installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpin View Post
johnm15141 is offline Find More Posts by johnm15141
Last edited by johnm15141; Aug 04, 2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Just looked at AUW weight, a park 480 won't cut it....
Old Aug 04, 2011, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,096 Posts
Nice inflight photo , sure hope you guys post some videos . Its a beautiful plane .