HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 27, 2011, 07:34 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
More progress.
I decided to mount a 5 to 6 pound balast below the keel and reduce the balast in the keel by that amount.
The idea is that having the ballast as low as possible, should reduce the amount of ballast, she should ride higher with less ballast, wich would be good and I have to compensate for a larger sail surface.
I formed a piece of foam, made a gypsum form.
Once the lead ist pured, I will drill 2 holes through it, for stainles machine bolts. Than I slaped a thick layer of bondo on it and press it on the hull befor it cures. The hull will be covered by foil.
Should give me a nice fit once I remove it. Than sand the thing. Drill through the keel, install thread studs in the keel, seal everything waterproof inside the hull.
If I take the weight of the outside ballast of the inside ballast, that ballast gets lower inside the hull.

So while the gypsum form ist backing in the oven I preped the hull for primer and primed it.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2011, 10:03 PM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Wow Guenther,
that looks impressive. It looks like this boat will be ready for the September sail fest.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Aug 29, 2011, 08:51 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Yesterday I recasted the ballast and made the external ballast.

I have one little problem with the guy I ordert the masts from. He got payed 4 weeks ago and tells me every week the masts are on the way, just 2 days with the mail, it takes 3 or 4 e-mails to get an answer. I guess the guy is a fraud.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 09:03 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I am geting to the point were I have to fill that bathtub and chek the balance of this thing and establish a waterline.
yesterday I checked out if primer and paint like each other. I am sticking with rost oleum brand, primer and paint like each other.
I will Ed, , the paint afterwards.

Randy, I have no idea if she will be ready to sail in 4 weeks. I have nothing inside the hull, no servos, no nothing no hardware installed on the deck.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:11 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I did not fill the bathtub, would have been a waste of water and water is more worth to me than beer, that says a lot.

So I filled a horse water tub I use for catching rain water from the pond. I can use it later to water my plants.

The exterior weight is already enough to keep the hull stabel.

From my experiance with the Atlantis I knew that I had to cut out the interior ballast at the rear and use that lead in the front.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:23 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
I meant your other boat, sorry.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 10:54 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Randy I will bring the Fat Lady and if I have some room the Voodoo for show and tell.

Last 2 days I did swing the paint brush, picasso style. It turned out pretty good.
Now I have to built a new stand, the construction stand is not ment for painted hulls.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:29 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Those colors look astounding! They are the same ones I'm going to use on my Canterbury J boat. OK, the sails will be different! It's so funny to see your sailboat in a horse watering trough!

Randy
Old Sep 02, 2011, 06:50 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Hihi, Randy I could fill my bathtub, but than I would have to waste that water and that is drinking water that I have to haul from 10 miles.
You know, that kinde liquid is a very close second to beer, when it comes to wasting.
I have to read up on Ed's thread about that colour sanding stuff. When I got that, 2 or 3 layers of clear coat, than again Eding it.
I will give the paint a week to cure, before I do that. I still got my test board, so I can check out if the clear coat will like the colour coat.

By the way, how is your leg.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 07:56 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
a few more show of pics,
Old Sep 02, 2011, 09:52 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
I like your PVC cradle. The color looks good , also. It's funny, here they say,"whiskey is for drinkin' and water is for fightin'!" The paint looks good on the hull. Will it have a waterline stripe? The leg is getting better, I'll still be on crutches at the sailfest. We will have a "special" refreshment at the sailfest also. Möchten sie warsteiner Bier?
Old Sep 03, 2011, 09:18 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,804 Posts
The hull is looking good. That PVC stand is very creative, I like it. Sorry to hear about the mast problem I hope it gets resolved.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 03, 2011, 11:12 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Nice...
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Sep 17, 2011, 09:39 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
The masts came in and they are of a great quality. I am very pleased.
I can recomend, but expect a very long time for delivery, call it shi ..tty, but price and quality are great.

I finished the on board part of the Kluever, blued the brass. I intend to use a stainless 4mm rod as core for the Kluever and sleeve it with a brass pipe to which I will solder all the bracings.

First time with clear coat, first I checked the clear on my test board and than sprayed the rudder and the external balast. It worked great. It gives the paint some depth and extra gloss.

Before I do the hull I have to test the vinyl automotive white strip for the waterline if the vinyl will handle the clear coat.

As of now I can only recomend the Rust-Oleum, the primer, paint and clear coat like each other and are easy to use.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:10 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I finished the paint job on the hull, waterline strip and a thin strip at the very top and than clear coated everything, steering servo installed, now I can start with all the fittings on the deck. first I built the rear attachment for the rear shroud.