6,460 Posts
That boat is looking sweet!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2011, 06:41 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,856 Posts
Nice looking hull, I like the modification of the bow and stern.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old May 02, 2011, 08:56 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
thanks guys,

We take a lot of things for granted, juniper makes good fence poles and a very nice smelling firewood.
Junipers in our area a old, very old, a 12 to 18 inch juniper is probably a couple of hundred years old.
I have no idea if those extraordinary colours in the wood are a result of the soil and growing conditions, dry and altitude.

I found out that the natural bleaching of unprotected juniper will change the colouring to a more brownish tone, the overal rose will stay.

A nother wood that I think is very interesting is Rushian Olive, it goes from white to blakish brown. This tsuff was introduced to the west in the 1900.
It grows like a weed were ever there is water. I have to do a black ops in the reservation and cut down one of those suckers.
Schrott is online now Find More Posts by Schrott
Last edited by Schrott; May 02, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old May 02, 2011, 09:28 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,358 Posts
Ha ! Now I am more determined than ever to "help" the neighbor drop his tree ! Thanks for the visuals. Instead of boat planks, I see some other sort of fine arts woodworking in the tree's future.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old May 03, 2011, 10:53 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
Operation Schneewitchensarg

With all the stuff I put on that tub, she aint going to fit into my car any more fully rigged. I like to get to the lake and just dump it into the water.
So now I had to find a way to haul her around, in the future.
My biggest concern was the balast inside the hull, if unsurported it would, could or what ever, do some damage to the ABS hull.
Since I had some ply lying around I built the schneewitchensarg. The idea, wrap the hull in foam set it in the box and than use high expansion foam out of the can to fill out the left over space.
If that works I should have a nicely fitting form to suport the hull threw all the pumps of the road and I can put the whole catastrophy in an enclosure on a little trailer.
By tomorrow afternoon I should know, if I screwd up or if I got a nice transportation box.
Old May 04, 2011, 10:53 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,358 Posts
Be very careful with the foam - if it expands it could "crush" the hull. Do a little at a time and maybe fill the hull with water to counter the expanding foam.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old May 04, 2011, 12:59 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
Thanks for the advice.
I finished to foaming this morning and as of jet the hull is still in one piece.
Old May 06, 2011, 10:13 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
so yesterday I got my best kitchen knife out and trimmed everything that was not needed of and lifted the hull out of the form.
It worked very nice and when I put the hull back in I had a very nice tight fit.
Since the foam is not uv resitened, I will have to put a lid on it, 1/4 ply should do it
I found in my junk yard some old trailer pieces, front part of an inline horse trailer, should make a nice base for a boat hauling trailer.
Old May 07, 2011, 10:40 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
I finished the rough out of the schneewitchensarg.
As usual things don't go the way as you have planed, especialy if it is the first

But overal I am pleased with the result and I think it will do the trick.
Old May 10, 2011, 04:06 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
Today I did some cooking, on the menue was a sweet lead stew called balast.
I had from the tire guys around 30 pounds of lead, which I melted down and poured into the form.
I always like that part, lots of fun.

The result turned out to be pretty nice, I just have to smooth it out and cut a few slices out of so I can change the destribution of the weight in order to balance the tub.
Old May 11, 2011, 09:50 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
After sanding and taking some ruff spots of the balast I attached a handle and than checked how it fits.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:17 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,372 Posts
Very interesting.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old May 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
Now it gets kinde interesting, I have to find masts, I can get the original robbe masts, but lets say with freight it gets a little expensive.
I would like to stay with alumium masts, the Atlantis masts are 54 inches tall, ovall shaped with a groove to slide the sails in.
Were can I get something like that.
Old May 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
Now it gets kinde interesting, I have to find masts, I can get the original robbe masts, but lets say with freight it gets a little expensive.
I would like to stay with alumium masts, the Atlantis masts are 54 inches tall, ovall shaped with a groove to slide the sails in.
Were can I get something like that.
http://www.ludwigrcyachts.com/spars.htm
martin richards is online now Find More Posts by martin richards
Old May 12, 2011, 05:39 PM
Kraut
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,591 Posts
Thanks Martin
very useful

That is 1/2 the price of Robbe masts.