Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:51 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Build Log
Voodoo Child

Last fall I bought a Robbe Atlantis kit on e-bay. It is old, 83 or so. By the looks it had been sitting some in the attic. Spider webs and sud from a wood stove came with it. The kit was kinde complet only the masts, the sails and the gunwall was missing.
I already have one Atlantis and since the kit was incomplet I felt I could do some freelancing.
Baisc idea to keep her as a 2 master, less baroque cabins more slik and racing style, no gun wall.
I always loved those very beautifull pointed bows of the J-Classes, just sexy and racy.
Maybe a bow sprite, a very good maybe, jib and 2 more pieces of laundy, mhmhmh. I love those Grand Banks, when they have all that laundry up front.

I am thinking of changing the tail, too. Extend it, round it, let it come up towards the deck, not stubby as it is now. A sexy front needs a sexy butt.

Mast is easy, Robbe spare parts. I will keep them full length, that is about 4 to 6 inches more than on the Atlantis.
Need to order them, mark in the right ear lope.
Sails, I will think about that part later, far later.

I started with the tub, first I had to get all the sud and dirt of her. Gave the girl a nice bubble bath. Than it was time for surgery. Bow first, the nose job.

I cut ot of ply the center rib and glued it with some epoxy to the hull. Than I reinfoced the glue section with PC-7. She had a bullet whole from a pirat attack, just at the main cabin, PC-7 took care of that.
Than I cut out of a foamboard the shape of the extended deck. Glued it to the deck. That gave me the outlines of the fill in.
Next I cut some plastic strips to fill in the groove for the original gunwall, CAed those in and filled the gaps with PC-7.
24 hours later the black stuff had cured and it was time to get the bondo out and modell the nose.
That worked out pretty good and I was rather please when I took the foam board. The nice thing about that bord ithas paper on both sides. What ever stuck to the bondo, could be desolved easyly with water and left a perfectly smooth surface.
Sanding was axel grease. I used a straight edge to make sure that the edition would follow the orginal kurving and to get both sides as close as possible.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
Last edited by Schrott; Aug 07, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
some more pics
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:36 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
A gun wall? Are you planning on targeting the competition? :P
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Apr 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
jup, 44 casual
Old Apr 15, 2011, 08:36 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
since I gave the lady a new nose, she demanded a new butt. I got the idea from a picture from a yacht from the 50th, realy long and rounded, letting the line of the bottom of the tub flow all the way to the end. Very stylish and elegant.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:12 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,252 Posts
Nice work, kind of looks like a YankeeIII.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:15 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Millertime very sweet tub, love it.

I basicly finished the butt job, it just needs now some glazing putty.

Next will be the ribs inside, as I did on my Atlantis and the rudder.

Luckily I kept the plug for the lead, which I will do next week.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:40 AM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2008
987 Posts
Nice butt job, looking good.
1967250s is offline Find More Posts by 1967250s
Old Apr 16, 2011, 10:17 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,252 Posts
New nose job, and butt lift.
I like it.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:05 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Made up my mind about planking the deck.
Mapel with an outside plank of teak.
As usual I odered my planks from Wayne Cantin, he does a grat job at a great price.
Naturally I am flying by the seat of my pants. Which means I do not know duddly, what I am doing.
So I styled the front cabin.
Basic I dea, follow the line of the bow. Since I intended to have a kluever, I want he bow, the kluever and the front cabin to be one design unit. It has to flow together.
The cabin I built will match the kluever, the kluver will look like a extencion, I hope.
Now I have to match the bow tip to the kluever.
I have no idea how long that kluver will be at the end.
Are ther any design rules
Old May 02, 2011, 11:15 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I started the forward hatch and planked it with juniper. The colours of that wood has always intrigued me, so I gave it a shot.
Old May 02, 2011, 11:44 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,020 Posts
Is the juniper available in "boards" where you are - or did you drop a tree and mill your own? Looks pretty.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old May 02, 2011, 12:58 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I got my stiehl out and choped a dead branch of and than cut the planks out of it. The branch has some really wild colouring inside, from purple to rose to white and some brown.
It does not show on the pics that well, maybe it will be better on the pics once it gets varnished.
Old May 02, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Jan 2010
215 Posts
Talk about recycling and living green! Very impressive. Also, I love the view from your shop....OH TO DREAM>

Brian
RG-sailor is offline Find More Posts by RG-sailor
Old May 02, 2011, 02:13 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott View Post
I got my stiehl out and choped a dead branch of and than cut the planks out of it. The branch has some really wild colouring inside, from purple to rose to white and some brown.
It does not show on the pics that well, maybe it will be better on the pics once it gets varnished.
I have a neighbor that is going to drop a Juniper this summer that is about 30 feet tall and about 8 inches in diameter. I think I may need to have a "talk" with him, grab some of the wood, and have my son's father-in-law cut some rough-sawn boards. Will stack in the garage and see if they air dry quickly - or if they stay green for a while.

I appreciate your information and never thought to look at the wood and it's colors from a Juniper. Thank you for sharing
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.