HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:38 PM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
735 Posts
Discussion
Sherwin Wms water base paint Question

I was watching TV (Chop Cut Rebuild) & they painted a Corvette they were working on with Sherwin Williams water base paint. It got clear coated and looked really good, even black. Anyone here know if this paint would be more friendly for the home modeler to spray? Pluses, minus's? I'd really like to try spraying my models with something other than latex. Its ok on my warbirds, but on my pattern planes i want something glossy.....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2011, 07:07 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,214 Posts
Most auto paint stores will carry a line of waterborne automotive paints. Go to one, and ask questions.

My local store, is very helpful, and even interested in what I do with their products. If you locate a good store, you should get the information that you need.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Apr 13, 2011, 05:41 AM
Wilson NC 27896
Joined Apr 2009
735 Posts
OK, will do. I just thought by now someone on here may have had some experience with it & could give a heads up....Gene
gene6029 is offline Find More Posts by gene6029
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
501 Posts
You could try spraying Nelson paint..
It's a water based polyurethane that is glow and gas prof with the cross linker added.
I haven't done it yet but I will spray some in a week or two..
So far I've just been brushing it on.
Even brushed the colors have a good gloss.. even better with the clear coat (so I'm told).
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Battery Junkie
Athens, GA
Joined Apr 2004
1,265 Posts
One can get pretty amazing results by spraying water-based paint.

Here's a foam/fiberglass Telemaster that a buddy built a few years back:

wrenwright is offline Find More Posts by wrenwright