Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by leccyflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:41 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,456 Posts
Discussion
Best day of the year so far - more next weekend please!

Had a cracking day at the field yesterday - in fact the best day of the year so far. Saturday was very windy, but sunny and warm, but Sunday was superb with no more than a gentle breeze more or less straight up and down the strip. So I thought I'd add the day to the blog to serve as a reminder, for when the winter comes around again.

With a couple of repairs done to favoured airframes it was an opportunity to try those out. The Aerowatt had been remotored, after having blown a phase on her Twister 60 with some new lipos that were just a shade too much. bench testing showed that the replacement (identical) Twister 60 was pulling 54 amps at full throttle, which proved too much for the motor. Not that I use full throttle on the Aerowatt anyway, since she'll climb near vertical on less than 1/2 throttle

Had a few really good flights, but I think I'll keep the newer pack for another model and stick to using the older pack that has worked so well. There's plenty of life left in it, the cells are perfectly balanced and I'm using less than half of the capacity for a decent length flight.

Still got a vibration/judder/flutter problem on the little E-Flite MiniEdge 540. Only comes on at a certain throttle setting - about 80% - and after eliminating flutter on the control surfaces as a cause, have decided that it's the motor making the noise. Unfortunately it's proved impossible to replicate the problem on the ground - the motor runs perfectly. More troubleshooting needed and maybe a motor stripdown.

Got lots of flights in with the Tucano and thinking that she's the best candidate for a camera installation for next weeks fun-fly. I might even have a duplicate canopy that I could make up a camera pod from. I'm really enjoying this bring-and-buy find.

Also flew the Balsacraft Bearcat and FW190 off the dolly. The Bearcat gets up in about 20 feet, but te FW-190 stays on the dolly across the whole 50m width of the field, lifting off at the last moment, even though going much faster than the Bearcat. Must be something to do with the different "sit" on the dolly, but the Butcher Bird needs full up elevator to come unstuck. Both are really good fun in the air though, doing the usual fun-fighter moves of long sweeping diving attack runs and multiple victory rolls. Bliss!

My flying pal Peter gave his O/D De Havilland Vampire EDF here first outing of the year and he's solved the difficulties with ESC cooling that he'd encountered on going to 7s1p 5000mah lipos last year. The model flew like a dream and looked brilliant against the bright blue sky with wisps of alto cirrus and the occasional contrails. Wish I'd had the video camera with me.

There was a good turn out, with lots of entertaining flying going on and a rare occurrence of our club Senior and Junior flyers of the year on the flight line at the same time. Peter is the second oldest flyer in the club - and has been flying R/C for over 50 years, whilst Kim See the third youngest, and has been flying for less than a year. It was great t see Peter flying his usual hooligan-style turnround aerobatics whilst Kim-See was flying 3D aerobatics with her helicopter.

Anyway, just a couple of snapshots of the start of the day - showing the fleet of the day and just getting set up. Too busy flying to get the camera out of the bag for the rest of the day.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:57 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,456 Posts
Think I've solved the Mini Edge problem. The motor mounting screws, fixing the motor to the radial mount, had all backed off,just enough to give a small amount of play. Acid test will be in the air.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer