SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2003, 02:40 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
newbie.ish glider setup wanted please

Ok all i just purchased a second hand Weston Magic moulded sailplane. Question is.........it has a v-tail (2 servos) and flaps and Ailerons in the wing (4 servos). I am confused as to what way to connect these to the reciever and also what mixes would you suggest i programme into my radio.........Any help greatly appreciated.................Cheers from Ireland
thesnapper is offline Find More Posts by thesnapper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2003, 03:01 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
It depends on the transmitter you plan to use. The fine points depend on which airfoil your Magic uses. You should also give us some idea of your intentions for this plane. The set up for slope flying doesn't have to be a complicated as for winch launch or hand towing. Some flyers prefer to manually compensate for adverse yaw and some prefer to use a combination of aileron differential and rudder mixed to the ailerons. Is a high roll rate important to you or not?
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Aug 14, 2003, 03:10 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
No a high roll rate is not important, i want it suitable for me as i am relatively new to sloping. I have a Futaba FF6 radio........cheers......ps not sure about the aerofoil
Old Aug 14, 2003, 09:23 PM
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Joined May 2002
390 Posts
The Magic came with either a 9% or a 6% airfoil, as I recall - close-up of the wing root would help to identify which you have. The 9% is easy to fly (I have one), the 6% had a reputation for being much more demanding, at least for thermal flying. I found it liked a lot of differential, and even then the roll response was pretty sluggish at low speed.

What mixing capabilities does the FF6 have?
jgleigh is offline Find More Posts by jgleigh
Old Aug 14, 2003, 10:11 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
The six channel radio will require that the flaps be put on the same channel with a Y-connector. Use the throttle channel for flaps. Mix the flaps to down elevator. The mixing ratio for flaps to elevator has to be determined by flight testing at a safe altitude. Do not attempt to use flaps for landing untill you have properly adjusted the mixing ratio.

Use the rudder and elevator channels for the V- tail with mixing in both directions. You will probably need twice the travel for rudder effect (yaw) as for elevator effect (pitch). You will have to experiment with which side of the V-tail goes with which channel and with the direction of travel for these two channels to get the V- tail to operate correctly.

One aileron servo will go to the aileron channel and the other to an auxiliary channel. The aileron channel should be mixed to the auxiliary channel 100%. Set the ailerons up for about twice the up travel as down travel. If you don't have enough mixes to put the ailerons on seperate channels then the servos can be connected to the receiver aileron channel with a Y-connector. In this case the aileron differential must be achived by means of the mechanical linkages to the aileron servos.

If your transmitter doesn't have all the mixes required for the above setups they can be achieved with on board mixing circuits between the receiver and the servos. There are other possible arrangements than jus those mentioned above.

Optionally, you can mix aileron to rudder effect to make coordinated turns easier if your transmitter has enough mixing capability. Usually a seven or more channel radio is required to get all the mixing you might want for crow, flapperons, launch presets, trailing edge camber control, etc. for thermal competition.

A word of caution: If any of the mixes are turned on or off by a switch on the transmitter, you have to be vigilant that the switch is in the correct position to avoid loss of control. A good habit to form is a thorough preflight check of all control functions for all flight modes with particular attention to mixing before every launch. Also, train yourself to hold the transmitter so that accidently bumping a mixing switch is unlikely. The pilot work load can be very heavy for this kind of model. Take the time to develop your flying reflexes for the basic controls before you venture into the more complex aspects of flying this plane. If you have the 6% thick airfoil, keep the airspeed up so as to avoid tip stalls.
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Last edited by Ollie; Aug 15, 2003 at 09:25 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 08:45 AM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
thanks Ollie

Thanks Ollie and guys for some really helpful information, its people like you who make the Lifezone a great source for information.

Ok here is some more information. The FF6 has the following mixing options

Flaperon, Flap Trim, Airbrake function, V tail mixing, elevon mixing, Aileron-rudder mixing, flap elevator mixing

I have also posted a pic of the wing chord so you might be able to indentify it.

Also the previous owner has added a futher 10 mm to the Vtail using carbon..im assuming this is for more response.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:43 AM
Manassas, Virginia, United States
Joined May 2002
390 Posts
That looks like the 9% version. Should go nicely in light to moderate air on the slope.

You will need to activate the V-tail mixer (duh!) - that should be channels 2 (elevator) and 4 (rudder). As Ollie said, use a Y-connector to drive the 2 flap servos from channel 3. Try to get a full 90 degree down deployment on the flaps - it will help a lot with landing. You will also need to mix in quite a lot of down elevator with the flap - otherwise you will have a vicious pitch-up as the flaps are deployed. Probably use the airbrake function for this. With full flap, you should have about a 30 degree nose down attitude in flight.

Ailerons will be on - what? - channels 1 and 6? Make sure you have at least 2:1 differential (more up than down) - even 3:1 may be better. The Magic will tip stall nastily if you get it too slow. I would not bother with aileron-rudder mixing initially - V-tail rudders have adverse roll coupling, and I always found my Magic a bit sluggish in roll, especially at low airspeeds.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
jgleigh is offline Find More Posts by jgleigh
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:54 AM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Thanks jgleigh, i am just waiting on a couple on Hitec HS81mg servos to come through in the post...........thanks for the help, i will set it up as you guys suggested and fingers crossed next weekend i may get up into the mountains and let her soar
Old Sep 11, 2003, 05:56 PM
Northern Ireland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
new tx help

Ok to be honest what with work commitments etc i havnt had the chance to fly the plane yet. But i have got my hands on the new JR 9X transmitter (well its currently being tracked on the way from Hong Kong). Does this give me more options with 9 channel available in set up. Any suggestions welcome.....Cheers
Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:59 AM
Santa Fe, Texas
Joined Oct 2002
402 Posts
Having a 9 channel radio will let you take full advantage of the 4 servo wing.

Put each flap and aileron on its own channel. Now you have full trailing edge camber and reflex. Mix your flaps to your ailerons and all control surfaces now are working to roll the airplane. Mix ailerons to flaps and flaps to elevator...elevator goes up flaps/ailerons go down.... i.e. the way the control line guys do it...loops so tight they will make your head spin.

Play around with it. I would caution to add new functions one at a time. Reduce throws at first to get used to the way the function works and be very careful to completely familiarize yourself with switch placement before relying on functions for contests. One switch out of place canreally mess up your weekend. Flying an approach with flap/ elevator mix on is a good way to learn to fly a figure 9. Every airplane out there can fly a figure 9 but very few can fly it tiwce.

Vince
Vince inTX. is offline Find More Posts by Vince inTX.
Last edited by Vince inTX.; Sep 12, 2003 at 01:01 AM.