HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithf View Post
Easiest method for cables is to have them exit the top surface of the wing. That way, you can bolt the wing to the fuse and THEN connect everything up via the opening at the rear of the wing saddle. No need to worry about making connections while balancing a heavy wing, and trying to tuck everything in before bolting down.
Not a bad idea about the wires exiting through the top. I can attest to the balance heavy wing while connecting wires and air lines (top flite Cessna 310). Did you have to drill the hole yourself?

Thanks
morganew is offline Find More Posts by morganew
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Joined Oct 2000
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganew View Post
Not a bad idea about the wires exiting through the top. I can attest to the balance heavy wing while connecting wires and air lines (top flite Cessna 310). Did you have to drill the hole yourself?
Yes, holes will need to be made. I used a dremel with grinding attachments for the openings - nice clean edges with rounded corners. Very easy.
Keithf is offline Find More Posts by Keithf
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Something else to think about-- you can put the receiver on the top of the wing. Receiver batteries can be there too.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Mar 24, 2012, 06:41 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Although not making much progress on the plane itself, I fixed the storage location for it. If you remember, it actually fell of last time, ripping the previous holders from the dry wall. This time, I screwed a 3/4" plywood plate straight to the beams in the wall in 3 places, and then used stronger arms.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Joined Oct 2000
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Something else to think about-- you can put the receiver on the top of the wing. Receiver batteries can be there too.
Exactly what I did with mine - receiver, rx battery, regulator, equaliser, and both ESCs are all on top of the wing. Then holes in wing skin to take cabling & air lines to their respective locations. Works very well.
Keithf is offline Find More Posts by Keithf
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
It takes some "out-of-box" thinking. We are used to see the fuselage as the electronics "center", but here we use the wing as the "center". The only things that will plug into it will be: batteries, rudder, elevator, nose steering (if separate from rudder), and one air line... Everything else is part of the wing assembly...
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
It takes some "out-of-box" thinking. We are used to see the fuselage as the electronics "center", but here we use the wing as the "center". The only things that will plug into it will be: batteries, rudder, elevator, nose steering (if separate from rudder), and one air line... Everything else is part of the wing assembly...
For anyone who has actually maidened their F7F, what CG seems to work well. The manual states 117mm, measured from the outboard side of the nacelles.Troy built (from where I purchased my plane) has a CG advisory for all ESM planes stating that modellers should reduce the recommended ESM CG by 25%, to move the CG forward some.

(http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/ns/in...gaddendum.html ),

This would make the F7F CG ~88mm. Can anyone confirm this works?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:15 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Tigercat at Wings over Arizona Fly-In

Here is mine taken at the Wings over Arizona fly-in last weekend.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Bob

Beautiful pic. Where is your CG?

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:11 AM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Per the plans.
Bob
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:57 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Bob
Great shot. I worked on a couple of other planes for a while and didn't make any progress on this one. Plus I had a major product launch this week which took me traveling quite a bit.

One question though-- which prop nuts did you use? Are those Tru-Turn?
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:06 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Yes those are Turn Turn spinners. Got them for Tower.
Bob
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
Yes those are Turn Turn spinners. Got them for Tower.
Bob
My build is coming along quite nicely. One problem I have noticed, when I test fitted the rudder, its WAY off. When aligned with the bottom of the vertical stab, the top of the rudder stands at least half inch off center. Very very badly warped. Anyone else with similar issues?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganew View Post
My build is coming along quite nicely. One problem I have noticed, when I test fitted the rudder, its WAY off. When aligned with the bottom of the vertical stab, the top of the rudder stands at least half inch off center. Very very badly warped. Anyone else with similar issues?
OK, so I'm not the only one to see this... Yes--got the same problem. Unbelievable. I actually didn't do anything about it, yet. What are you planning on doing?
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:34 PM
Joined Jan 2009
15 Posts
Quote:
OK, so I'm not the only one to see this... Yes--got the same problem. Unbelievable. I actually didn't do anything about it, yet. What are you planning on doing?
Not quite sure. Going to reach out to troybuiltmodels and see what their response is. Hopefully they will just send me a new one.

On another note, I have the new shiny finish, and between handling the parts, cleaning up excess epoxy with rubbing alcohol, I;ve got quite a few "matte: stains. How are people remedying this. Any way to get that shine back on the covering and painted areas?