Awesome Registered User!
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2006
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Where is spring, Texas?

Yoram

Ever hear of Houston? Well, Houston is a suburb of Spring..

Yeah, I may go for it and figure something out. Always wanted an Aeronaut F7F but this bad boy may be way more fun. Awfully heavy though. May need to see if some areas can't be trimmed and shaved here and there to knock off a few oz.'s anyway.
Beeg is offline Find More Posts by Beeg
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Aug 2009
137 Posts
Hi all,

I'm still alive !

Wind of Change you guessed it: Those (crappy) G160 HobbyKing Motors (which I have waited several weeks for) and also the Servos which I had ordered and still did not arrive yet brought my project to a (temporary) stop.

Another thing is that additionally I had (and still have) a lot of work in "real-life"..

But be assured that I will go on with the build as soon as possible.
I still love that plane !

Regards
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Good question. In the past I've started on big projects like this and then hit some sort of road block that just pissed me off. Warbirdpilot, for instance, bought two motors from the plane from HobbyKing, but they turned out to be total duds that he didn't dare put in the plane.

Things like that can seriously kill your momentum and often turn you away from the project for greener pastures. I started a CMP Me109 two years ago, spent $250 on the plane and over $300 on a pair of Sierra Giant air retracts & struts that were SUPPOSED to be a drop-in fit... and I mean the owner of Sierra personally told me on the phone they were a drop-in fit.

But they weren't anywhere NEAR a drop-in fit. They extended half an inch from the bottom of the wing, preventing me from using any gear doors and looking pretty stupid. So my only option was to rip the wing apart, install new rails that were more deeply inset to adjust for the poorly designed retracts.

That killed my momentum and the plane still sits unfinished in my hobby room. I've built 6 or 7 other planes since then. I'm still steamed at Sierra for lying to me.

Don't know what happened to Warbirdpilot... could be that, or any number of things. Sometimes my work gets busy and I lose all my free time to build. Sometimes family responsibilities have to move to the forefront for a time, or health issues take front seat.

It hasn't been that long, I'm sure he'll be back on here shortly to explain.
warbirdpilot is offline Find More Posts by warbirdpilot
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:39 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
If I get some free time, I will post more pictures and update. Things are moving along. I am thinking about possibly putting Robart main wheels and brakes. I was researching last night for proportional brake valve and found several possibilities there. There are a few pieces of hardware missing (I don't know if the rest of you found the same). 3x15mm washers, 3x50mm screws, etc. I'm visiting Elliott's twice a week, spending no more than $10 every time...

I'm still trying to figure out the propeller situation. On my 73" CMP P-40 I have a RIMFIRE 1.60 motor, and I started with 10S 5000mAh and 16x10x3 prop. However, now that I replaced the ESC with a CC 80HV, I can see that I'm not pulling more than 36A in the air at WOT. So, I'm up to 18x12x3 now, and will try to go from 10S to 12S. If I like what it feels like (it does feel "heavy" with the 10S, 16x10x3 setup), I will probably copy that setup to the F7F (with the Tacon Bigfoot 160). The only thing I'm still trying to figure out is the propeller situation. I want to have a regular (tractor) propeller on one motor, and a pusher on the other one, to eliminate prop torque and make life so much easier... However--it is hard to find the right pushers... Zinger is willing to create tooling for me for a one time fee of $150 (plus the price of the prop). Any other thoughts?
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:50 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
Xoar props have counter rotating props.
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:54 AM
United States, Mt, Libby
Joined Nov 2007
1,421 Posts
Quote:
If I get some free time, I will post more pictures and update. Things are moving along. I am thinking about possibly putting Robart main wheels and brakes. I was researching last night for proportional brake valve and found several possibilities there. the prop).
I have the Robart brakes on one of my aircraft and this is the proportional brake valve I am using.

http://minihobby.com/electronics/mhbrake.htm
Herman Munster is offline Find More Posts by Herman Munster
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Thanks, guys.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,041 Posts
Flew 5 more flights on my Tigercat at the AEF 2012. Here is a picture from Arizona Electric Festival 2012.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:05 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
I'm still waiting for ESM to pull their heads out and release V2 of their electric retracts for this. Just not in the mood to deal with air again, and the V1's were a joke. Hopefully the kit is still available when the retracts finally arrive.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
I'm still waiting for ESM to pull their heads out and release V2 of their electric retracts for this. Just not in the mood to deal with air again, and the V1's were a joke. Hopefully the kit is still available when the retracts finally arrive.
Hi Wind of change, my name is Tone and I work at Troy Built Models, we should have an initial 10 of those coming in on a container that should be here the end of the month. We also have 9 spoken for. If you don't already have one on back order I'd advise you to give us a call and put one on back order for you! There is no obligation to purchase if you change your mind and no deposit held.

I saw you also wanted the shiny version of the Tigercat. We have that coming in the end of the month as well.

For everyone else, we have upgrade parts for all our V1 retracts either in stock or on their way. It is technically less expensive to buy the V1 and upgrade parts than it is to just buy the V2.

bruff, I hope you don't mind but I've posted your picture of your Shiny F7F on our website for the time being until we can get one in stock to take pictures. If you don't want us using your picture please let me know and I'll take it down for you.
tone_tbm is offline Find More Posts by tone_tbm
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:05 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Sweet! PM Sent.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:31 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone_tbm View Post
Hi Wind of change, my name is Tone and I work at Troy Built Models, we should have an initial 10 of those coming in on a container that should be here the end of the month. We also have 9 spoken for. If you don't already have one on back order I'd advise you to give us a call and put one on back order for you! There is no obligation to purchase if you change your mind and no deposit held.

I saw you also wanted the shiny version of the Tigercat. We have that coming in the end of the month as well.

For everyone else, we have upgrade parts for all our V1 retracts either in stock or on their way. It is technically less expensive to buy the V1 and upgrade parts than it is to just buy the V2.

bruff, I hope you don't mind but I've posted your picture of your Shiny F7F on our website for the time being until we can get one in stock to take pictures. If you don't want us using your picture please let me know and I'll take it down for you.
Is there any other difference than the paint being shiny? The materials? Construction?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:17 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
I hope these new shiny ones don't have the same bubbling problem that the first batch had. Shiny looks so much nicer, so long as it doesn't bubble up in the sun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2009
10 Posts
Quote:
Is there any other difference than the paint being shiny? The materials? Construction?
Not to my knowledge, though we haven't seen one up close yet.

Quote:
I hope these new shiny ones don't have the same bubbling problem that the first batch had. Shiny looks so much nicer, so long as it doesn't bubble up in the sun.
I'm unaware of this problem. We have never stocked the shiny ones before now. Do you have any pictures you can show us?

As to everyone else, if you have any concerns with any of the ESM product line please let us know. We need everyone's feedback to make this product better and better!
tone_tbm is offline Find More Posts by tone_tbm
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:46 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Don't ask. This is the first time I crashed a plane before I finished building it... I built a wall hanger for the plane, just like I did for all others. I haven't finished building it, and one day, one of the hangers just tore off the wall, and the plane fell to the ground. Minimal damage, but I had to fix it before I could continue building. How annoying!!!
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:13 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
Flew 5 more flights on my Tigercat at the AEF 2012. Here is a picture from Arizona Electric Festival 2012.
Bob
What an amazing photo. I believe a few friends of mine saw your plane fly in this event last week. They flew especially from Texas, and one of them even texted me a picture of your plane...