HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:35 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,467 Posts
I'll tell you what, $319 for a tricycle retract for a 30lb plane including the struts and wheels is not bad at all...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Oh yeah! Specially with the wierd geometry...
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:03 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,467 Posts
See? Now you made me raise the F7F higher on my list of "to finish building..."
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:06 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Ha ha ha.... The only thing stopping me is my delivery is late...
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:01 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
My Tigercat arrived and the only issue was the cheap Chinese masking tape holding the fuse parts ha lost its tack and allowed the nose door to slide around scratching the finish a bit, easy to fix. However, there was a ding in the fuse which looked like a hard hit that cracked through the glass skin finish and exposed the inner glass coat.

I contacted TBM and they were on it right away, amazing service! The scratches are easy to fix with some spit but the ding will take some work & here is my effort so far..

It took about three hours and some supplies from my LHS.

I got some light fiberglass cloth, 30 minute epoxy and paint. The big issue was the paint, I had to get Tamiya sea blue and Model Master gun metal but neither is a good match. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Looking at the outside of the fuse you can see the stress cracks radiating from the hole so I suspect it got hit hard right at that point some time during its life. I glass & epoxied the inside and used epoxy to fill the missing shell on the outside. Once he epoxy hardened it is sanded away to leave only epoxy in the crack area.

If you look at the pictures you can see the cracks and the poor colour match (kind of a green hue). Let me know if you guys have a better colour match.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:26 PM
Pompano Hill Flyer
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Apr 2003
412 Posts
If you have any small parts with those colors take them to Home Depot or Lowes paint dept. and ask them to match them for you. It will cost you about $8.00 for both samples.
Amos
egras14 is offline Find More Posts by egras14
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:40 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
I have tried that in the past but never got a close enough match to be happy. Maybe this matte finish might be closer.....
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:55 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,636 Posts
Guys, those of you who have finished one of these - what sort of build time have you guys put into these? Is there a lot of engineering left to do?
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:36 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Motor mount standoff dimension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
See? Now you made me raise the F7F higher on my list of "to finish building..."
Earlier you posted that you used 40mm spacers to mount the motors. Was that dimension based on the back plate of the prop mount clearing the front of the cowl & by how much?

Thanx..
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:57 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,467 Posts
It was, but I don't remember by how much...
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Ok, thanks..
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,269 Posts
I just ordered a shiny version and will be at my place next week. I am using this as a stepping stone to my other project I have on the boards, a Don Smith B24, 146" wingspan scratch built. It uses four DLE20 engines and all of the same servos. I will be continuing the break in of the four engines on this place while practicing and perfecting multi engine flying in preparation for the bomber maiden, probably sometime next year. This will be a very nice plane to do the testing, I really like the looks of it. Unfortunately it will take the front seat on building and move the bomber aside for a little while but I expect the assembly of this one to only take a week or two. Thanks for the thread here and all the information provided.
mirored is offline Find More Posts by mirored
Last edited by mirored; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:01 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
Any progress? Mine is still in the queue. All the parts are here but I have to get the other builds completed first. No room for multiple builds.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:46 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,467 Posts
Neah... Started on a seagull T-6AM texan II and still working on the L39 for now. I believe I can get those two will fly this year.
Old Jun 04, 2013, 11:01 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,343 Posts
I have been steadily assembling my Tigercat and there are some serious issues with the fit..

The nacelles are an issue, the main tube was not aligned either in the main wing or the nacelles whichever it was, the nacelles would not sit flat against the inner main wing so there was lots of sanding and cursing and swearing.

I will have to paint the nacelles after I fill the joint and sand it smooth..

The horizontal stabs are the same issue, they don't sit flat against the fuse & needed severe attention... Moe filling & sanding & painting..

The M3 * 50mm screws used in the control horn assemblies are missing. I had to go get a whole set of extra strong horns, more hassles..

I am still undecided about the batteries, I am using 4 5 cell, 4000s 2 in series then those in parallel to make a 10 cell 8000 pack. Figuring out the CG and battery placement will be the next trick..

To their credit, the guys at TroyBuilt have been trying their best to help with solutions..