HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: What batteries do you use?
Stock Eflite 32 69.57%
Tenergy 550 15C 2 4.35%
Overland 1 2.17%
Intellect 25C 2 4.35%
Tiger 15C 8 17.39%
Bigger size lipos 6 13.04%
Other brand 10 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Blade 120 SR Mods and Tuning only

I would like to collect the modding possibilities, DIY tricks of this great heli to serve much more fun!

Headlines: battery holder, landing gear, rewire, JST plugs replacing, tail support, canopy, fuselage

If you have made some, please share here!

Just started this thread because make easier to find the modding tips, than needed to browse tons of pages in the global topics...

This thread is not for flying or troubleshooting/settings...this is for modding tips!

My stuffz are on the way, so I will post the followings:

- Xtreme CX2 canopy installation and paintjob
- rewiring the motor+batery cables with thicker cables
- landing gear mod with Xtreme Trex 250 landing gear
- battery holder mod supporting the great 900mAh 25C lipos

Cheerz,
B.
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Last edited by bulesz; Apr 09, 2011 at 05:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:06 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Easy to make tail bearing holder

Tail bearing "holder": the best way to keep it in place after some tough "meeting" with nice objects is using dental floss!
Use a loop in the shaft (under the tail rotor) and superglue the two ends to the plastic motor holder. I will make some photo about it.
It has no weight and cost nothing.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:37 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Zero cost ~zero weight strut reinforcement, put a rubberband or 2 around the struts, inhibits splay cracking. LHS has this on all their demos.

Slight flighttime improvement on stock battery: After Celectra turns off, wait 15min and turn it back on. It will top off for about a minute. My old Esky chargers did this without intervention but once Celectra turns off it doesn't turn back on by itself.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:54 PM
buy a lot, fly a little!
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Central And Western District
Joined May 2001
5,591 Posts
Are you going to show us how you did this mod's or at least give more details on them, it would be interested to know.

For example:

what exactly is the wire mod and why is it done?

How to we mod the battery holder for the 900mah lipo?

Thanks,

s.
stuart warne is online now Find More Posts by stuart warne
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: JR P-38 take 2.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 11:40 PM
Joined Mar 2011
197 Posts
I have (very carefully) superglued the bearing holder directly to the motor..have had no issues. I've had a few crashes where the rotor has popped off and the holder has stayed put. It's easy enough to snap it cleanly off with needle nose pliers if need be. (I experimented)
Coptafeel is offline Find More Posts by Coptafeel
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart warne View Post
Are you going to show us how you did this mod's or at least give more details on them, it would be interested to know.

For example:

what exactly is the wire mod and why is it done?

How to we mod the battery holder for the 900mah lipo?

Thanks,

s.
Yes, but of course not only me, if anybody has a god tip to make this great heli better, would be great to share here!

The wire mod:

I just replaced the wire of 5-1 - motor (direct cable without JST plug) and 5-1 - battery (using micro Deans instead of JST) with thicker wire than the stock.
Why? Because the thicker cable is much better for the higher C batteries...(instead of heating the plugs or cable could give more power to the motor with its smaller resistant)
To get the perfect result use this mod with higher C rate batteries (25C)!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:54 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbilab View Post
Zero cost ~zero weight strut reinforcement, put a rubberband or 2 around the struts, inhibits splay cracking. LHS has this on all their demos.

Slight flighttime improvement on stock battery: After Celectra turns off, wait 15min and turn it back on. It will top off for about a minute. My old Esky chargers did this without intervention but once Celectra turns off it doesn't turn back on by itself.
I was thinking about the same, but with normal "kitchen"rubber cross the landing gears (X instead of perpendicular)

Wouldnt the overcharge harm the overall batterylife? I use my stock batteries only for ballast now.. Because I dont trust them...they are performing 1-3 mins...and I dont like that surprise when they are losing the power while making a fast maneuver over the lake..
Old Apr 10, 2011, 02:55 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coptafeel View Post
I have (very carefully) superglued the bearing holder directly to the motor..have had no issues. I've had a few crashes where the rotor has popped off and the holder has stayed put. It's easy enough to snap it cleanly off with needle nose pliers if need be. (I experimented)
Wow, brave solution..with my shaking hands I couldnt make it...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:03 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Xtreme canopy mod

I have decided to replacing my beloved red Blade canopy to Xtreme, because of the bombproof crash resistance...Its make from one piece of lexan, very flexible but because of the Egg shell shape its very strong overall!

Its clean so you can paint it as you like....(I have painted this by hand...my next one will be spray Lexan painting fluorescent orange/black/white with transculent orange Tamiya PS43....I hope that will be better... )

The stock canopy is around 6g this is 7g after painting.

this was my first inside painting so I have learnt the lession (there wasnt any instructions came):

1. put the added windscreen masking sticker first...
2. use the opposite direction than painting outside, should start with the dark painting FIRST!
3. drill the holes instead of just pushing out...
4. you can cut the top of the canopy over the motor for the better (MUCH better!) cooling keep the canopy strength
5. that big gray sticker is for the bottom of the canopy...
Last edited by bulesz; Apr 10, 2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 05:56 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Cut the top of the landing gear

Another important mod, is cut the top of the back left landing gear. The pic could demonstrate better than my tired english...

So the frame will be flat and couldnt hit the servo gear with a hard landing!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:47 AM
Italia, Puglia, Taranto
Joined Feb 2011
102 Posts
Hi all and nice Sunday to everybody,

I didn't know that another post was already opened, more specific on the modifications of this wonderful model.

My sincere apologize for this, so I will let you know about my adventure with this model, I'm a fun of Reproduction Helicopters....to say in little world, every time I look a model ....my immagination start immediately to run.....

here it is my third and last episode on this awesome model, dedicated to the adjustments to the painting job done on the fuselage with my airbrush,to the creation of the decals and to a flight in open area in my usual Flight Field , just beside the Wind-Mill :

RC Heli - E-Flite Blade 120 SR , with Kestrel 500 SX Fuselage - Scale Body MD 530 - Part 3.wmv (17 min 13 sec)

for who of you missed the previous episode, here they are :

RC Heli - E-Flite Blade 120 SR , with Kestrel 500 SX Fuselage - Scale Body MD 530 - Part 1.wmv (14 min 57 sec)
Part 1, dedicated to the job in order to adapt the MD530 fuselage

RC Heli - E-Flite Blade 120 SR , with Kestrel 500 SX Fuselage - Scale Body MD 530 - Part 2.wmv (18 min 11 sec)
Part 2, dedicated to the painting of the fuselage with my "Badger Airbrush"

the final weight rised with the modifications and new battery of 700 mAh to 141 gramms, it continue to fly very well......the modifications I made are related only to the adapting process of the fuselage, to the building of the new landing skyds and to an use of a new and more powerful battery.....all the rest of the heli is still original

I hope you enjoy to see them

best regards

Fabio

P.S. please if you have question....I will be more than proud to answer you,
so don't hesitate on this......and sorry for my English Language.....I'm an Italian Professional Soldier that works in a NATO Base in Holland....so Italian is my first language....thank you for understanding
Fabio1970 is offline Find More Posts by Fabio1970
Last edited by Fabio1970; Apr 11, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:56 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1970 View Post
Hi all and nice Sunday to everybody,

I didn't know that another post was already opened, more specific on the modifications of this wonderful model.

My sincere apologize for this, so I will let you know about my adventure with this model, I'm a fun of Reproduction Helicopters....to say in little world, every time I look a model ....my immagination start immediately to run.....

here it is my third and last episode on this awesome model, dedicated to the adjustments to the painting job done on the fuselage with my airbrush,to the creation of the decals and to a flight in open area in my usual Flight Field , just beside the Wind-Mill :

for who of you missed the previous episode, here they are :

Part 1, dedicated to the job in order to adapt the MD530 fuselage

Part 2, dedicated to the painting of the fuselage with my "Badger Airbrush"

the final weight rised with the modifications and new battery of 700 mAh is now of 141 gramms, it continue to fly very well......the modifications I made are regarding only the adapt process of the fuselage and landing skyds and battery.....all the rest of the heli is still original

I hope you enjoy to see them

best regards

Fabio

P.S. please if you have question....I will be more than proud to answer you,
so don't hesitate on this......and sorry for my English Language.....I'm an Italian Professional Soldier that works in a NATO Base in Holland....so Italian is my first language....thank you for understanding
Thanks for sharing, its very nice job dude!
Do you know the MIA fuselage? its about the same as the Kressel...I mean the same type...I dont know the differences in the details....

Other question: dont you think about replace the wires (motor and battery cable) with thicker one? The motor JST plug and the stock battery cable and JST plug also have much more unnecessary resistance which is blocked the electricy flown which could provide a higher C rate battery...

I did this with my chopter but waiting for my 25C batteries to finalize the modding... (replacing the JST plugs to micro Deans)
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:01 AM
Italia, Puglia, Taranto
Joined Feb 2011
102 Posts
thank you....to you

I'm very happy to share informations.....so far my job was focused in the aesthetical side........I never tried to do this...but I heard that It works....so please give me more detail on how I have to do this mod.

I know very well the MIA fuselage and I like it, in the kit there is also the landing skids.......if you see my first video I made mine....how a lot of work and efforts I needed...mamma mia ......sometime also frustrating...but at the end I'm happy about the results.........of course the MIA kit is better made and simple to substitute

thank you so much

Fabio
Fabio1970 is offline Find More Posts by Fabio1970
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:15 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1970 View Post
thank you....to you

I'm very happy to share informations.....so far my job was focused in the aesthetical side........I never tried to do this...but I heard that It works....so please give me more detail on how I have to do this mod.

I know very well the MIA fuselage and I like it, in the kit there is also the landing skids.......if you see my first video I made mine....how a lot of work and efforts I needed...mamma mia ......sometime also frustrating...but at the end I'm happy about the results.........of course the MIA kit is better made and simple to substitute

thank you so much

Fabio
Yes, I can imagine...I could be so mad during simple painting the canopy.....

The rwire is very simple, just replace the cables (motor-5-1 and the battery cable) to thicker one, with soldering...I will take some pics of that...I just kept the original battery cable too, for the stock batteries..but they are sooo weak, so I will wont use them at all, and cut that cable off... (2-3g saving! )
Old Apr 10, 2011, 03:12 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Wouldnt the overcharge harm the overall batterylife?
Don't think so. Remember when you fly it to blink, set down wait a min, it will fly another 30sec before blink again? There's that 'rebound' effect at the top end too.

When charger sees terminal voltage and stops, batt rebounds slightly toward discharge over the rest period. If it still saw terminal voltage when we restart it, would stop immediately. But it doesn't. It takes 1-3min to reach terminal V again.

So we're not "over" charging it, the charger will not permit that. Just filling the rebound zone. BTW, I charge at 1C/500mA specifically to get longest batt life. Takes longer, but I've got more time than money.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab