HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2003, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2003
57 Posts
cox mini sky cruiser

i dont know if anyone has tried this yet but it is a great conversion. i remember someone did a spicy wing conversion that looked similar to the sky cruiser but i am not sure. i got the low wing version of the plane from walmart for $7. i had a motorworks car from there as well. and i also had a airhogs plane that is the same thing as a echarger. i used the sky cruiser prop and the echarger motor, with the motorworks rx (with no reverse mod) and 3 nimh's. i did not give it rudder control because i just wanted to see if it would fly. well, it definately flies and has plenty of power! i threw it in my garage and from hand level it was at the ceiling in no time. it flew great outside as well. but after a few flights the motor started to got really slow and eventually stop even with a full charge. i thought i had burnt out the rx but it ran my other motors just fine. so i opened up the m20 and saw that half of one of the brushes was gone. i dont know why. it cant be from the voltage, it didnt even get warm. i think it might have been from too many crashes. im going to get another motor and will post my results. this is a great conversion to try. so do it! thanks for reading. vin
vinnyg is offline Find More Posts by vinnyg
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2003, 11:22 AM
Team 30 Micro EDF
Camarillo, California
Joined Apr 2002
4,516 Posts
Vin,

The Mini Sky Cruisers are the same as the Spicy Wings except they are sold under the Cox label instead of the Estes label, and they have different color schemes. I have a conversion article on my web site in the 'Micro Planes' page and also on DWE's website (http://www.smallrc.com under the 'Documentation' heading).

I used the KP-00s on mine and they will fly pretty good with that set up, but the plane in the movie (Spicy Wings over T.O.) doing the aerobatics used a Kenway 4.2:1 gearbox with the KP-00 sized motor from the E-Charger plane and a 4 1/2 prop for a CO2 motor. The prop is about the same as the 10 cm prop that Bob Selman recommends for the Kenway set ups he sells at http:/www.users.joplin.com/~bselman
Mike Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mike Taylor