SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cyclops2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 04:22 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Discussion
Honda is a great car. But the brake rotors are Bananas.

Anybody else have 1 or more warped rotors ? Mine is a bought new 2007 Accord V6. Wear rate of the rear pads is all over the place. The 4 old pads were from almost new & 3/4 left on the right rear.
To 1 mm & 1/8" left on the left rear. Weird. No one but the wife & me drive it. Neither of use drive with 2 feet on the gas & brake pedals
What causes such uneven wear on 4 pads ?
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:31 PM
St Louis, Mo
Joined Oct 2010
49 Posts
Some times the slides on the calipers rust and bind so they stay slightly applied. some times a caliper or brake hose will go bad so only 1 side works. Warped rotors happen on most all cars.
K.Jones is offline Find More Posts by K.Jones
Old Apr 09, 2011, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
The guys at The Honda dealer gave me a honest warning about the 1 mm left.

As I checked that side of the 1 mm rotor. There was the begining of metal to metal just starting on the outer edge about 1/8" X 4'' long.

The other rear wheel has no metal to metal. But it does have a "tick" every revolution.

At 73 I lived with drums While I street raced & never saw drums look as crummy as disc rotors.

Normal ?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:44 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Sounding to me you are having an unusual experience. I think it might be neither of you are braking hard enough for the breaks to apply evenly.

My mothers car would start to brake weird to her. I would take it out and brake hard a few times and that would fix the problem.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:04 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
If that is possible. That could be very true. We both brake very early With a smooth steady slow down. I just put new pads in and all lurching during a downhill are gone. The smooth stops last for about 3,000 miles then return. The steeper & harder braking force needed AFTER 3,000 miles causes a more visable lurching stop. the lurching is not present from 70 mph down to 45 mph. It occurs from 45 to a dead stop.

I will check the rotors for loose bearings & where the runouts are.

Thanks for the "fuddy duddy" braking information. We are retired seniors.

I now know I am getting old when My V6 does not keep the pads clean enough.

Many thanks.
Rich
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:29 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Lurching sounds like warped disks. I have to wonder if your calipers are seized causing one brake pad to rub continuously heating the rotor up. Would explain the one worn pad and warped rotor = lurching.

Were the rotors turned?
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Apr 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,891 Posts
Back when I was a mechanic full time in the mid 90's, there were a couple car brands that we only used OEM brake parts on. Two of those were Honda and Toyota. We tried the best aftermarket and still had comebacks for warping, chattering or noise. The OEM stuff never had issues, so we stuck with it even though it was more expensive. As a rule, we would always replace pads and rotors together.

The uneven wear would make me take a look at the caliper mounting hardware. Four years is not an age where I would suspect a sticky caliper or bad hose. Since you're in NJ, rusted hardware is a very good possibility.
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
I just got off the Honda brake forums. Not good remarks about stock pads. Seems non OEM ceramics are stopping all the problems. Funny thing or not. The rotor surfaces are NOT that smooth shiny surface I expected to see. They look dull with lots of brown/black spots side by side. Even a few 1" long surface black lines in the rotor. Almost like free floating shallow surface cracks.
Can crappy metal look that bad ?

I am open to anything. The brakes work fine for stopping. But They look like crap. Rotors & pads.

I had a bus cut me off after buying it new. I almost pulled the wheel off from standing up & pushing down with both feet.
I checked the rotors & thought they looked like a brownish crap metal then. Does Honda use crummy metal rotors ?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:09 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Quote:
Does Honda use crummy metal rotors
Only if you think of the life cycle of an old 57 chevy, same steel made it to my dodge springs.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:50 PM
Cognito, Ergo Imbibo
Morgan Hill, CA
Joined Sep 2007
311 Posts
I'd throw in a set of new rotors. They used to be expensive, but not any more. You can buy Chinese made rotors for less than $20.

I've had problems with non OEM pads on a VW Passat. The OEM's are soft and throw a lot of black brake dust onto the wheels, but they stop well. The harder ceramic ones seemed to warp the rotors, but they also didn't grab well, which made for longer stopping distance. I have a Honda now & I haven't had to do anything to the brakes yet, so I'm interested to know if you solve this.

Dan
old_dan is offline Find More Posts by old_dan
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
Duh
grain valley mo, or about 25 minutes east of kansas city
Joined Jan 2004
595 Posts
if you really want to know what is going on then block up the car so all four tires are in the air (or you could do this one tire at a time, it's just easier to compare if you can go from one tire to the next), see how much effort it takes to turn each tire with out the brakes. then have someone else apply the brakes gently and see if there is any difference in how much it takes to turn them if they will. play with them at different brake pressures. then apply the brakes hard and let off, then see if any of them are sticking. this can tell you alot. if you have one that is sticking, open the bleeder and see if it lets off, that is indicator of a partially clogged line. if it don't release it's either the caliper of the mounts it slides on. if one consistanly doesn't apply at low brake pressures have someone hold the brakes and loosen that bleeder, if it squirts out hard then the caliper is brobably sticking, if it hardly comes out, trickles or doesn't squirt at all then the line is clogged. I like to know what is going on with my vehicles, if a caliper is sticking I replace it or rebuild it, cracked rubber lines or clogged lines get replaced. if you have to baby a car because of a problem it will only hurt you when you get in a sticky situation. oh, I'm not trying to sound negative so don't take how I said any of this personal, on the other hand if you want to do all that you need help. it's a good time to get the wife or kids/grandkids involved in car maintenance, they can apply the brakes, be your safety person etc. never get under a car without jackstands under it (don't trust a jack of any kind) or with out someone there, they can at least call 911 if something happens (better than the wife finding you later). on the positive side you can save a lot of money doing your own repairs, that means more money for the models (or to take the wife out to dinner) lol.
Jason
crashawk is offline Find More Posts by crashawk